Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Summer of Canning  (Read 3504 times)

rthepunk

• View Profile
Summer of Canning
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:10:28 PM »

A few groups that most of us here belong to keep talking about a high PF.  I've been prepping for 2 years, mainly learning the old ways, country ways of my great grandparents who were homesteaders.  Back atthe turn of the centruy, most rural folks were homestead farmers.  My PF has been up and down for 2 years, but the overall trend is up.  Keeping an eye on all the financial news, I'm thinking that this summer is very important for pulling in a much harvest as possible.  To that end,I'm canning and saving everything.

So far this season, I've canned: several dozen pints asparagus, several dozen strawberry jam, dozen sweet cherry jam, and black raspberry jam.  I'm picking my blueberries tomorrow and will put up a dozen or so pints for pies and other cooking items.  Heck, if I can get a lot more before I pass out from the sun, I'll dehydrate a bunch like I did with some strawberries.

My garden is starting to come in.  I picked a bowl full of string beans today.  Probably 2 quarts full, but I prepped and frozen them.  Although I'm in the city on abut 1/8 of an acre, I'm planted intensely.  It was a nice link with the ancestors -- putting the beans I was picking in an old metal bowl that had been my grandmas.

Best to all,
Susan

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Re: Summer of Canning
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:25:30 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do your asparagus?  Regular (in a pressure cooker) or pickle?  I still don't have a pressure canner.  I may be able to get one within the next few months once my husband realizes we are not going broke because we have added a car payment (first one will be made today).

rthepunk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:46:45 PM »

I process mine in pints in a pressure canner using this web site for processing times.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

If you don't have one, try an add in the paper or freecycle.  It's one of the best purchases I ever made.

Susan

rthepunk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »

Back with the mid-July update.  Canned several dozen pints of tart cherries for pies and several dozen of blueberries.  Did a small canner load of dill pickles.Thisweekend I'm picking up a bushel of pickling cucumbers from a local farm .... yum... bread and butter pickles.

Brenda, hope you get that pressure canner...  look into the All-American brand.They come in various sizes.The best feature is no rubber gaskets to replace.Metal on metal.  Works beautifully.   A couple years back a few ladies on the backwoodshome.com (magazine's web site) forum recommended this brand.

Susan

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »

I am waiting for the wild blackberry crop which looks promising again this year to happen.... berries are just setting on here, gonna make 15 gallons of blackberry wine ok not quite, but close..... maybe 12-13 in my 15 gallon barrel...... just for medicinal purposes ya know.

Ok maybe I will can up a few quarts, or make some jam, or something [my wife absolutely has never canned anything but is willing to learn some.  after all I can pick a couple gallons of the berries an hour around these parts..... they make an awesome cobbler paired up with rhubarb it is even better.

William
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 01:07:24 AM »

I'd love an All American canner, they are pricey but will last a life time. About $200 for the 21 quart.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »

$200 really is not pricey unless a person is like me and has trouble rubbing to quarters together part time of the month......lol  I mean when it comes right down to it, quality is not as expensive as replacing disposable items that we all tend to purchase cause they are not so "pricey" or "spendy" as some of the folks around these parts call it.

I tend to save for an item and even though it is a goal, sometimes when i reach the point of being able to purchase it, it may be out of season so i purchase some other thing and then go back to saving and miss the season I should have bought that item for already....lol and the cycle of hesitation begins anew..... yeah it is the wrong way to do things, and a bad habit but at least i recognize my faults I have..... and i am getting better about certain things....... and a canner has made it way up on the list of needs and wants.... and it made it over to the NEED category this year, though it should have been there before.

At least the local hardware store carries the American brand canners so i am able to get one when i do save up the cash and not have to wait for an order to come in, and i believe in buying as much local as i can, to keep them open as long as possible, causei dislike to travel 70 miles just to get to the great wallmart of China to make purchases....

blueduck
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »

I'd love an All American canner, they are pricey but will last a life time. About $200 for the 21 quart.

I have pretty much let my husband know I want what I want (he knows how I get when I settle for less and it's junk).  Now it's up to him to setup the time frame.  :)  I may have one this year!  I'm so excited!

rthepunk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:17:30 PM »

Blueduck.  Blackberries are coming in here in MD.  Unfortunately, here in suburbia I can't go into the woods to find some like growing up in PA.I'll be  going to a pick-your-own farm. I've never put up blackberries,but I guess I'll need to make jelly or jam.  Berries wouldn't can too good, they'd probably smoosh up.  But the wine.... now that sounds fine.

Brenda, hope you can get that All-American.  Maybe if you can't get it this season, you can find a sale on them.   

Can't imagine a place where pressure canners are sold at the hardware store.  Heck, you can hardly find canning supplies in MD.  Everyone thinks produce and meat grows in the store . ;D

Anyway, I know of a farm in the mountains near the PA border that sells fruits and veggies inexpensively.  So, I picked up a 1/2 bushel of cucumbers and just canned 25 quarts and 6 pints of bread and butter and dill pickels.  I had done a dozen dills about 2 weeks ago.

The beets in my garden are ready so this weekend, I'm making pickled beets.... tangy ones!. 

Coming up in a couple weeks, the tomatoes.  I have about 14 plants with around 100 green tomatoes ready to turn. 

We live on about 1/4 acre or less, but I have veggies crammed in everywhere.   :)

(no lawns; more food)   :D

Have a good week, all.
Susan

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:07:33 AM »

Susan,

That's what I am finally trying to get going around my house.  I live in town, and have a dog that just loves to dig so everything has to be in the front yard.  Canning is my main focus for my edible yard in my head.  I had originally planned not to do anything with the yard but we have been renting this house for three years and I would rather have the yard as functional as possible.  The best thing is my husband is on board with it.  :)

rthepunk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 07:55:18 PM »

Hey, as long as your landlord doesn't mind; go for it.  Usually a landlord will be lenient about things when they know they have good tenants.  The wonderful part is that you can grown veggies that develop underground and most people will have no clue what you're growing.  Guess it depends on the area.  Here in MD, most city people would walk by beet, celery, or potato plant tops poking out not knowing what's going undergound. 
Also, you can grow potatoes in layers in tires or a round form of some sort.  We're going to do that next year since our potatoes are taking over too much precious space.

This weekend I canned 20 quarts and 11 pints of fresh corn -- from a local far, and 4 more quarts of tomatoes from my garden.

It's Sunday night and now I have to go back to work.

Try landscaping with potatoes and beets in the front yard. 

Susan
Pages: [1]   Go Up