Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retort pouches pros and cons  (Read 108752 times)

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Retort pouches pros and cons
« on: October 25, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »

Retorts are ok for holding foods safely, but need some sort of water bath or heater, if you are going to have a warm / hot meal. There some issues with re using that water, as the packaging can leach off certain chemicals, thus making that water something other than potable. It may be ok to shave with, but not drink or brush your teeth with.

Most MREs use retort pouches to a large degree. The retort does not break down in nature, and over time, a build up of these materials can be an attractor to critters and vermin.

Some good things, a retort pouch, opened length wise on a seam can make a quick container for all of the other components of an MRE.

They can be rolled and made smaller, if you can carry it out. low impact camping (Leaving nothing but foot prints) or recon missions, as an example.

This also brings to mind the MRE heaters, which are water acivated, generate heat but reacting to the water and give of hydrogen gas, so ventilation and not having it next to your body is important.

As the heaters are reactive, they are considered to be a hazardous waste unless expended. Note if you are familiar with dry ice and water in a confined space, heater packs can do the same.

The Hydrogen gas is flammable, and in close range stinks, but not half as bad as the heat tabs for Tommy cooker stoves.

Just a few comments.

Grog
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Retort pouches pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »

Retort pouch meals can be eaten without heating, they are pre-cooked. This is good for when you are on the go and don't have time to heat them, or when you need a quick meal. Depending on the time of year they can be heated to some degree simply by letting them get sunlight. The contents can also be put into a pan and heated directly over a fire or cook stove.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up