Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pressure Canner  (Read 4330 times)

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Pressure Canner
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:33:32 PM »

Hubby ordered my pressure canner Friday!  I can't wait!  If anyone wants one, here's where I got it:

http://e.sears.com/a/hBJGJX3BC9TDBBO3f9ECYCT-l.BC9TDBO$/x9?LINK=p_10153_12605_00897315000P

It's a Presto 16 qt. Pressure Canner for $89.99!  We paid no shipping and I think they are still offering no shipping.

I'm so happy!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Pressure Canner
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »

Very cool :D
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure Canner
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:11:12 PM »

My pressure canner arrived today!  I heard someone say something about this type of canner.  They mentioned that the best way to go is with a weighted pressure canner.  I'm not sure I would be able to tell 10 lbs of pressure from 20 lbs pressure just by sound.  That's why I got one with a gauge. 

So, beside taking it out of the box and washing it, the first thing I am going to do is re-process some #10 cans of potatoes and beets.  I couldn't open them because the rest of the cans' contents would have been wasted (I'm the only one in the house that likes beets).

I'm really excited!  As I figure out different recipes, I'll post them here an on my blog.  BTW, on my blog (I'm in a hurry so I won't go get the link) is a link to canning pumpkin pie filling.  I know the USDA does not recommend canning pureed pumpkin but read the link.  She had been doing it for years before the new recommendations.

;D

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 10:37:12 PM »

Generally the weighted ones come with weights for the different pressures, at least that is my understanding. So if you need 10 pounds you use the weight for same.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »

Generally the weighted ones come with weights for the different pressures, at least that is my understanding. So if you need 10 pounds you use the weight for same.

See, that's what I didn't understand.  I like the idea of numbers to look at.  I don't know.  I'm just glad to have any pressure canner right now after 20 years of wanting one.

Jerry D Young

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:40:48 AM »

Happy canning!
Jerry D Young

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »

Happy canning!

Thank you, Jerry.  You should have seen me yesterday, explaining to my 16 y.o. son the difference between the water bath canner and the pressure canner.  He still didn't quite understand, so I said, "See everything in the pantry?  I can now make ALL of that!"

Jerry D Young

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »

If you get a chance, definately can some spiced peaches. There isn't anything I've found commercially quite like them. With ice cream, or banana nut bread...
Jerry D Young

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »

Thought I might as well keep this alive as it has merit. We started out looking for another freezer actually. Came home with a 21 qt water bath canner and pressure cooker. Now we need to learn how to use it!! Any reliable you tube video's you have tried? Going to try and see if the local community college has any courses. So few folks doing it any more they are hard to find.
 Been wanting to do this for a while and well just kinda fell into place today.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »

Ball has a good book on how to can using the water bath method.

Many manufacturers of pressure canners include some recipes to get you started.

I have come across some videos from the various state extension services, I'll see if I can find links for them.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »

There are different pressure settings based on the food you are canning.  I end up doing it all at the same pressure setting because no matter what, my canner likes being at 15 pounds pressure.  I have one with a gasket.  It's a great idea to get some extras so you have them on hand in case you get ready to can and the dang thing is cracked.

To water bath or pressure can: If you are canning low acid foods or meat (anything with meat), use the pressure canner.  My "bible" is "Stocking Up 3" http://www.amazon.com/Stocking-Up-III-Americas-Preserving/dp/0878576134.  Notice the used prices (less than 1 dollar)?

Water Bath or Pressure Can:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_c2Fz4e6XQ

Basic pressure canning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-fFAlldDKM

Then just do a search for canning on You Tube.  There are too many good videos for me to list.  One thing I have to keep in mind (because I get distracted and forget sometimes) is you can't re-use the lids once you pressure can.  I know you aren't supposed to anyway but I have managed to reuse lids that have been processed in a water bath canner but the high heat and pressure of the pressure canners messes up the rubber too much.  They have those nifty new-old canning jars that are similar to the wire bale jars (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/weck-4.5-oz.-canning-jar/s261389?a=1552&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CM2f587nu7gCFWxyQgod5UoA2A) but I like my jars to explode (or bulge) if I've done something wrong.  It just kind of scares me not knowing if anything has gone bad until I open it up.  I'd be so paranoid I'd end up tossing foods based solely on how long they have been on the shelf.

Once you do it a few times, you'll be a pro.  Then, you have to take the plunge and can just meat.  It's so much easier than you think!  I still haven't done bacon.  That's one I have wanted to try but the bacon ends up in my mouth instead of in the jar!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

My girlfriend REFUSES to can meat. But she's fine with freeze dried so Mountain House cans it is.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:48:22 AM »

I wish she would try it, just once.  Can some meat, use it soon (within a week).  The difference in taste, texture, and quality is amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up