Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meat Preservation  (Read 7551 times)

Tuatara

• View Profile
Re: Meat Preservation
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 01:09:09 AM »

Isn't that pretty much the way these things work?

I've heard it referred to as (both) "enticing" and/or "tickling" the palate...

A ship in the harbour is safe – but that is not what ships are built for...

Tuatara

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 11:02:49 PM »

To further "tickle the palate" + (of course) for the purposes of nutrition - here is a great wee article on the basics of sausage-making...

The Basics of Sausage Making

Sausage Casings
There are basically two main types of casing natural and synthetic.
The natural are often made from the intestines of animals, they are often irregular in size, diameter and strength and come in a variety of forms, often they need to be soaked or otherwise prepared before using.
The synthetic come in a range of diameter sizes and are more uniform in strength, generally they do not need any special preparation.
Where to get them is not that simple, if you can find a local butcher that make their own sausages (not that easy these days), they might be able to supply you.
If you wish to purchase sausage casing and other related products online try: www.sausagemaking.org
Some butchers or cook shops will them order for you, the chances are that you will have to buy in commercial quantities though.
You could also try, your local cook-shop Yellow Pages or the web for local manufacturers who might sell you a small quantity.
Alternatively, you could make skinless sausages, by rolling into shape by hand and then giving them a light coating of seasoned flour or breadcrumbs.
Or, make patties from the sausage meat.

Mincing
Cut the meat into cubes small enough to easily fit your mincer or food processor.
For most NZ/British/Irish-style (I guess - also American?) sausages the meat should be minced very finely, but this is a matter of personal choice and the recipe used, once minced it should be refrigerated.

Adding Spices and Flavourings
You can either add the spices and flavourings prior to mincing the meat, making sure that all is thoroughly mixed.
Or, you can add the spices and flavourings after mincing the meat, if you choose to do this, try not to compress the mixture too much.
Once minced and mixed store the sausage meat in the fridge before use.

Stuffing Sausages
If really keen you can buy a range of sausage stuffing machines and kits that will do the job very well, but these are for the enthusiast and a little expensive if you just want to have a first try.
Some of the more expensive food-mixers offer a sausage stuffing accessory too.
One way of stuffing sausages is to use a large piping bag with a wide bored nozzle.
You can also buy a 'stuffing horn' from a good cook-shop, who might also tell you where to find casings too.
If not, the simplest way to start making sausages is to use a funnel, find a plastic one with a tapering spout.
You can then cut the spout at the point where it tapers to the required bore.
Whichever method you decide on, lace the casing into a bowl of warm water to help lubricate it.
Then it is a matter of slipping the casing over the spout and forcing the sausage meat in, (two pairs of hands can be helpful).
A rod or piece of dowelling the same size as the bore of the funnel will help at this stage.
It is important to fill the casing uniformly without air bubbles, as these will fill with fat when cooking and often lead to the sausage bursting when cooking.
Basically, stuffing is a matter of trial and error, but if you are determined it can be done.
You can either twist or tie the sausages into individual links of the required length.

Storage
After making the sausages they will need to be dried slightly before storage or use.
This should be done in a cool place open to the air, a large fridge is ideal, but if yours isn't big enough try stringing them over clothes drying or the back of a chair, that has been prepared with cling film or similar.
Once the casings are dry, you can then store them.
They will keep in the fridge for a few days or can be frozen, in batches (it’s best to cover them with cling film).

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »

I am one of those folks who as a general rule of thumb does not like sheep or deer liver, though i grew up eating beef liver and know how it is supposed to be "cooked", one time after butchering a wether which we let get a little bit old [like it was nearly a year cause the freezers were full til then one spring] we [my dad and me] were gonna just feed the liver to the dawgs, so we sliced it up and put it over charcoal we happened to have on for dinner one evening, just to give the hounds a different taste, and the liver actually smelled so good we tried it, and the dawgs received little if any of that liver and long story short that wether was so fat we charcoaled the whole thing and all the tallow driipped off into the charcoal [which was to much one day when we roasted a leg as it took like what seemed way to long to get it done enough to be tender as the drippings kept putting out the charcoal] we boiled the tongue and pickled it [not as good as beef tongue pickled though] ive since smoked deer tongue which is about the same size as sheep and it turned out better in flavor.

I dont eat much organ meat any more due to the chemicals that seem to be concentrated in many of those organs in domestic animals, but I can say i still like a good testicle feast, and miss throwing a party where I can watch the people who never et  those before, and the reactions when some ladies realize just what "Rocky Mountain Oysters" really are!

As far as the pizzle sticks go, the only ones i ever dealt with were the ones that were walking sticks made from a Bull bovine..... ah the good ole days of my misspent youth making folks uneasy when they asked what that was.....  and on that note the pubic bone of a Raccoon makes a really decent toothpick and gets about the same response...... why waste a critter's good parts?

One thing when drying fruit outside, it is better to dry it in the shade than the full sun, and if the air is slightly humid, then a person needs to burn a sulfur stick under the fruit to detour the flies and keep the fruit from spoiling before it dries as well, as sulfur smoke wont add much "smokey" flavor [trick learnt from a California apricot grower who sold to Delmonte]

As far as sausage making goes i prefer a finer grind to most of my meats over a course grind, though not so fine as to make it look like a bologna or hotdog smooth texture, I will grind a little course for certain sausage making depending upon if it is meant for placing in a casing to dry or smoke, or being patty type fresh sausage [which i use for skinless sausage making too] we have made beef, pork, sheep, goat, venison, and donkey sausages....... and they all have a different recipe slightly for making a particular type of similar end product due to being slightly different in flavors..... most folks think meat is meat..... 

One favorite course sausage is a potato sausage made from pork and taters...... though i dont eat much pork any longer due to it not agreeing with me, I will once in awhile forego the pain it causes my intestines to eat certain foods once in a great while...... and my aunts mince meat is pretty decent which is also a course grind/chop best made with a combination of venison and beef, with apples and raisins  both..... and mince meat pie around christmas or new years time is a family treat......being it is a fall item in the making.

my mouth is watering now for decent mince meat or even a good pickled tongue [cant hardly find a good tongue any more, since the messican market is strong for them]
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Tuatara

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »

Currently I am attempting to work my way through a university paper specific to sausage, bacon, and salami making (as part of my work). I will be completing the theoretical part of the paper over the next 3 weeks. It involves the science behind the making of smallgoods: the chemistry / why things happen when we add specific ingredients, etc.

I sincerely hope I will be all the more knowledgeable for it and as a result will have some useful information to share.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the 3 hour exam at the end of it though...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up