Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wal-Mart low stock on food items  (Read 4123 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Wal-Mart low stock on food items
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:29:57 AM »

I was in my local Super Wal-Mart last night picking up a few things I'd forgotten earlier in the day. As I went down the pasta aisle I noticed that much of the pasta was stocked only two and three deep with lots of empty space behind many items. Normally the shelves have more stock on them. Normally my local Wal-Mart can't be bothered to pull things to the front - I wonder if they are doing this to prevent panic?

Someone in a chat room I frequent reported that their local Wal-Mart had put empty boxes on the shelves to make it appear that there was more in stock than there actually was. There is no reason for this unless they are not expecting much resupply and don't want to panic people. Mostly empty shelves panic people, the appearance of full shelves means everything is normal. If shelves are mostly empty people will buy whatever they can, even if it is something they normally would not purchase.

Stock up while you can, things may be getting tight.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Re: Wal-Mart low stock on food items
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:49:26 PM »

Thanks for that, Out here we have WINCO for bag your own groceries and save some. Their shelves were pretty well stocked. We have both highway and rail roads nearby so there is some infrastructure here.

Granted this could change. Hmm, the weather here has gotten a bit warmer (Up to 55 somedays) what is it like where you are? Last I checked the weather was being especially wintry, could this be a contributor and just be local?

Again, thanks, and be safe.
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »

We've had some light snow the last week, maybe two inches total. The winds have caused some blowing snow, and we've had a few days above 0 so it has been pretty mild.

I may check some of the other grocery stores in the area and see what their shelves are like.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »

It may be due to weather (you know it's bad when the trains don't run).  Here, we haven't seen anything like that (or it could be a Walmart issue ... maybe they are having problems that haven't been reported ... of course, I haven't a clue).

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »

The trains have been getting through just fine. Got stuck waiting for them to pass a few times this week. But I am going to poke around some of the other grocery stores to see if things are different. It could be due to the drop in truck shipments, but a semi full of food shouldn't be a problem since all of the grocery stores in the area have at least 2 locations.

I guess in the end we will see if this is just a blip or if it is the shape of things to come.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:44:30 PM »

The trains have been getting through just fine. Got stuck waiting for them to pass a few times this week. But I am going to poke around some of the other grocery stores to see if things are different. It could be due to the drop in truck shipments, but a semi full of food shouldn't be a problem since all of the grocery stores in the area have at least 2 locations.

I guess in the end we will see if this is just a blip or if it is the shape of things to come.

Yeah, I was talking about some reports from somewhere that trains weren't running due to the severe weather last week (?).  That may have created a backlog of deliveries.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »

Could have been train delays in some areas. Seems there are always trains here ... I hate em.

Awakeaware1016

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »

I'm from nor cal and I shop supercenter.  They have less shelf stock the later in the day you go.   I shop at 2am and it shows that they don't replinesh during the day.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »

I've noticed the same lack of restocking.

I've also watched the number of food aisles shrink over the last few years. Where there use to be 10 aisles of food there are now 5

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »

While there is a Walmart down the road, I usually do not shop it, there are closer stores and I tend to not shop walmart in general due to reports of poor produce and even worse cuts of meat, per my brother. The local Winco was pretty good, as was the regional Bimart sort of a hillbilly costco, not sure about the larger supermarkets and the like, 'cause I don't shop much, as they want to have you use the card for so called savings. I dislike letting any one obtain information about what I buy or where from. As to everything else. well prep and stock are good, recently I was offered a temptation of a nicely grown heirloom tomato, Do I savor it and eat? or carefully attempt to harvest and save the seeds, decisions decisions. etc.

I hope all are well,

Grog
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »

Here they are well stocked. In fact Red Deer is only 1 of 2 locations in North America that actually have two Wal-Marts (population 65,000) with Sylvan 15 minutes away with its own Wal-Mart (population 15,000) So I guess now a days they will build anywhere!
Pages: [1]   Go Up