Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

Helping you prepare since 2005!

One of the oldest survival / emergency preparedness / prepping sites on the web.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VEC1028POB - Jump start/AC & DC Portable Power/Air compressor/Inflator  (Read 14465 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page

I needed a new jump start box since I can't find my old one, hell I haven't seen it since we moved a year ago. I was in Sam's Club the other week and saw a couple of jump start boxes. One was the usual type, the other was an all-in-one unit that came with an inverter and air compressor/inflator built in. It also looked tough and cool. I bought the bigger more expensive one of course :)

I bought the Vector Power On Board VEC1028POB for $89.

It has 450 amps of jumping ability, a 400 watt AC inverter, 12V outlet, 120 PSI tire inflator with a bulk air compressor/decompressor for air mattresses and the like. It comes with a 2 year warranty. It weighs about 25 pounds, is 20"W x 15"H x 10"D and the included metal frame includes rubber shock mounts so it doesn't rattle when in use and provides shock absorption while it is sitting in your trunk. It comes with a built in AC adapter (see the last picture) which you use with a regular extension cord and a DC power cord which you plug into your cigarette lighter and then the 12V outlet on the unit. It also has a 3 LED area light built in (bright one too).

One of the things I like the most about this unit is that the AC adapter is built into the unit and that you can leave it plugged into the AC power so it is always at full charge. My old jump box had a separate AC adapter and could not be left plugged into AC.

If you were to buy a jump box, tire inflator, 400 watt DC to AC inverter and a bulk air compressor/decompressor you could easily spend over a hundred dollars. Plus you would have 4 things to keep track of.

It is charging right now. They say to charge it for 40 hours via AC before initial use. After that you can leave it plugged into the AC. The max charging using DC is 5-6 hours. I'll end up buying a short extention cord to keep with the unit. I'll wrap the extention cord around the metal tube frame so that it doesn't get used for something else or lost.

I have only seen this at Sam's Club. There are no details on the manufacturer's website www.vectormfg.com either. There is nothing on the internet that I could find. If you don't have a Sam's Club membership or know anyone that does you can contact the manufacturer and see if they can tell you who else sells them, model number to use is VEC1028POB and the phone number is 1-866-584-5504.

Specs (from the manual)

12 Volt Specs.
Battery:                         12v DC rechareable, maintenance free
Internal Battery Type:     Sealed, AGM lead-acid
Internal Battery Capacity: 12v, 19Ah/20 hour rate
Area Light:                     LED
Jumper Cables:               Heavy Duty welding cable with 450 amp clamps
Acc. Outlet Protection:   Self-resetting overload protection
DC Charging adapter:      12v DC

AC Power Specs
Output Power:              Continuous - 400 watts
Output Voltage:            120 VAC RMS
Output Frequency:        60 Hz +/- 4 Hz
Output Waveform:        Modified sine wave
Overheat Protection:     Yes
Overload Protection:      Yes
Output Short Circuit Protection: Yes

Tire Inflator Specs
Max pressure: 120 PSI

Battery Charger Specs
Input:                      : 120v AC, 60 Hz
Rapid Charging Current: 12v DC 1000mA
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:47:14 AM by Canuck In Denver »
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Maulbeere

• View Profile
Re: VEC1028POB - Jump start/AC & DC Portable Power/Air compressor/Inflator
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »

Would you happen to know offhand how long the power would last if used continuously, and what size of solar panel charger would be required to recharge it?

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 05:46:55 PM »

No idea to be honest. How long it will power something depends on what that something is and what sort of draw it requires.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Laughs at Hurricanes

• Blogger
  • False color image of Charley at landfall.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »

Would you happen to know offhand how long the power would last if used continuously, and what size of solar panel charger would be required to recharge it?

For a solar panel it will need to be able to supply 14.4 volts (15 is OK) at a current of at least 1000 milliamperes (1 amp) if it supplies more current say 2 or 3 maps that is not a problem. Bear in mind that panels are often rated in open circuit voltage and the actual working or loaded voltage is lower. You will need to fashion whatever is needed to connect the panel to the charging port on the unit.

As Canuck noted, how long it will power something is to variable to answer. Some things will last virtually forever and others will drain the battery to the point of cutoff in a few minutes.
Charley tried and failed. Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma failed too. I'm still here and still laughing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up