Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CON? Like-Minded People  (Read 4711 times)

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
CON? Like-Minded People
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:52:55 PM »

The biggest problem I see with any type of Intentional Community is the people that could be in the community.  I have a fantastic group of online friends that, in general, share many of the views I have, especially regarding self-sufficiency.  As much as I love, and would do anything for them (was fully prepared a few years ago to drive from California to Missouri if a tornado had hit one of my friends' houses), I could not bear to live THAT close to most of them.  Inevitably, politics, religion, and general lifestyle choices would become intolerable after a time. 

We (hubby and myself) are isolationist by nature, but there are times when I wish there were others closer whose strengths were our weaknesses and could share skills.

What are your thoughts?

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: CON? Like-Minded People
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:02:11 PM »

I agree that there can be many problems. Everyone in the community may be on the same page when it comes to survival issues but that may be the only similarities. Religion and politics as well as work ethic can cause a great many problems.

Even among Christians there can be a great many differences in views, throw in a non-Christian or two and all sorts of problems can develop. Religion is probably the most divisive issue, many people feel that their version of religion is the only true religion while many non-Christians carry a chip on their shoulder against Christians.

I am less interested in what religion some practices than I am in their personality and character, but some people place religion as the most important issue. For any community to work every person in that community has to be tolerant and accepting of every other person and couple/family. A code of conduct would need to be established along with other rules or the community will tear itself apart.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:45:41 AM »

Yeah, two years later and I am replying!  lol

No matter what kind of group it is, there is always going to be some kind of conflict.  Jeez, even if it is just perceived.  I have come to realize that if any intentional community is to be established, being like-minded isn't enough.  I think the ability to communicate effectively and come to a consensus without giving in your corp principals and the keys to a potentially prosperous intentional community.

But, you will truly never know how everyone will mesh until the community is up and running.  I think it would be best for everyone, no matter what their plans are, to have more than one option when TSHTF.

Dee Dee G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:20:50 PM »

Having more than one option in case TSHTF is important to me because we just don't know what the S is and how it will HTF. I agree that a code of conduct is very important as well. I do believe that some people might be hard to live with just like in some families. Some people seem to thrive on conflict and some on competition which could also cause problems. I think in some cases an IC would be a little easier than being with some family members because rules don't always get respected within some families.

Dr. Prepper

• View Profile
Re: Temecula Prepping
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »

I'm here in So. cal. also.....the problem with people in cal. is they just keep there head in the sand....no forward thanking....not even a 3 day earth quake kit....they have to have the new lexus every 2 years, flat screen....and know the batting adv. of there hero.........Now the biggest problem is if...or when  S.H.T.F. they will be the first to come to your place and expect yu to feed them... and protect them....and the kicker is they will get pissed off because you don't have enough food for there friends....
Dr. Prepped
Temecula Ca.

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Intentional Communites or Like-Minded People 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »

As to communities pre or pre shtf, There are some things that should be considered.

1) Any HOA czars? is yes, do not go there, Home Owners Associations on paper look good, but in most practices are not.

2) If there are team or family assignments be very careful about who is doing the assigning.

3) http://www.ra-info.org/library/programming/Bonewits.shtml

http://www.tangledmoon.org/cultidentification.htm

I mention the above links, While this is a tool designed to allow an individual to determine if a group of people may or not be a cult, The same questions apply to non religious groups or what I call "Cults of Personality".

The potential for good is here, however, not always as folks who are friendly and cooperative today, may not be after stuff hits.

Me, personally while I like the idea, there is no way to maintain OPSEC (Operational Security) about preps and the like, With folks who have visiting family members who may not take things seriously, I can see a big safety concern.

Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Pages: [1]   Go Up