Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I chose the wrong place  (Read 3459 times)

ironborne

• View Profile
Why I chose the wrong place
« on: June 10, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »

In February 2008 I moved from NM to UT. I did it for a variety of reasons, chief among them was 1) a desire for a better education/opportunities for my children and 2) I wanted to buy a piece of land where water and water rights would not be such a big issue. The problem was after two years in UT I still had not met anyone who shared my views and wanted to start a group and I still had no land. I imagine that I chose the wrong place to relocate to. Utah Valley, while beautiful and full of places a person could disappear into, is a college town with what I would consider to be a temporary population who are uninterested in the issues that most survivalists and preppers would deem important. I do not intend to say that there are not good people there only that as an outsider it was difficult to get the ball rolling. I had no contacts there and very little in common with the general population. I had thought that I would be able to find a small piece of recreational land but because of the number of what I would term suburbs up and down I-15, most land is for residential use and very expensive. Another major issue was that I had left a good job in NM and saw my disposable income drop by more than half. I returned to NM three weeks ago and to my old job. A good friend of mine had acquired two acres outside of town and I am enjoying helping him do small things around the place. Cutting wood and digging trenches is tough work in 100 degree plus heat. It is interesting to watch how he is preparing and how those preps are working. I hope to have enough money in a year to get my own place. The lesson I learned was that one of the most important things to surviving is your immediate group of friends and contacts.

Jerry D Young

• View Profile
Re: Why I chose the wrong place
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »

That is saddening. I'm glad you were able to get your old job back. I guess it just goes to show that even in a state that is often touted as the state with the most prepared people, there are those areas and people where it is a low priority.
Jerry D Young

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:39:09 PM »

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, but glad you got your old job back.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:07:53 AM »

What a learning experience!  Honestly, that is what worries us about relocating so far from where we are.  I know most of California will pretty much be screwed when TSHTF but we have family members here that are actually starting to wake up. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »

I hear ya, Brenda. Sometimes you luck out and move blind and have great neighbors, we were kind of in that boat but my girl friend grew up in this area and has family here so our immediate neighbors weren't as much of a concern. Other times you move blind and find your new neighbors, or worse yet the entire area, standoffish and not very welcoming.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »

I pretty guess that is what is keeping me from moving elsewhere too, having contacts in an area is one thing, but finding the right employment, and property at the same time might be hard to do.....

we have til the 15th this month left before we have to be out of this rental, and no where yet has opened up for us to rent [save teh two boats and a helicopter i am fearing were already dismissed as unacceptable living conditions by both my wife and i] I worry over the smallest of details, we qualify for a HUD loan of a minimal amount, my "savings" are not anything i can trade atm as a down payment, and to try and peddle the coins and placer gold i do have wont be all that much, it seems people want to buy from others at a premium and from me at a discount......

If I can stay in the area i can resume my small business of prospecting supply sales, I can "borrow" internet if i have to and remain in the light enought o peddle some gravel, and my book on basic gold panning [book is about finished but on hold til after we move] and i can peddle a few supplys here and there at local events and teach a few classes on panning and recovery of precious metals.  I have one job with the sawmill that will pay to get it back running and maybe a little more but nothing enough to call it much more than a few days labor at minimum wage or below...... depending upon what all needs replaced as the days progress.

We have one storage unit nearly full of tools and things i am just not prepared to get rid of, and probably if we dont find anythig to rent we will end up with another unit while we live in a camp trailer til we do find something..... not the best of thoughts even during the summer, a 16 foot camp trailer and a family of 5...... yes its been done and we could did it, hoping not to "have to" atm.

Ive got family that tolerates my lifestyle and they would like me closer to a degree but not enough to help with a huge move of a couple hundred miles..... atm ive been offered a few dollars from a friend down under that ive only met once![ive not accepted the help yet, but it makes me happy to know there are people that will help if they can in any way possible, ergo they are out there that think like we do].  We have had a moving sale the past 3 weekends and I HAVE let go of more than a few things I did not want to, and a couple times it made me feel better, other times it has saddened me to let it go, cash dont cure every ill feeling, and people want MAJOR bargains, like I sold 2 rolls of ROMEX 12 ga wire for $60, the fella, a friend came back the next day and told me he couldnt sleep after he talked me down and gave me another $20..... the 2 rolls sell here for $198.00 plus 6% tax [ok i didnt pay that much but they are not opened either] anyhow money isnt everything, but it takes about so much of it to buy anything worth living in..... rant over.

It is good that you have a job and VERY good it is the job you used to have before taking off on a "safari" into another region......

Trusting that "if it is suppose to be it will be" can be hard sometimes.

Blueduck
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 01:02:04 AM »

Have you looked at USDA Rural loans/guarantees? No down payment. As long as you have enough income and can prove you can pay bills (rent, utilities, etc) they will consider you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up