Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making biodiesel at home  (Read 3491 times)

Darren

• View Profile
Making biodiesel at home
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:34:19 PM »

Just wondering if anyone here is actually making biodiesel. I have been making home brew for 4-5 years. I was running SVO in a F250 for over a year with a two tank system. Some folks were experiencing coking problems (I wasn't) but sold the truck to another fella.
I have continued making biodiesel. I run it in the tank 100% all summer and run it in the second tank (recently installed) in the winter. Nothing special really but in cooler weather it must be heated (it is still oil). Basically in winter you start on diesel and when the engine is warm switch ti the second tank. You must go back to diesel to purge the lines before you shut off the engine.
The second tank is heated with coolant from the rad as well as the fuel lines to the injector pump.

Everything I learned I got from this site  www.biodiesel.infopop.cc

be careful if you go to journey to forever they are wrong information.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Making biodiesel at home
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »

No diesel vehicle here. I came close to buying a diesel F250 but there was way too much wrong with it.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
Re: Making biodiesel at home
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »

Ive been wanting to get into pressing oil from oil seeds, my main drawback is i dont run diesel engines on anything currently, so the need is not immeadiate, plus the cost of getting set up is a drawback, living in town means renting a facility to set up in and then getting a farmer to grow the seed for pressing out on shares the first year...... after that i figure the business will take off as other farmers decide they want their own fuel and get into paying for the seed to be pressed...... either barter or cash.

Ive got a whole business plan ready to write up and present on the subject if i thought i could get an investor to shake loose with the funds for equipment..... and not all that expensive once you figure out what you actually need..... but still at about$40-50K for the first go round a setting up.... scaling up after that is not all that hard.  but to set it up just for one rig or family is not cost effective right now since i dont have machinery or a farm...... next year i suppose is always a possibility.
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho
Pages: [1]   Go Up