Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for pressure canning folks  (Read 2329 times)

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Question for pressure canning folks
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »

Any one out there using pressure canners these days?

If so, have you had any issues with maintenance or spare parts for your pressure canner?

I am pondering the investment, but want to know a bit more about care and maintenance, but the internet has had more antedoctal information than good fact.

Thanks in advance
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

msm_04

• View Profile
Re: Question for pressure canning folks
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »

Hey Grog,

We started canning last year... It seems to be a very simple process... The canner will come with a booklet at what psi and times for diifferent things you plan to can.... As for parts I'd purchase a spare over psi plug (pop off at 22 psi) and a spare lid gasket. My mom was always canning as we grew up and she never purchased any spare parts, still using the same canner, LOL.... We bought a new presto canner from the local Bi-mart for $59 on sale.... So far I have canned green beans, pickles, roast beef and turkey soup, as well as some jams and salsa..... Hope this helps, got any ??? send me an email..

Mark

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »

The best one (in my opinion) in a survival situation is All American.  No lid gasket is required (it's a metal on metal seal).  It's really easy to use (I haven't blown anything up yet).  I have a Presto, and agree with Mark.  I got a spare plug and gasket.  As for the gaskets, many people say to store the gasket IN the canner, with the lid upside down.  No pressure on the gasket when not in use.  I also (when I know it's going to be a while until I can again) rub the gasket with cooking oil before storage, then wash before using the canner again.

The only thing I don't like is the canning times.  It seems the USDA requires just about everything to be cooked for 90 minutes.  That is way too long for softer foods, like sweet potatoes (they are absolute mush).  I would personally like to see older instructions (times and pressure) that had been used for years safely. 

Like, I've tested "no-no" recipes (like pumpkin pie filling) and after over a year, the jars are still sealed.

msm_04

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »

I found using both hot pac and cold pac canning works really good in preventing mush. When I can steak n potatoe soup, I'll cook the broth/base and meat.. Then I put raw onion, potatoe, and the mushrooms directly into the jar. Add the meat n broth second and then can.... It all comes out rather well, and haven't found a jar with mush in it yet by doing it this way. We also can zuchini this way.... I cook at the 11 psi for 90 minutes as listed in the book.... But for the most part 45 to 60 minutes would probably be ok.... Since the times are listed by USDA they'll be longer just to help prevent being sued..... Before pressure canners most things were just hot bathed....

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:11:24 AM »

Thank you, Mark.  I'm really new to pressure canning and was really disappointed with all the jars of sweet potato mush I have.  It's so bad that I have to strain it into a coffee filter. 

msm_04

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:39:13 PM »

No problem, hope it works out.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up