Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you get to your retreat WTSHTF???  (Read 2948 times)

goinpostal

• View Profile
    • flsurvival
Can you get to your retreat WTSHTF???
« on: November 08, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »

I'm always hearing people on the boards,talking about them heading to a remote BOL a thousand miles away if the SHTF.That"might"work when it's from a local disaster,and"might"is being a bit conservative.I remember it taking 11hrs to get to Pidgeon Forge Tennesee from Central Florida when Hurricane Francis was rolling in.I also remember seeing lines of stalled traffic from people trying to GOOD from Katrina.That leads me to think that to BO cross country from a national event might not be doable.What do you think??Matt
I want to die in my sleep,just like my Grandpa.Not Yelling,and screaming like the passengers in his car!

msm_04

• View Profile
Re: Can you get to your retreat WTSHTF???
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »

That would be hard one.... I imagine it wouldn't be so bad as long as a person didn't wait till the last minute to head out. For us we're already at our retreat.... But if we had to there are several places we could move to for a secondary retreat... I would plan my route on back roads seeing they are not going to be as congested as folks fleeing on the highways....

goinpostal

• View Profile
    • flsurvival
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »

With a hurricane it's one thing to GOOD earily.It's total different issue with something on a national scale,like say a cosmic buckshot,multiple EMP,or NBC.With Francis we bailed before any rain had hit,and the back roads from Volusia County(32mi.S.W.from Daytona)were all clogged for 100mi..It turns out that if we had headed towards the storm and run up I-95 through the edge of it,there wasnt a car on the road.If everyone were to evac from the metro areas at once,it wouldnt be back roads to take but off road.Matt
I want to die in my sleep,just like my Grandpa.Not Yelling,and screaming like the passengers in his car!

Jerry D Young

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure I could make it to my brother's place in Winnemucca, NV. I'm in Reno, about 160 miles away. Only one really tough spot and that is going through the canyons just east of Reno. There are a couple of places where there is a bluff on one side, and a drop on the other. There are ways around, if you get off I-80 soon enough and don't get trapped in the backed up traffic. Chances are i would take the alternate route out of Reno unless I was sure the canyons were clear.
Jerry D Young

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »

As others have stated it depends on the situtation. Here (Alberta) the time of year makes a big difference. Icy road conditions can make the shortest route the longest if someone wipes out and they almost close the highway.
Our retreat is 2 1/4 hrs away by vehicle. If we had to leave the vehicle in winter, well lets just say it would be bad.
The most direct route is the worst as there is a major river right in the middle of the route down a very steep grade to a 1 lane bridge then up the other side. This we only take in good weather conditions.
The other 2 routes have no bridges or underpasses but are longer. Both routes would allow us to drive the ditch for miles if necessary, its the prairies, again weather conditions would apply.
So if TSHTF I would prefer it late spring, summer or early fall ;D
I have driven 4x4 for years off road (work related) so I am very aware of what the vehicle can and can't do.
We all have bikes but again would not relish the ride. It would most likely take 3-4 days with just BOB's.

goinpostal

• View Profile
    • flsurvival
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »

Since the movie Red Dawn came out,my thoughts on a BOL/retreat would be to head to a remote lakefront family owned cabin in the U.P.of Michigan.The past few years I've had to rethink that option.A 1,500mi Bug Out trip during a National disaster just does not seem to be a very viable option to me.Right now I'm leaning more towards either buggin in place,or hitting some very hidden areas I know of on the St.Johns river.It's only 5min from having my 1972bowrider in the water.Most of my other options have since gone by the wayside,for one reason or another.Some are just to damn far away to be a practical option without some kind of safe houses in between.Matt

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »

For that thousand mile bug out I suppose it depends on where you happen to be and where you are going. Back roads are always good - generally less traffic and more places to get off the road if you need to. If you're living in a very built up area you have all the other people around you to contend with. If you live in an area with a relatively few people and will be traveling through other areas with few people you ought to be OK.

If things got really bad and I was heading for my primary bug out location I'd be going through areas with small populations for the most part. I've planned my routes along major highways for those stretches where I'm likely to be OK from a congestion stand point but I also have maps so I can take back roads, etc to get to where I want. Most people today only think about major highways for long distance travel. Those in cities don't really think of much else, even those in towns with 150,000 or less people think in terms of major highways.

Would I like to go 1000 miles in the winter? Not really. Do I think it can be done? Yes. Long distance travel in the winter without adequate vehicles is going to take a long time, even with adequate vehicles there will be times when you can only do 5 miles an hour.

I have bikes for everyone, a bike trailer for one of the bikes and my 4 wheel garden cart that can be hauled behind a riding lawnmower, by hand or rigged to a bike. The bike trailer could be hauled by hand as well. With the trailers I have I could haul quite a bit of gear and supplies ... more than I'd really want to but the option is always there.

Beyond my primary bug out location, which is quite a distance away, I have a couple that are within an hour drive time. Chances are that I would head to one of the locations closer to home until things settled down then head for my primary destination.

If you figure an average of 3 miles an hour that 1000 mile trip is going to take you about 41 days if you walked 8 hours a day. Most people will start off slower and end up faster if they can stay nourished. I'm guessing that 24-25 miles a day is probably a good average when you factor in camp set up and tear down, hunting/gathering, etc.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

msm_04

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »

We're pretty much at our retreat now...... If things got really crazy our back up is 10 miles away... It's a state park onan island with 1 way in, so pretty much easy to defend....

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »

If i can get through the canyon BEFORE my friend blows it shut to keep others from using the road my primary BO is only 20 miles via one road, and probably close to 100 miles by the same road other way around... though there are a few really back country logging roads if the bridges hold out.

if we had to head up state to my relatives area, that 240 miles on decent roads is merely 5-6 hours, but there is a couple bottlenecks and choke points going into "metropolis" type cities, for Idaho [years ago all cities feared that if the main highway did not go thru downtown or close to it, they would dry up and the next town would get all the drive by business, making it a nightmare with populations that have exploded faster than the infrastructure can keep up with] but that too can be circumvented by taking the round about trip making it closer to 500 miles than 300..... but there are 3 major routes up there, even if all do have problems of choke points, even those have options of getting around if the by pass ways are open and not closed by the locals to keep the hordes from overrunning them!

Ive got the range for fuel consumption, and like Canuck, we have alternate plans if we had to walk and carry the load, though that would really limit what we had, and right now there are no caches along the route to resupply a walking family.....

so local BO currently is the better option unless we can use the vehicle BEFORE the balloon goes up.... which is why we watch, listen and try to interpret the news that is allowed to filter in to us.  hopefully more options will become available to us in the near future as well.
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 12:33:05 AM »

Years later..... three events the past month show us several problems with long range driving with everyone and their dog on the road too.  First we had the solar eclipse in a band acrost the several states lasting about an hour in any given location.... people scrimped and saved and made vacations out of going to see the sun being covered by the moon.  First off living in Idaho we KNEW there was gonna be problems and handed out revised maps for the genius crowd showing the eclipse being rerouted to other states [didnt work all that well]  but problems we had, we were about 3 hours from the optimal viewing for total eclipse and that town invited anyone and everyone to come visit.... we stayed home btw, farther down south, friends from Utah, decided it was only a 3 hour trip to where that line hit Idaho and they like 40 eleven million other fools hit the road and came to Idaho.... which wasnt as bad he said but still made it a 6 hour trip up instead of 3...... the trip home however was 18 hours and fuel stations ran out of fuel, people were taking any and every dead end ranch roads and to see if they were short cuts and he said taraffic could not turn around while it was going both directions, and idjits were passing where no one should and yes there were some minor traffic incidents making things more difficult.  I can only imagine what it was like or is like along side the roads where traffic was backed up and stopped and of course no toilets so ya know people just left a pile for some one to step in eventually [though probably dried up in the heat the next few days.... who knows what diseases could have been left]  Local traffic was decent, we didnt hear of to many problems other than those who traveled to the towns that welcomed the visitors and bumper to bumper traffic again Cascade South to Boise..... north wasnt as bad, just the usual summer tourists.

Then we had Harvey and Irma back to back and the roads were bad from the Irma hurrycane all the way up into West Virginia another friend told me.  and people in the walmart parking lot asking fr change... others just went to the local welfare office and got $800 emergency cash for rent and 400 for food..... but very few places to rent he said.... and raised fuel prices from $2.25 to over $4.00 with many filling stations not having any fuel after the first wave of traffic hit for a few days.... and refinery deliveries are limited now due to the storms.
Harvey effects went from houston as far north as dallas ft worth with prices rising in a similar fashion though after a few days yet another friend told me that those prices subsided back to close to before the hurrycane level. 

Lesson learned should be:  have fuel on hand enough for a several weeks, dont drive with the herd, and if your plan may include a bugout, move now and settle in while others get stuck in traffic..... winter driving is easy compared to "the herd"

BD
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:23 PM »

Have fuel on hand and Pri-G or Pri-D for long term storage. The hurricanes kind of screwed up my plans to stock on diesel for the plow truck, so I'll wait a bit for that. I keep premium unleaded for the various small engines around the place and of course it will work in the other 4 trucks on the property.

I have back road routes to where I need to get, we have two meet up locations so we're good.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up