Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LBE/LCE  (Read 3861 times)

ironborne

• View Profile
LBE/LCE
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:22:17 PM »

I like to carry my LBE when I go stomping around the desert. If you don't know what that is, it means Load Bearing Equipment, which is fancy talk for a belt held up by suspenders that has a lot of pouches. I have my 2 1 qt canteens, sheath knife, small survival kit, compass, and a place for my pistol too. I am transitioning from the older alice pouches to the newer molle ones. They are interchangeable but I still secure the molle ones to the pistol belt with 550 cord just in case. I bought my son a new set of gear from the Cav Store and they have the new canteen cover that has the quick release buckle instead of the old style snaps. This is a great pouch because it is covered on the top and will hold lots of stuff besides a canteen.
     He likes the set up because it's Army and what kid doesn't like that. It is light enough for him to carry all day but still has all the essentials. If you have a kid under 16 or one that is not interested in a pack I would recommend this set up. It is perfect as an emergency BOB. Especially since the weight is distributed evenly around the hips. The Cav store has all this gear in their field equipment section. You can also pick it up cheap at any Army Surplus store in the U.S..

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: LBE/LCE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »

I've got a mostly full set of MOLLE gear as part of my patrol kit. I like it well enough. I don't really like the canteen pouches though, getting a canteen cup in or out of them is a real pain in the rear. I hated that the ALICE canteen pouches were not covered. I may look at some commercial canteen pouches to see if they fix the cup and stove problem.

A small pack with a hydration bladder is a nice addition, or the MOLLE pouch that attaches directly to the vest. It allows more water to be carried and can provide a bit more room for a couple of items. I still carry two canteens even though I have a 100 oz Camelbak - the canteens are a lot tougher than the Camelbak and they make a good place to keep water that I have put purification tabs in, then it can be poured into the Camelbak.

I like to have an extra canteen pouch with a 1 quart/liter Camelbak or Platypus bladder in it. This allows me to pour any part canteens into the bladder so that there is no sloshing noise.

For smaller loads, like hiking, a MOLLE vest and pouches works really well. The older ALICE system works good as well, although it isn't as customizable. You will always have your survival kit and a bit extra if you have a LBE/LCE system, and that is a good thing.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Re: LBE/LCE
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »

Molle is okay, the older stuff works well. Using a "Butt Pack" can be of use, as long as you remember that if you have to use individual movement techniques, over loading the pack can cause a turtle effect. zip ties, used and either filed or if you are very careful, melted on the ends to prevent getting cut can be a good method to secure pouches to the belt or harness. The first generation of the Molle backpack had a black plastic frame component that broke fairly easily, so be careful if using such a pack. As to canteen pouches and contents, one may want to check out the british versus us versions.
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
Pages: [1]   Go Up