Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP, I TRYING TO BUILD MY BOB  (Read 4911 times)

LoneWolf

• Blogger
    • View Profile
HELP, I TRYING TO BUILD MY BOB
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:08 PM »

Hi All!!! I'm looking for some help as I trying hard to build up my BOB I in need of a couple thing right know it is one COMPASS and a one person mess kit and maybe a couple P-38 or P-51 as I do have some things  that I came up with, a one of the dollar Stores... I must be up front this you all I don't have the money, I was  told ones by group member that If you don't have the money you don't belong in survival group all i can is sorry.  bright blessing to all!!!!!!!!!!

Darren

• View Profile
Re: HELP, I TRYING TO BUILD MY BOB
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:30:33 AM »

Hi All!!! I'm looking for some help as I trying hard to build up my BOB I in need of a couple thing right know it is one COMPASS and a one person mess kit and maybe a couple P-38 or P-51 as I do have some things  that I came up with, a one of the dollar Stores... I must be up front this you all I don't have the money, I was  told ones by group member that If you don't have the money you don't belong in survival group all i can is sorry.  bright blessing to all!!!!!!!!!!
Big Ed whoever told you that if you don't have money you don't belong on these forums is a fool. I for one never had money issues IN MY LIFE but 2 years ago work around here fell apart. We were in dire straits for a while. The most important thing you need is knowledge. Educate yourself on prepping. Don't have a lot of funds, join a library they have tons of good books. Build what you can when you can.
You have already identified there is something wrong with the economy and you are ahead of a lot of folks. I have relatives that are actual millionaires (oil related) but have no food in the house. Carry no cash (debit only) and think everything is great.
In my opinion you are more "aware" than they are so you have more knowledge.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:03:38 AM »

I was  told ones by group member that If you don't have the money you don't belong in survival group all i can is sorry.  bright blessing to all!!!!!!!!!!

This must have been one of those who was new to survival.  Many newbies think they need to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on special items just to survive.  They don't realize that by incorporating things that are considered every day items to many, they will end up with more useful tools/food/whatever.  I will tell you this.  I have never purchased MREs.  I'm not saying I never would but I prefer the foods that we currently eat.  I know how to prepare them and I know how our bodies react to them. 

I found two mess kits at a thrift store for about $5 (total).  One I had to actually ask some people what kind it was!  I had never seen anything like it.  We have spare silverware that is in our BOB.  It's one set per person.  I would like to encourage you to check out some thrift stores in your area.  You never know what you will find there.  The ones in our area are having such a hard time business-wise that they are running sales all the time (like 75% off). 

As for the can opener, we have two pocket knives that have the can opener on there.  My Girl Scout pocket knife (that I had when I was young) had one.  Plus, if you have to, a hunting knife and a rock do work!

Jerry D Young

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »

I'm managing to prep on a disability fixed income. It can be done, a little at a time. Don't loose heart. The less money you have, the more you need to do preps, in a sense. A dollar here and a dollar there, applied correctly, will get you ready for a lot of possibilities.
Jerry D Young

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »

First, stop , breathe and think. Second, Keep it simple, you do not need the latest and or newest or shiniest.
attached is a power point I made a few years ago about a 72 hour kit, Feel Free to adjust it.
Base considerations:
Weight, as in no more than 25% of your total body weight
Pack: How to carry it and keep it from hurting yourself.
Items/Supplies  Supplies are expendables like water, soap, food, medical supplies
Items are things like Ponchos, Bungee cords for the poncho, hammock if applicable.
Water, right after Air is a big deal, Lots of weigh at 8 lbs to the gallon approximately
Food, Mres are not necessarily your friend, They are costly, if you are going to buy and store long term food, there are other options
Shelter this is where things like the poncho come in. Tube tents are better than nothing, Heck you could use a few of the LARGE black trash/ garden bags for a short term, with either good fishing line or nylon twine if para or 550 cord is not available.
If you can not afford a multi tool, look into second hand shops. I have found a quart thermos, a US canteen cup, use that with a buddy burner and tada cooking and water purification if you have enough fuel for boiling water.

A tarp, preferable green or brown(no bright colors, if you want to not be seen), with a couple of blankets and sheet can make a decent bed roll with shelter. (Folks, We all should be aware this is a start, not a be all do all)

Training and practice, First aid, reading a map and using a compass, personally I have misgivings with GPS, too many parts, needs batteries/ electricity, is not always accurate and the signal system is subject to Government control, if a satellite channel gets shut off or encrypted, you have a nice shiny non brick brick.

In place of lighters for fire building, get a box of strike any where matches and wax, heck melting crayons will work, dip the heads and waterproofed matches,
seal with dryer lint laced with vaseline or dollar store petroleum jelly and you have a good fire starter.

add some tin foil,. fishing line, hooks and flies over time. include a can opener, salt, pepper, sugar in double or triple layered small ziplocs.

as to the pack, a few other considerations. Canuck and I both give reasons for internal frame or external frame packs. make up your own mind.

Load, balance and access, can you find it in the dark, no flashlight without dumping it all out on the ground?

feel free to personal email me if you want more information, but look around, just 'cause I know some stuff, does not mean I know all stuff. :)

Blueduck, Jerrydyoung and Brenda Nolen, along with Canuck and others are approachable. Feel free to reach out.

As to weapons, well we can give facts, it is up to you to stay legal.

Hope this helps. folks, feel free to comment. I know this is a short list, more of a general guide, if I overlooked something, it is not due to malice.

Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »

Ed,

I'm going to join the chorus on money here. I spent several years off work due to a workplace car accident where I was rear ended at a stop light. I was lucky if I could spare $5 a week (usually ended up as $5 a month if that) on preps. I did things bit by bit. If you look at the posts from the start of the site you will see a couple of years where I posted a lot, then in 06 it slowed down when I started working again. This site was part of my "keep sane" therapy.

On the P51s, Coghlan's brand can openers are the same size and virtually identical. I prefer the P38s personally and have several after years of not having one (damn airport security on 10/11). There are some people on ebay that sell them cheap, I think I bought 25 for $5 and the guy threw in a P51.

The same advice I give to everyone is to grab my ebook from my Community Page, it goes into my thoughts more but they go something like this:

Figure out what threats you are most likely to face.

Make a list of all the gear you will need - stuff you absolutely HAVE to have, stuff that would be nice but you can live without, and stuff that you really don't need but would still like to have. An example of this would be a stove to cook on - something is needed, a one burner would be nice to have but a hobo stove will do the job, a two burner would be nice but you don't absolutely need it. I started off with a hobo stove I made, bought a single burner propane burner that screws onto the top of the 1 pound bottles when I saw one on sale. Then I bought a propane single burner that has a hose to attach to the body when I saw that on sale, then it was a Coleman liquid fuel one burner that was on sale, what I really want is an MSR style liquid fuel stove that will use anything (gas, diesel, av gas, kerosene, etc) but I ain't had the money. In the past 4 years I have bought quite a few 2 & 3 burner Coleman liquid fuel stoves because they were $5-$10 at the thrift store and I had the money.

Now make an inventory of everything you have and figure out how they can replace things on the "Must Have" list. A sleeping bag is great, but a couple of blankets will work if you don't have a sleeping bag. Now you can prioritize things on the "Must Have" list. Give yourself a budget, be it $5 a week or $5 a month. Use that for preps only. Check out garage sales, thrift stores and the clearance section and buy things you need.

Pick one or more big ticket items every year and when you get your tax refund get that big ticket item. Last year my big ticket item was a 5 man arctic tent for $350 delivered, I put $5 aside when I could and used $200 from my tax refund. I practice the 10% rule on tax refunds, 10% is "fun" money I can do whatever I want with and have no guilt if I were to spend it on a night of drinking or giving away... I usually use it for preps to be honest. A couple of years ago I got an unexpected bonus at work, it bought me a Katadyn Pocket water purifier... I wasn't expecting it so big ticket preps it was. I've decided that all bonuses from work go to preps... it paid for most of my updated survival kit I posted about earlier.

You mention needing a mess kit. A mess kit is a frying pan/pot/plate, a small all steel pot and frying pan may weigh a bit more but it works. You can eat out of them if need be or look around for a plastic plate at the thrift store or a garage sale.

Go to www.freecycle.org and www.craigslist.org and post what you're looking for. It is amazing what people will give you if you ask just to get it out of the closet. Post an ad "Looking for camping gear" and list some of the things you'd like specifically and then add "etc", big cities are better but even in small towns it works. Spring is a good time since people are clearing out their closets, attics, garages or going through Granpa's old "crap".

One of the guys one the Yahoo group lives in California and I hate it when he posts his garage sale finds every week. He budgets $20 and gets some amazing stuff for that $20.

Prepping on a small budget is a royal pain in the butt but it can be done. Sometimes the key is to get the cheap $5 multi tool instead of the Leatherman or Gerber so you have some sort of multi tool until you can save up for the Gerber or Leatherman. Walmart clearance sections have been great for me in this regard right after Christmas. The key for me is to know what I need/want and keep my eyes open as I am running errands, I always hit the sporting goods sections of Walmart or other stores no matter what I am in there for and always check the end of season clearance racks. Most stores will have their clearance items in the same place, I spin by them every time I am in there as a matter of course... even if I am in the same store more than once in a day. I've spent a lot of years making do with common things like a small pot and pan instead of a mess kit. I see mess kits in the thrift stores every once in a while for a couple of bucks.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

LoneWolf

• Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:18:51 AM »

This is to all that reply to my asking for help!!!  first let say Thank you all.  as for the mess kit I am looking anything now as for GPS I would not have one if someone gave me one I would find someone to trade it for a compass...I was given a sleeping bag,tent,and a backpack they are old but in good...thank to one who posted about pocket knife I forgot about that I have one and yes it has a can opener and thank again I did some more looking in my tool box and someone had given me multi tool and a case with it...
As for freecycle or craigslist I have had no luck on them...I also am the one that has my BOV see pic... Again thank you all I still on the look for a compass hopefully will find fixed blade knife and a machete or something like that...One the first books I read had saying in it, Store what you eat and  eat what you store...I also have part of a book call Tappan on Survival I would like get the whole thing...I have downloaded your book Canuck In Denver...I'm going to try to start a blogs...I'm not to good at writting but I still learning thank you here is my email if anyone would like it  biged147@yahoo.com  bright blessing to all

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »

Big Ed,

You may want to check out the survival fiction section of the site, Jerry D Young's http://forum.survivalistssite.com/index.php?topic=1353.0 The Slow Road, may be of use, take time, research then make your purchases.

http://www.survival-center.com/foodfaq/index.htm Alan T.Hagan's page on food storage.

http://survivalistssite.com/~grog/7DaySurvivalKit.pdf How to make a kit over the course of a year, originally from the State of Alaska Emergency Department.

Just a few things, start small, build slow, do not get into a haste, having something is better than having nothing. You are on the right track.

Feel free to ask questions and even give some answers when you feel like it. Again, Welcome to the site.
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 08:12:11 PM »

I don't blame you on the GPS. It's a nice thing to have but I'd rather have a compass. I use to be a big fan of Silva but I've heard they've gone down hill. Suunto is still good though. A little tip folks, GPS has two main flaws with the first being that the US military controls the GPS sats and can shut them down or inject errors ANY time they want and the second is the maps... something I know quite a bit about.

For a fixed blade knife try the Cold Steel GI Tanto, see the kind of abuse it will take at www.knifetests.com and you will be amazed. I was going to get a Ka-bar for nearly three times the price but after seeing the abuse at Knife Tests I decided to save a bit of money. Buy it from www.manventureoutpost.com for $20, it is worth saving up for. www.manventureoutpost.com also has Cold Steel machetes for a good price along with other brands. So far they are the cheapest place I've seen online for quite a few things.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Pop_45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »

Big Ed.
P.M. me your Address, I have several P38's, I'll send you one by snail mail. 

God bless and happy prepping.

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »

A friend dropped into a thrift store in Spokane Washington last summer and picked up several stainless vaccum thermoses of various name brands and all were excellent working [holds heat well] and each one of them was under 2 bux including a quart one....  if you can wander into one or more of those types stores, you might find such a thing plus keep a weathered eye open for stainless measure cups, the one and 2 cup sizes make excellent small cook pots over a "hatfull of fire" or work wonderful on a "tommy stove" with hexamine or trioxane type fule tabs, boil watger and use the water in a thermos to cook with as Kurt Saxon describes in his cooking with a thermos in the survival food section.  I reccomend reading allof his articles so you can get an idea you dont have to have all the gadgets, and can learn to think about what you really need and what the reason for survival is based upon your own circumstances.

"if i was a multi-millionaire, i probably wouldnt have all the thins i think i need either, so as a paycheck to paycheck family we have to make do with the cash we can put back to go as far as possible.  think in terms of each tool you want asto what function it serves in a MULTI type way. weight is a factor, read how the minimalist bacpackers travel with nearly nothing, and while i do not reccomend the minimalist stuff for a BOB, a person can learn a lot from those folks.... though i doubt removing the staple from a tea bag or cutting the handle off the toothbrush is gonna  make a huge impact, it does add up after a bit of working on it.

A BOB is a growing and living part of you, as you add and subtract parts and pieces, upgrade from one tool to another, you end  up with multiple bags that can be cached elsewhere for the times ahead that  you may have lost everything in some type of disaster, natural or man made..... it is a journey, not a finish line, and as we learn along the way we help out others with knowledge we acquire, and gear we cast off as extra...... though many folks have family the extra ends up going to.

Make a list of the things you want, then make a list of the things you have [i have a love-hate relationship with lists] and then look around the house for those things that fit the need to have list but is there to use til you replace it with something different..... it is like a game.  "I recently found a list i made back in 1986 of my then survival pack/hunting pack and
HOLY MOLY has it changed, but it was great to look at it and see how my own BOB as evolved and slimmed down in weight and style over the years..... but ya know i still have some of that gear in my hunting day pack! so it is a good thing to keep around.......... lists... make sure you date them though..... lol

Current, Future, and History,..... live now, plan for later and learn from the past.
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho
Pages: [1]   Go Up