Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Children, often over looked?????  (Read 2886 times)

Gungnir

• View Profile
Children, often over looked?????
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »

For some reason with all my google searches it seems to me that familly survival are often over looked. Many BOB's include individual survival items, but for me it includes for my familly as well. This can often mean more of stuff, or larger heavier items. In this case a BOV would be best but isnt always an option. I have a car but it isnt very reliable, infact i cant even promise it will get me to work tommorow or the next day. I live in an apartment block, and noticed that there are alwaysshoping carts out back from other famillies that do there shoping but dont have a vehicle to bring it all home. I decided that if my car isnt working a shopping cart would be perfect to haul extra gear. Now its great off road, but in the city and on the way out of the city or along paved roads it will be perfect. Im not talking alot of extra weight, but to a child the basics of survival will be more then just food, shelter and water. They may have a favorate book, toy, blanket, etc. Many of these itams require batteries or charging an internal battary. For this i bought a pocket sized solar battery charger. Food and water is another biggy, I am a very experianced hunter, so im not to worried about food .... but water, enough for one person for 3 days weighs alot never mind carrying enough for a child as well. I live in Canada we have the largest amount of fresh water in the world (i also lie pretty close to many secluded lakes). For this I spent the extra money on a decent water purification pump made by sweet water. lols its much lighter then extra water. What of the childs physical and mental prepardness? for this i recomend camping, lots of camping. Teach them to do things on there own, at a younger age get a tent with a devider so they have a feeling of independece and you have a feeling of protective security. Around 12 i say they can set up there own tent with in ear shot and should be old enough to learn to use a compass, you can make a game of it, use some ribbion as markers and dont forget a toy at the end, the toy can represent the difficulty. When i was first learning i was around 14 at first there was usually just a chocolate bar, or $5 bill at the end but when i was 16 my dad set up a real hard one, some markers were cammo ribbion, others could be a piece of the tree carved away but the end was the best thing ever for a 16 year old (back in the day) A NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM WITH MARIO AND DUCK HUNT and a key!!!!!!!! It took me 4 hours to make through his trail and about 400 words that im glad he wasnt around to hear. When i got back to the farm house I ran in to the liveing room to hook up my new NES, and my dad asked me if i had lost the key, i told him no and he said there somthing it unlocks in my room so i rushed there thinking i had also got Tetris (after all everyone had that game) and there was a gun case i opend it up and inside was my first 22 haha the chipmunk one from S.I,R (which is now called cabelas) and 6 root beers (or so i thought, no labels, just brown bottles like the rootbeer comes in from the corner store) lols turns out it was real beer brewed by my uncle. I spent the night feeling very proud of my self, and very grown up...... and haveing my first beer ever and being able to enjoy it with my dad lols. In the morning i got to experiance my first hang over, and my first boat fog horn at 6 am becaus "only men drink beer, and men get up early to mow the lawn on sunday no matter how much there head hurts" grrrrrrrr.

oh wow i totally went off topic, but atleast i got to relive my most favorate memory. I dont recomend giveing your 16 year old beer lols after all now adays he probably already had his first around 12 anyways and you dont really want to put him in the situation where he has to pretend he has never had it befor ..... or do you :p
haha mabe people can add tips to this, or share a memory of when you were first learning about survival.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Children, often over looked?????
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »

Shopping carts are great in town, but cross country or over gravel or broken roads really suck. A better bet is a small garden wagon, they come in various sizes including ones that are no larger than a kids wagon. They have bigger tires and can be pulled instead of being pushed, of course with a bit of modification you can push and pull them.

I have a number of travel games that don't require batteries as well as several books on card and dice games. I have Chinese checkers with checkers/chess on the inside, Ludo (like Parcheesi) with checkers/chess on the inside, Snakes & Ladders with checkers/chess on the inside, backgammon, cribbage, two sets of dominoes, two packs of plastic playing cards, three packs of regular playing cards and two decks of small playing cards. They fit in a gallon Ziploc bag with room to spare with instructions but minus the books. Most of the games are magnetic. I have some other games that are not magnetic.

Another option I've mentioned before for kids is some sort of generic role playing game like GURPS where you have a basic set of rules and can add additional genre rules like westerns or something with modern guns. I grew up playing D&D and several other role playing systems and they can make you think, you have to be able to picture the scene in your head (or have minimal visual cues) and react accordingly. If you're not into the swords and magic then leave them out and use the other stuff to entertain the kids AND teach them tactics and critical thinking skills. They are having fun and they are learning something because YOU are running the game and using it to teach them. A minimal outlay of cash will get you set up. Any situation you can dream up (think survival, etc) you can use the rules of the game to make it interesting and teach them using a rough story, let it develop on it's own as need dictates.

Some basic instructional books like Cubs and Scouts, camping geared towards kids (think 1940s and 1950s "Boys Own", etc), some Waterford Press pamphlets (search the message forums for Waterford Press and you will run into the ones I have) plus the ever popular Collins Gem edition of the SAS Survival Guide and you have plenty of things to occupy them and teach them with. Granted, this is for older kids but even if you are starting off with younger kids they will get older and if the world has really changed that much you may still need those skills.

If you have kids buy a BB or pellet gun NOW and lots of BBs or pellets, make sure it is a break open or lever cock so you don't have to worry about pumps or CO2 to power them. When they get older you can teach them how to shoot with it. Get a kids sized .22LR as well. Plan for the future and their needs then.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:40:32 AM »

Canuck, your game collection sounds like ours!

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »

lols my game collection consists of a psp, a few packs of cards, a handfull of dice (7 normal and then a mixture of ones that go up to twelve) and some paper. With a few decks of cards you can play hundreads of card games, with dice you can play poker, cheater, etc and with the larger dice and some imagination you can evenplay some roll play games. If you never played it befer just grab a used roll play book from a book store, or even download one play it a few times and after that you should be able to make your own with the dice, some paper and an imagination. Your imagination is your limit with a roll play game and can be a great way to get into a fantasy world if even for a little bit to help relive the stress of a situation. Yes i know the psp requires batteries, but its also lite weight and very entertaining.
Im not a huge fan of those small travel games, probably because im really good at loosing small pieces lols

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »

On the subject of Kids, for this topic, Kid is defined as under age 18, here in  the US. As to gear, well, clothing, food, shelter etcera are based on the individual, not a one size fits all system, Sure some things are similar, Food, Basic First Aid, Water, Shelter and the like. For each one tailor the package. Ten year olds for example do not usually need diapers, those under even 2 years do, and so on. Gadgets that require batteries, not so much. Some things are pretty common as in general mentioned above, some things are unique, like sayh Glasses, hearing aids with batteries etal but not Wii/Nintendo/Ipod or Ipad. well may I pad IF the information storage is worth it. other than Flashlights or the like, Most powered items should be SAME capable radio recievers or radio transceivers which can help with commnications in certain situations. Personally , having been a Step Parent, I am not a big fan of giving those ujnder age 16 access to cellphones or the like, but to be fair, that is me.

Basic Survival Items are critical and should be both stocked and trained with. Period End Dot.

just my .02 cents worth.
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »

talking about cell phones, i just got my 11 year old daughter a cell phone. she got an android. I love it! haha because its linux i already knew how to use it so its also a tracking device for me now but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol (another nifty trick i did was creating a fake fb account since she wont add my real one and added her with that one). My city is the leading city in canada right now for murders and violent crimes and thats just whats reported. Kids as young as 12 are carrying guns, knifes, bear spray, etc and they know how to use them. whe just had a group of kids charged for armed robbery whit a sawed off shot gun. this happened in the middle of the day and the youngest was 12. I cant tell my daughter she cant walk the one block to 7-11 so instead i do my best to protect her. Also those little personal alarms dont work, in my city if you hear one going off you walk the other way, if you do see something you pretend your deaf and blind unless you want to be shot. If you get involved you can be charged for being being a vigilante, body armour is illegal, etc..... they have made it pretty impossible to defend yourself.

back to kids and and bobs, we recently went to a campground to test out our bobs, yeah i know a camp ground is nothing like bugging out but I brought my 9 month old and wanted the saftey line it provided incase something went wrong. We were gone for 4 days and only brought what was in our bags. Turned out pretty good. I spent the majority of the first day cutting wood then went and got us some fish for dinner. The baby found lts own ways to amuse himself. We did bring a tent instead of our army shelter and im glad we did, during the day it was a full time job pulling little sticks and rocks out of the babies mouth, at night without the bottom of the tent would of been bad. His favourite game was log, to play this game he simply chewed contently on a log. We put down the ranger blankets we use to line our ponchos for him to play on and put his 5 toys we did bring on it and he still preferred the log. His diaper bag was able to hold twice as many diapers as needed, and plenty of food. In a real shtf situation we would of stretched his food with mushed up our food even if it ment pre chewing it for him and went to the cloth diapers ...... thinking about that I might add our little hand slap chop thing i got for Christmas a few years ago that i never used. it is ultra light and with it i can mush up most anything with out the need of electricity until it breaks. Were at 4 teeth now so soon enough he should be able to handle softer people food.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50:06 AM »

AND start now with teaching your kids to entertain themselves without all the gadgets.  My son is 20 (or will be in November) and is constantly 'bored' even with all the electronic gadgets (which has always driven me crazy but I started too late trying to get him to live without the gadgets).  As to phones and teenagers, I think it depends on the teenager and the individual situation.  If my son was in school now, I would think more about getting him a phone (with the rise in violence here also).  But I know me and I know him.  He thought it was his right to have one so I refused.  I'm a mean mom.  :)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »

I have several travel games of the non-electronic type and several packs of cards for entertainment purposes. Sometimes you have to force the kids to play board games but they usually enjoy them once they are playing.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »

We have a pile of board games tht we have collected over the years. We still try to drag one out every once in a while. Card games are good so keep lots of cards around. Dice games as well.
We have a box of pencils left over from when the kids were in school. It was soooo long ago (daughter just graduated!! Seriously we have a couple hundred pencils.
Usually buy paperbacks from salvation army or value village (just too damn expensive otherwise) Will accecpt donations as well from friends and family.
We still have some crayons but don't use them much, wife says I can't stay in the lines.

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 06:24:18 AM »

lols we use markers or pencil crayons here.I actually modified one of my old tattoo machines to hold them ...... lols you think daddy wants them to follow in his foot steps lols .......... I think by the time a child is old enough to remember the rules of board games they will be old enough to help out with chores so boredom wont be a big an issue. I had to spend one day just to get enough wood for a "fun time" fire. Collecting enough to stock pile to get use through a winter or even a week of winter is would be a full time job.
@sustainablehome, if my daughter had said it was her right to have a phone i would of agreed and dropped her off at the cell phone store and said go one, when she would of come back looking for a parents signature/co signer i would of told her that its not my right to sign.

Grog

• Community Page Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »

There was and has been some good feed back concerning cell phones. For the positive reasons, I can agree, I do not think the phones need to be on during class while kids are in school or attending political/social/religious functions. I hope that most kids are smart enough to used such devices responsibly. Same goes for some adults I am sure.

I am in the process of paying for and printing alot of my files to hard copy, replacement of electronics in a grid down situation may be difficult, even if you have access to electrical power. not to sound like a luddite, but tech is only good when it works, when it fails, what you have is what you have.

I agree that teaching kids to follow rules and based on getting them to follow those rules may be a good indicator before training for other things, like say Knife sharpening, but not necessarily tree cutting. There will be time and places for one or another to decide when it is time for what, as needed.

Survivalblog had a good article concerning kids as well . Here is a link http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/09/remember_the_little_things_by_bear.html
Preps are good, preps with knowledge better. Survivalist Site dot com pages http://www.survivalistssite.com/~grog/

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »

Having physical back ups of information is a must. Lets say you do have a laptop and a solar charger, the laptop is good until something fails. Then you have no information. I have a lot of electronic information but the really key stuff is in the form of books or print outs.

Some is in my head, and that is what notebooks, pens and pencils are for.

Key print outs can have multiple copies that are vacuum sealed so they will last for a long time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up