Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prague powder #1  (Read 4384 times)

Gungnir

• View Profile
Prague powder #1
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »

So I was gonna spend the day pickling some deer and cow and today and i ended up running all around my city looking for Prague powder #1. I bought a large supply a few years ago, ran out last year, kept putting off re stocking it and now when i need it I couldnt find it anywhere. Well thats not true I found one place in my city that sells it but there not open till monday meanwhile I got meat hanging. So my advice to you is if you come across Prague powder #1 (pink salt, cureing salt, etc) make sure you have a nice supply of it.

(i literally tried everywhere, whole sale sports, cabelas, walmart, every major grocery store, all the hunting stores, sausage making stores, butchers, i even tried beging a a place that specializes in Filipino style fish to sell me some from there personal stock)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Prague powder #1
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »

I have a bunch of salt stocked - regular table salt with iodine, pickling & canning salt, Kosher salt for salting meat, and ice cream salt also for salting  meat.

I may have to add some curing salt for the added preservatives although plain old salt was used for a long time.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »

it depends how picky you are. Pink salt helps control the colour. If you make corned beef with regualr salt it will turn grey when you cook it and taste a little off. I watched a documentary once that said most food in the mid evil times tasted like crap, even the mid evils didnt like it but ate it cause they needed food to live, and beer to... apparently beer  (not store brewed beer) contains lots of vitamines that they were lacking that is now pumped into foodsalong with lots of not so healthy chemicals.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:02:42 PM »

Yeah, there is a reason medieval food contained lots of strong spices. And the "small beer" they drank in place of water was a lot weaker in alcohol content. Just enough fermentation to kill the bugs.

I'll have to check curing salt out, seems to be a bit of nitrites and salt peter.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:22:19 AM »

the "small beer" they drank in place of water was a lot weaker in alcohol content. Just enough fermentation to kill the bugs.

so what they got there beer from 21 century America :p

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »

im actually pickling some beef right now and instead of useing pink salt i used Tender Quick. So far it has kept its nice pink colour but the little taste i sneaked was a bit salty (still plate-able though). So I learned if i plan on useing TQ to adjust my recipes lols.

Illini Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »

I've never ever heard/read "Praque Powder" used before ..... is that a term commonly used in your area of the country? ..... something you learned from your family? ...... new one for me and I've been doing it 5 decades now ....

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:50 PM »

I was able to look it up as Prague Powder. I think it is an older term and probably more European in nature. Being Canadian I can tell ya that we have some weird and sometimes archaic expressions for things. Being in American for nearly 20 years I've forgotten some of them, and then some of them have changed as I found out when I visited my family for the first time since 98.

Pages: [1]   Go Up