Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cot mosquito net  (Read 1556 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Cot mosquito net
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:32:32 AM »

I picked up my second cot mosquito net at Fleet Farm the other day, this one came with poles. Cost for these is usually around $10 for just the net a couple or three dollars more with the poles. I could care less about the poles to be honest.

I like these because they make up part of a lightweight shelter. I've used tarps to make a lean to and other tarp based shelters but the one reason I really prefer tents is the bug netting. With a mosquito netting for a cot I can have protection from the bugs in whatever shelter I make.

One tarp, one thermal blanket and mosquito netting rolled up with 6 stakes and some line makes for a lightweight and flexible shelter. If I have a hammock I can keep myself off the ground, reflect body heat back up to myself, have shelter from wind and rain and keep the bugs off of me. Even with the hammock I am looking at less weight than all but the lightest (and most expensive) tents.

Cost for a basic tarp is around $10, the reflective blanket and mosquito netting also cost $10 each. Parachute cord and stakes are under $10. Total cost is about $40 for a shelter that has many options and more uses than just shelter. I like tarps that are 7x9, 8x10 or 9x11 (measurements in feet) in size.

There are lighter weight tarps out there, like silnylon and similar materials but I use a basic poly tarp to keep price down. Maybe I will get a silnylon tarp in the future, but the cost is a bit high for my tastes at the meoment.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up