Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baofeng 2m / 70cm HT  (Read 2577 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Baofeng 2m / 70cm HT
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »

Monday I ordered a Baofeng UV-5RE+ 2m / 70cm hand held from Amazon.com for under $40. I've been looking at them for a couple of years and figured you can't beat the price. I'm glad I waited because the 2013 model is suppose to come with a decent antenna. It got here today. I've unboxed it and have it charging. In general they have gotten good reviews, as long as you aren't expecting a high end radio you won't be disappointed.

I'm not Ham so I know little about em, but I figure for an OH SHIBBIT!! situation they are handy to have. This weekend I'll work on programming it, with CHIRP software you can extend the frequency a bit. I will probably pick up another one at some point.

I'd like to get more comms gear but that all depends on money. In a larger city I would probably hit a Hamfest and pick up some decent older gear for basic coverage of various bands.

I am aware of the legalities of using them if you don't have your ticket, with exceptions for life and death emergencies of course, but since I don't plan on using it (them) aside from TSHTF ina  big way there will be no issues of legalities if/when they do get used. And honestly, in that situation I don't think I'm going to care about legalities.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Darren

• View Profile
Re: Baofeng 2m / 70cm HT
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »

I'm not a ham either but have been looking for years. Started a course 21 years ago but our son came early and never finished. Always been on my to do list. Looking at the price they are way less expensive than any other brands, what;s the quality like??Amazon,ca has a silmilar model at 49.99

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »

another good place for cheap higher end radios is construction companies they often have "damaged" radios they just throw out. Usually the damage is cosmetic or what they think is a major problem when in reality it just needs to be re programmed again. I got my radios from a lumber yard that was throwing them out because they just stopped working, i bought a programming cable and was able to get them working again and control the channel they work on.

LoneWolf

• Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »

I am a ham and I'm looking at it to hopefully within a couple months I'm getting one there is one thing you can also program them for FRS, GMRS and MUR freq. the program that you used to program it is the best one to use.  More thing you should get one a battery AAA case, a better ant, and the  Mic..

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »

I monkeyed with it a bit last night and today to make sure it worked and that CHIRP and the cable would program the thing. It works.

I'm still looking at how / what freqs I want to program into it. I is a newb so and looking for some CHIRP configs for it.

All the reviews I read on the Baofengs said they were very good radios, and when you factor in the price they end up being a steal. I would say based on the little I've played with it that they are well made. It feels solid and well made. All the pictures of it I've seen don't give a good idea of the size of the radio - minus the antenna it is the size of a standard US pack of smokes (20 pack) or a Canadian 20 pack, it is a bit thicker.

I did set the freqs at the recommended expanded ranges. I plan on picking up another one at some point and set that outside the normal freq range so they can be used for comms between us. More of a backup to CB and other methods in a SHTF situation.

I plan on getting the CB style mic, better antenna, 12V cord, expanded battery and maybe the AAA case. Magnet mounts and antennas are also on the list for the vehicles, and full size 2m/70cm base antennas at some point.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up