Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keystone meats at local Walmart  (Read 3024 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Keystone meats at local Walmart
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »

I was in the local Walmart yesterday and was poking around since I was alone. I was checking out the canned meats and found that my local Walmart is now stocking Keystone canned beef and canned chicken. I heard about Keystone a few years ago but hadn't gotten around to trying it, while they offer other meats as well all that I saw was beef and chicken. These are 28 oz cans with no water added and minimal processing for $6.80 a can which is better than I have been able to find anywhere else. Unfortunately the beef was all sold out. I checked again today but still nothing. As soon as they have any in stock I will pick up a can to give it a try and give a review :)
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Re: Keystone meats at local Walmart
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:02:06 AM »

Fantastic!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:09:43 PM »

One of the other local Walmarts carries the ground beef, turkey and pork as well as the beef and chicken. Yesterday I stopped off and picked those three up to go along with the beef and chicken.

As I type this I am eating an open faced roast beef sandwich made with Keystone canned beef. I could have made a bit more gravy, but other than that it is just like any open faced roast beef sandwich I would make the day after we have roast beef... in other words YUM.  How is that for an endorsement?

What Keystone doesn't say is that the beef is packed in its own juices, so you'll have some congealed fat in the can. This is a good thing because while it tastes pretty damn good right out of the can it is so much better when heated up and the excess fat has been drained off. There is plenty of fat and juices (no water added says Keystone) to make proper gravy, I cheated and just used a couple of boullion cubes and a bit of water in with the beef. It really is like a pot roast that has fallen apart in the pot, it is chunks of pot roast in the can.

We cracked open the ground beef, it is a tube of ground beef in the can with juices and fat. It tastes like the beef straight from the can, mmmmm. I think it would be great for sloppy joes,  spaghetti sauce, etc. The girlfriend is going to make taco meat and give me her opinion, I don't like tacos so I'll have to go with what she says.

The bottom line is these are well worth the money. Keystone can do beef and ground beef right, so I'm going to say that they can do the pork, chicken and turkey right too. I know I'm going to be adding Keystone meats to my supplies.

Canned beef is the hardest to get right in my opinion. I've tried a few other varieties of canned beef and I wasn't impressed, they basically went straight into the garbage.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »

Awesome!  It's nice to know there is a quality option besides canning your own!  You may (and I repeat MAY) make me step foot in a Walmart!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »

You can find em on the Amazon and can probably find out from them if anyone else in your area sells them.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »

I wanted to update on Keystone meats. We've tried the beer and ground beef as I noted earlier. We've also tried the pork in pulled pork sandwiches and the chicken in open faced sandwiches. We haven't tried the turkey yet. The ground beef is a hit for tacos and Sloppy Joes.

All I can say is that the meat is worth every penny. Keystone says their meats have a shelf life of 5 years, not that it will last that long. Then there are the studies that show that canned food in general will last for quite a bit longer than that.

I'm not a big fan of chicken. I like chicken wings and chicken legs, both deep fried of course. I would have to say aside from wings and legs Keystone chicken is my third favorite.

Keystone has a permanent place in our pantry, both for every day use and long term storage meat. Meat is the most difficult thing for long term storage in my opinion. Being able to buy a can of meat at the store that is as good as you would make from scratch makes storing meat a lot easier.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »

Meat is the most difficult thing for long term storage in my opinion. Being able to buy a can of meat at the store that is as good as you would make from scratch makes storing meat a lot easier.

I can't agree more.  Plus, the added shelf life helps.  "They" say home canned meat is safe for a year, max.  I honestly think that depends on how it's canned and stored but that's pretty limiting if you are intending for it to be longer term food storage.

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »

Gotcha, you won't allow oil through the pipeline so we are jammin" our beef and pork to a processing plant dowm there through what was already  built.   :D :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up