Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grid down - Nat. Geo's "American Blackout"  (Read 1167 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Grid down - Nat. Geo's "American Blackout"
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

I watched this the other day after downloading it from Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PreJvrljihI since I had heard a few good reviews.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet so I will keep my comments general.

I think they did a pretty good job. They may have been a bit optimistic on how long it would take things to start sliding into chaos, but I think their time line was pretty good - aside from the end, which I will get to later. They told a good story that was easy to watch, and more importantly that you wanted to watch. They had a good group of characters that they spent more time with than others, and I think they did a good job with the characters and with those characters being a cross section of the average American city and suburban person.

In two hours, 1.5 without commercials, they told the story from start to end. They provided enough information in the "story" and then added some other facts as notations on the screen to put things into context. I think it is worth watching and I think everyone should watch it. And that takes into account that I have issues with the ending, serious issues.

Why I have issues with the ending. It's a TV movie, of course the power comes back on. While bad things happen during the movie - riots, violence, starvation, sanitation, etc - in the end it has to finish on a positive note. The problem is for the amount of damage caused to the grid we're looking at upwards of 10 years for the grid to be repaired and this is a main stream number, National Geographic didn't have the event last that long. That being said, I wish they had ended with a note on the screen telling people that some main stream estimates are as long as 10 years for the grid to be repaired.

All that being said, I think National Geographic did a great job of presenting the facts and the reality of what the average American could expect without scaring the crap out of them. I think they left people who have never thought about this situation and aren't preppers with hope that by making some basic preparations now they stand a much better chance of surviving.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Darren

• View Profile
Re: Grid down - Nat. Geo's "American Blackout"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »

Thanks Canuck now I guess I gotta watch the damn thing since you thought it was good. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up