Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMP & YOUR NEW CAR WILL . . . DIE!!!  (Read 2518 times)

Angelo wood elf

• View Profile
EMP & YOUR NEW CAR WILL . . . DIE!!!
« on: December 26, 2013, 03:15:24 AM »

If there is an EMP the computer in your car will die! I suggest keeping an old beater around for when this happens. Something that is more than a POW, beater with a heater, something that is in fairly good shape. Just saying.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Re: EMP & YOUR NEW CAR WILL . . . DIE!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:58:15 AM »

Yeah, it looks like there is actually some contradictory information out there about this (some saying a newer car will actually survive).  We did have one but had to sell when we moved (it was a 1973 Chevy truck).  It was too wide for the new drive way and was non-oped because we couldn't afford the fuel for it!  We're still hunting around for another (hopefully smaller in stature) vehicle.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »

EMP is a tricky subject. A lot of what is on the net was written by Duncan Long about 20 years ago. A few years ago he wrote a follow up that talked about modern vehicles in which be basically stated that due to all the new electronics, high energy coils, etc in modern vehicles and especially under the hood that new cars are actually fairly well shielded and shouldn't have a problem as a general rule. Those would be late model cars and trucks, I'd say that what he wrote originally would still count for the early electronics to about mid 2000s. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find the follow up article again and I never made a copy.

That being said, I still don't take any chances and have good running older vehicles as well.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »

My main fear with modern vehicals is the tracking abilities. I have completly removed the computers from  jeeps and trucks befor so im not concerned about that but im totally against anyone else knowing where i am, how fast im going, if i have been in an acident or giving someone else the ability to shut down my vehical remotaly.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »

My main fear with modern vehicals is the tracking abilities. I have completly removed the computers from  jeeps and trucks befor so im not concerned about that but im totally against anyone else knowing where i am, how fast im going, if i have been in an acident or giving someone else the ability to shut down my vehical remotaly.

Yeah, that's the thing that worries us if we were to ever get a new vehicle.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »

I don't have to worry about that with my vehicles. But it would be a worry if I bought a new vehicle. Usually you're fine if you whack the antenna to the Onstar type unit, no antenna means no comms for it. Some vehicles just won't work if you disable the Onstar type unit so removing the antenna is the only option other than a complete after market computer system.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up