Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ka bar usmc full size battle knife  (Read 1485 times)

Gungnir

• View Profile
ka bar usmc full size battle knife
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »

Instead of writing a review im just gonna give my oppinions. After all google will provide you with hundreads of consitant reliable reviews.
For a large quality fighting knife this has to be the best knifes for your buck, I have never read a bad review for this knife being what it is, a fighting knife.  Where I have read mixed reviews is this knfe as a survival knife. I have decided its because we have so many diffrent types of preppers that all have personal prefrence. You got some tht thing anything millitary is the best, some that that think like all products some military is good some is crap, and ones that just have to have what everyone else has, , and ones that just want what will work best. I have heard complaint about the leather griip rotting away but i personally cant find picture proof on somthing less then 40 years old, naturaly it wil eventually but any prepper worth there stockpile will not only know how to work with and care for leather they will have the supplies needed.
So you just have to ask yourself how good are you with a knife. This knife is big, thick and heavy and unless your are very profficent with a knife this one will hinder you. I pretty much only use hunting knifes, I dont actually own any kitchen knifes and my buck or sog folder have become my main knives around the house i use them for cutting my dinner, eating apples, opening mail, etc. As a survival knife this is a good knife as a bug out knife you better have practice. If your looking for a good knife for your bugout bag i would not reccomend it sinceit is just going to go into your bugout bag and stay there you will not get alot of practice with it and removing it from your bug out bag ang ou risk leaving it begind.
Plain and simple although this is one of the best knives out there, for the average person this knife is just to big, heavy, and cumbersom for a bug out knife. Now what kind of post would this be if i didnt give my 2 cents on what good alternatives would be. Well two i can think of of the top of my head ((both f which are in my bob) the les stroud knife which is attatched to the shoulder strap on my bob and the buck special which is on the day pack section of my bob (this part  is also my hunting bag). If you trulky want a ka bar and no one will blame you aftert all its quality is amazing i would recomend the short one same material, same great quality, just a couple inches shorter and lighter. You will be able to manouver it better, raw less attention with it, be more proficiant with it, and ultimatly survive better with it.
When it comes to your survival never over estimate your abilities, once you have done that you have already doomed yourself.
Personally, my kabar will relace my bowie as my bov/base camp knife. As for my carry knife its still gonna be buck, though i do have the itch to pick up the short kabar, after all i love everything else about this knife.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Re: ka bar usmc full size battle knife
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »

Thank you for this.  When looking at them, I wasn't sure which one I would prefer.  Now, thanks to you, I know I'd prefer the shorter one. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »

The shorter one would defenetly be more practical. I geuss it all depends on its intended use and the users ability. Most fine work is done on the back portion of a knife so stear clear of the serated blade. All that does is take away a couple inches of useable knife and give you a couple inches good for cutting rope which by the way the straight part of the nife does fine. For any detailed work involving the tip, well the closer it is to your hands the better it will be. Like skinning animals and such, theres a reason there shorter knives. People like to think bigger is better but thats not always the case. I like to carry a knife with me even in the city and somthing thise size would draw alot of attention though the shorter one which is roughly the same size as a buck special i have gotten away with carrying no questions asked. Granted in myh city we have no laws saying how big of a blade we can carry provided its not concelead but i just cause you can doeasnt mean you should especially when staying low key and blending in is the best camoflauge out there.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »

Yeah, the same here.  We could walk around with a samurai sword strapped to our back and, while we'd be questioned, it technically is legal (stupid but legal).  I like using my knives for anything I can so they have to hold up to me digging in the dirt or whatever I decide to do with them.  I have one I won't do that with because I like it too much.  All else are fair game.

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »

So i have now had a chance to use this knife for multiple tasks. Theres knife can pretty much do anything but only really excels at one thing, being a durable high quality knife. I have used it for skinning, filleting, butchering etc. Although it could do everything i threw at it, it couldnt do everything well. It will be by your side faithfully forever it will build your camp, defend you, get you food, prepare your foodpretty much any task but will never replace a purpose designed knife at some tasks.
FYI ifin your looking for a decent very affordable knife for skinning check out the winchester with guthook at walmart. Like $20 and decently made for its inteded purpose. It is actually made by gerber but lisenced by winchester.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »

Ka-Bars are nice, well made, hold an edge, etc.

My issue with them comes down to the design of the tang, the bit in the handle that you don't see. Ka-Bars have a rat tail tank or a very thin tank, and this is where it is prone to breakage if used for prying or digging. As a combat knife it does it's job well.

Other options are the Ontario Knife Co knives and the Cold Steel GI Tanto. I have a couple of the GI Tantos and like them. They may not be the best quality but they are good quality (equal to Ka-Bar) and have a full size tang that isn't going to break with abuse. There use to be a site out there knifetest.com and the guy tortured the crap out of knives until they broke, it was a good site for seeing how much punishment a knife would take before it failed, some of those videos are still on Youtube.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »

Just an update, we all know about the kabar, infact I probably didn't have to write my review. The kabar USMC knife is and always will be Jack of all trades, master of none. Now for some reason the survivalist community has a deep love for military surplus. The only reason I can figure is casue the majority of them are commando wannabes, probably the first to die off. In reality, lots of military gear is made by the cheapest bidder and is rarely what one would call "quality" but occasionally there is a diamond on the rough, a hidden gem that's the best band for your buck. The kabar USMC was one of these. But it has been dethroned (IMO) not by cold steel (I personally hate them) and not by Ontario (love them, hate there price), but by kabar them self. Anyone who has used the USMC knife for even a minimal amount of time knows that although it will get the job done with a few changes it could be so much better and many of us (including myself) have made those mods (lanyard hole, grinding off the top handguard etc) kabar noticed this and responded with the kabar dogs head. I have no idea when it came out, and had it of been available when/where I bought my USMC I would of opted for the dogs head. If your either in the dark or a little (or alot) behind like me, look it up. Same quality with all the mods we do from factory and still under $100.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »

Cool. Ka-bar does respond to customer wants and needs :)
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up