Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have to pick up some Mountain House pouches  (Read 1000 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Have to pick up some Mountain House pouches
« on: July 23, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »

We had to run some errands yesterday, one of the places was Fleet Farm and they have Mountain House pouches on sale for $5 something vs $7 something. I'll pick up a few Monday, not sure how many but I'm leaning towards 10. I like them for the bug out bag, even though I have cans of food the pouches fit in odd spaces and don't take up as much room.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
Re: Have to pick up some Mountain House pouches
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:01:50 PM »

Since ive been going thru my preps and checking inventory and inspecting for damged canned goods and packaging holes and expiration dates.... Ive been checking out all the "new" to the marketplace backpacker foods.

What i have found is all are about the same price range and servings are about the same size BUT calorie count is something to watch out for [this blood pressure  and needing to lose weight has me reading labels] not all backpacker foods are gonna give you decent calorie counts, and then taste is a factor... the one new one worth checking out is "omeals" which is put out by the folks who operate XMRE if my research is correct last night... but their calorie count on some meals is low too.... neat thing is you dont have to tote a stove along for them, and they come with their own heater for the same price as similar packages from mountain house or alpineaire and such.... still pricey even purchased by the case. 

BD
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »

Those look interesting, would make for great backpacking food. The two year shelf life means they're not long term though.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 01:01:39 AM »

I agree about the 2 year shelf life, and the way some folks have to store some of their prep foods, the LTS foods may not all last the 25 years either.  shoot there are some companies out now that haven't been around for more than 5-7 years and tout their shelf life is 25-30 and they are the ones to watch out for on calorie count.... and they have their own independent "test pages" and reviews, but funny how no bad reviews are ever given or posted....

Its funny to a degree that when you find some of these pages, you see they are nearly  always number one and the number 2 choice is mountain house products though and maybe its because ive been in retail for a number of years and see thru their wholesale BS. 

I would wager that MH overall is still the best out there for the dollars, though some may have better taste [not a charlie the tuna canned joke either]

BD

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »

I've had Alpinaire and Backpackers Pantry, they were OK but kind of bland... like they added the individual ingredients to the bulk tank, mixed and packaged. Mountain House actually cooks up huge batches of whatever it is and then freeze dries that so there is a better taste. There are other companies that make products that will last a long time, if it is freeze dried there is a good chance that Mountain House (parent is Oregon Freeze Dry) made it for them since they are about the largest freeze dried company in the world and do a lot of private label contracts.

Good dehydrated goods will keep a long time depending on the packaging as well. So there are options, but freeze dried is probably the best bet.

The shorter shelf life products are good for camping and short term emergency storage. I have three cases of MREs a friend gave me when he got back from training last year. He's retiring from the reserves after 20 years so that supply option will go away.

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:36:27 PM »

Other than a higher calorie count, folks generally get tired of eating most MRE made for the military.... and even in a bugout we are not gonna need that high of a calorie intake for longer periods generally.  granted some of the newer menus are better flavored and ya wont get tired of the selections, but dollars spent vs per package, the MRE items are outside what i want to spend except to have a couple cases around for hunting/mining/ and emergency vehicle problems in the mountains..... the weight also makes them a problematic thing if we were to become walking refugees limited to just our packs depending on the direction we would be heading at the time...... I can tote quite a bit of the more expensive freeze dried and dehydrated foods along though some of them take up just as much room as the MRE volume wise and a person needs to find a water source more often [8 pounds per gallon adds up fast too in a pack]

I keep studying these products long enough, and i will have a whole new line of education under my belt, and enough knowledge to open up a product line of my own if I dont find something i like perty qwik, and i dont really want to do that..... Ive already been doing a decent breakfast granola type thing and working on it going into a bar for prospecting..... since not everything already out there is what i want either in that department..... and the kitchen at the bakery/ restaurant that my wife manages is set up for production and shipping i know it would be possible to contract it there at a reasonable price point.... she just isnt ready to go that way though i know the owners would allow for it as long as we paid the costs up front.  we have talked about purchasing the establishment but the owners are still emotionally attached at this point to the tune of $800K  and what they do is about $300K per year right now [the right  products marketed in the correct way and it could do $2.5 to 5 million per year shipping out specialty seasonal goodies] we would be into it over $million just to prove it could happen the way we see it, the owners used to come close but they lost their Costco contract several years before my wife started managing for them, and she cant find a baker on the owners terms [cheap help aint good and good help aint cheap.... and they want cheap help]

options are always good, and believe it or not a bakery/resturant actually makes decent sense for a prepper to a degree.... but i digress off topic.

BD

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »

I just picked up two more MH beef stew pouches for my bushcraft bag.

As far as bars go I've been enjoying the Larabars, although they have a new peppermint flavor that is REALLY intense. They are the best bars I've been able to find - maximum of 6 ingredients with the base being dates and some good flavors. They are great in the deer stand or as trail snacks, or snacks at work.

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »

My oldest son likes certain Cliff bars, which i can take or leave.... im gonna have to look into the LArabar, see if anyone carries them around here or i will check on the amazon site for a trial run of em..... Ive got overwhelmed by the selection a couple times at the local grocery, way to many different types and brands.... which is why i still would consider doing one out of the bakery yet...... why not add another choice thats local to the lot  8)

BD

William
Central Idaho
Pages: [1]   Go Up