Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A good bear/survival dual purpose shotgun?.  (Read 1416 times)

Spence

• View Profile
A good bear/survival dual purpose shotgun?.
« on: June 01, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »

Hi All:

I was thinking of getting me a good shotgun for my prospecting this summer. Not interested in big bores. The  Remmy 1100 caught my interest. I figure a good rapid fire .410 semi with Berneke slugs should give me comparable .357 stopping power. I would also purchase a couple boxes of the larger shot shells for survival situations such has encountering road rage(more like panic) on my escape route. I'll have the family with me so I won't be taking any sh$% from anyone. I know the 3-4 shell magazine is limiting, but I'm focusing on stopping power. With bears I hope to get at least two in on a charge depending on distance of course. I don't have a restricted license so that limits me a lot.

The thing is about the 1100 is barrel length of 27 inches. Maybe be great for skeet, but not very handy in the brush for possible snags when you only have seconds to respond. A shorter barrel w/cylinder bore would be ideal.   

Just putting it out there. My budget is around 5-600$ or am I being too optimistic :D

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: A good bear/survival dual purpose shotgun?.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »

Are you set on .410 and an autoloader?

For your price range you should be able to get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 pump in 12 gauge and a Mossberg 500 in .410, this way two guns with a good mix of ammo choices for whatever you need it for. Both the 500 and 870 have multiple barrel lengths and the ability to add an extended magazine tube. Since these are the two most common shotguns around there are all sorts of after market parts available - from pistol grips to adjustable stocks and just about anything you could think of.

Autoloaders are nice, my friend has a Saiga 12, he has box mags and a drum. Lots of fun on an AK based shotgun. I'm still a fan of pump actions, they are cheaper and the design is fairly simple with less to go wrong.

If you want ultra versatility there are inserts that will allow you to shoot other calibers in a break open shotgun:
http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm
http://shotgunadapter.com/
http://www.gaugemate.com/

I don't think they will work in a pump action shotgun though. Chiappa makes a three barrel break open shotgun but they're about $1500: http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/135

If you don't mind used, you may even be able to get a 500 or 870 in 12g, a 500 in .410 and a double barrel break open  for your budget and then you can buy inserts for the double barrel break open as money allows.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Spence

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »

Yeah, don't want anything large. My first grandkid is approaching 14, and his dad hasn't got any shotguns, so it'll also be a a good first timer.

Thanks for the references.

Inserts in Canada? Fat chance, but I'll look it up.

I'll take a look at the 500, should be some dealers around in ontario. The thing is, the shotgun should be fireable even when injured. Any finger with a semi will do. With a pump you need an uninjured arm to reload. I'm playing up the worse case scenerio here all hypothetical of course and figuring there's still a chance at close quarters to get a good shot in even when mauled. On TV they had a story of a guy trying to position his rifle while on his stomach while the bear was eating his legs. He managed to get it over his shoulders and the bear actually put the muzzle in his mouth. The gun misfired. I think his friend saved him.

Back in 69 I bought a spanish double 410 at K-Mart for $15.00 I think it was. It came packed in that storage grease
gunk and was folded in half in the box. I wasn't impressed with my purchase until I cleaned it all up. It was beautifully engraved on the side and tolerances of parts were tight. I had a lot of fun grouse shooting with it. Sorry I sold it.

The longer barrel is a factor in punch power in this gauge for slugs, and I assume some of it will be lost with the shorter barrel.

Thanks for the tips.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:22:54 AM by Spence »

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:27:41 PM »

Ya, I keep forgetting about Canada, dunno if they're legal up there or not.

You can load a pump single handed, kind of a pain but it can be done. A break open is the easiest to load one handed, but you're limited to one or two shells at a time.

http://shotgunadapter.com/ ships to Canada so they ought to know if they are legal

Aguila makes some 2 inch shells for 12ga, they are lower power so even smaller folks can fire them.

I'd also look at the Maverick 88, they are made by Mossberg and accept most of the 500 accessories but cost a bit less. Last time I checked they are made in Mexico but to Mossberg specs with the only real difference being a trigger safety rather than a traditional shotgun safety. Gungnir loves em, maybe he'll chime in.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »

I have to double vote the mavrik. Its a great gun and at 12g your 14 year old will have no problems at all. It has a changable chokes so you can controle the shot to hunt many things and still go trap shooting. A 410 is more for kids in the single diget ages or a guy with a broken arm (has comparable or less kick then an sks with less stopping power)
With the mavrik you can also get tactical stocks, and many add ons (even in canada)
Inserts are legal in canada, you can even legally take a hacksaw to the barrle and stock so long as you keep it with in legal length.
I have owned many auto loader shotguns and unless your willing to shell out $1k the all suck. Seriously,  the constantly break and jam, and when somthing does break its usually expensive and beyond the average persons knowledge so you have to pay for a gun smith.
Do on your self a favour, save hundredz, and seriously consider the mavrik, my 8 year old shoots my 12g mav88 and loves it. Its only 12g, I was able to go duck hunting with a pulled shoulder, it hurt a bit but I was able to non the less.
Pages: [1]   Go Up