Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebola  (Read 3900 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Ebola
« on: August 09, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »

Well it seems that Ebola is spreading with an outbreak of some sort in Germany at a hostel: http://www.bild.de/regional/hamburg/ebola/ebola-verdacht-in-hamburg-37182352.bild.html

Google translate gives the text of the report as:
To 22 clock the man was eventually supplied with an infection ambulance to a special ward in the University Hospital Eppendorf (UKE). The car was accompanied during the journey of more than six police patrol car.

Currently block police from the house on the grounds at Poppenbüttlerweg.

Global disease alert

The fight against the deadly disease in West Africa continues in full swing. Already on Friday called on the World Health Organization (WHO) of the global pandemic alert. According to information from BILD am Sonntag an ebola patient is expected in Germany. At a German airport, the fire department was already on alert.

According to Health Canada airborne transmission of Ebola is suspected but not confirmed. They also say that Ebola can remain active on surfaces such as door knobs are counters for several days. We should all keep this in mind going forward.

Tyvek suits, shoe covers, gloves and gas masks may be good things to keep on hand or stock up on it you don't already have them.

Fortunately, if things get bad I can work from home and can basically self quarantine if need be. It isn't as convenient as working in the office but it can be done as long as I have an internet connection.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Re: Ebola
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »

Thank you for this.  Haven't seen anything about it spreading anywhere else.  The "funny" thing is, Tom Clancy covered this in one of his books (Threat Vector maybe).  Airborne was a discovery in the book and now they are acting like it's been known (as in someone coughs on you).  If he's right (and it's eery how right he can be) it would die out quicker in colder climates.  The only way they dealt with it in the book was to let it run it's course and closed all borders (including states).

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »

http://en.ria.ru/society/20140810/191881629/Germany-Quarantines-Patient-With-Suspected-Ebola.html

Germany Quarantines Patient With Suspected Ebola
© AP/ David Goldman
12:08 10/08/2014

MOSCOW, August 10 (RIA Novosti) - German doctors have isolated a patient showing symptoms of the deadly Ebola virus, Bild newspaper writes Sunday.

A man who recently came from Sierra Leone, where the virus has already claimed 12 lives, sought medical help on Saturday due to high fever and nausea. He was admitted to the emergency room of a Hamburg hospital and isolated. He was later transferred to the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf accompanied by a convoy of six police cars. It remains unclear whether the patient had any contact with Ebola-infected people in Africa.

At the end of last month, Hamburg's Bernhard-Nocht-Institute agreed to accept Ebola patients for treatment as requested from the World Health Organization (WHO).

On Saturday, a Canadian patient showing symptoms of what could possibly be Ebola virus was quarantined near Toronto upon his arrival from Nigeria.

Ebola symptoms resemble those of flu, and include fever, weakness, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, and bleeding.

Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria have declared the state of emergency due to the worst Ebola outbreak in history and the first to occur in West Africa. The virus has killed 961 people as of August 6, with 1,779 infected, according to the World Health Organization.

WHO announced the virus outbreak an emergency situation of international importance on Friday.

There is no licensed treatment or vaccine for the Ebola virus, which has a case fatality rate of up to 90 percent. Medical workers use rehydration fluid and antibiotics to fight infections. Some groups have called for new drugs to be rolled out in Africa after two US aid workers infected with the virus responded positively to an experimental treatment known as Zmapp.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »

On Saturday, a Canadian patient showing symptoms of what could possibly be Ebola virus was quarantined near Toronto upon his arrival from Nigeria.

That was in Brampton, not very far from Toronto. The person would have had to fly into Pearson International in Toronto, so the potential for contact with a lot of people is there.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/10/patient-at-brampton-ont-hospital-tests-negative-for-deadly-ebola-virus-after-trip-to-nigeria/

What I don't understand is why they are allowing travel either to those countries affected or back.  Do they want this to spread?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:19:10 PM by Sustainablehome »

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if they do want it to spread.

New from the CDC (some airborne threat from Ebola):

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

Low risk exposures

A low risk exposure includes any of the following

Household member or other casual contact1 with an EVD patient
    Providing patient care or casual contact1 without high-risk exposure with EVD patients in health care facilities in EVD outbreak affected countries*

So what is casual contact?

According to the CDC casual contact is:
1 Casual contact is defined as a) being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) or within the room or care area for a prolonged period of time (e.g., healthcare personnel, household members) while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment (i.e., droplet and contact precautions–see Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations); or b) having direct brief contact (e.g., shaking hands) with an EVD case while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment (i.e., droplet and contact precautions–see Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations). At this time, brief interactions, such as walking by a person or moving through a hospital, do not constitute casual contact.

So if you're in the same room as a person with Ebola and within 3 feet of them for a prolonged period of time you could end up catching it. A long ride in a plane such as from Africa to North America and within 3 feet of someone with Ebola could result in you getting Ebola. Or, you meet someone who has Ebola and shake their hand.

So what the CDC is saying is that there is at least some airborne threat of Ebola.

Ain't that just great? The chances of a full blown pandemic just increased. Now, this could be another case of the SARS, Swine Flu, Avian Flu, H1N1 fear mongering we've seen in recent years. The problem is that Ebola is much worse, I'm not sure it is worth taking chances until we know more. I'm not going to panic, but I am going to make sure that I have preps in place just in case and I will keep my eyes on the news for further developments.

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:57:13 PM »

Low risk exposures

A low risk exposure includes any of the following

Household member or other casual contact1 with an EVD patient
        Providing patient care or casual contact1 without high-risk exposure with EVD patients in health care facilities in EVD outbreak affected countries*

Really, haven't there been spme where around 38 heath care workers die already. From what I can see on the news they are dressed like they are in an NBCW suit AND they are trained professionals. Here is an idea put a member of congress on every flight to and from these countries to prove to the public air travel is safe. If there is no member of congress on the flight then it gets grounded, lets see how many take off then.
If your saying it a low risk then prove it.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »

Don't forget MPs or whatever elected politicians in a given country are called.

Then again, that is similar to my solution for war. Every member of congress is given a rank in the military when they take their oath of office. If they vote for war or abstain or otherwise do not object actively in a recorded vote of "No" (that includes congress just letting the president decide) then they are immediately activated for service and go to the combat zone on the next flight. Oh, and all of their children (grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc) are immediately drafted as well... there are no deferments for family of congress critters. While we're at it, make it all of their immediate family and their children, grandchildren, etc are subject to immediate draft and active combat zone duties (can be pot scrubber on the line for all I care but they will be there in a combat zone). Just imagine how many people would have went if Strom Thurman had been subject to this just before he left office at damn near 100 years old. I bet my solution would keep war from happening much. It's easy for politicians to send other people and other people's families to war, they may think again when they and their immediate family and descendants will be heading to combat.

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »

Hell works for me. I don't see any issues with that. Just to be clear I did serve so feel I have a legitimate claim. Would love to have my MP beside me. Not sure I would like taking orders but gotta take the good with the bad. Hopefully he wouldn't show up with about 500 rounds in him could be considered suspicious.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »

They could be a private, I didn't say what rank :)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »

Last week I ordered some Tyvek suits, some of the regular ones and some of the Tychem. I'm waiting on the Tychem ones and should have them tomorrow.

I took a large pouch / small bag I had laying around and put one of the regular Tyvek suits and a gas mask in it. I'll have to pick up nitrile gloves, mine are packed away, and some N95 masks to put in my "Ebola kit" along with some duct tape to seal wrists. The suits I have come with booties but I will buy some more. The N95 masks really aren't enough for close contact but for distant contact or when you just want the gas mask off they will work. I'll also pick up a pair of work gloves to cover the nitrile ones. I'll add some 1.25% bleach solution to use for disinfecting / decontamination of the suit.

I decided to keep a kit in my truck just in case. With that nurse in Texas testing positive for Ebola and she was wearing protective gear although not a full face mask / gas mask it would seem to indicate that Ebola is now airborne.

Has anyone else made up an "Ebola kit"?

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »

Basically no. We do stock masks and gloves but no tyvex type suits or full face shields.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »

The main thing with Ebola is to keep it from contacting your skin, regular tight weave cloth will accomplish that. So long sleeve shirts and jeans will work, I think it was a Canadian government site I read that on. The gas mask type full facial protection along with a hood is a key part of staying protected. Honestly, any old surplus gas mask with a filter will work, the paper media will keep out Ebola but without the charcoal it won't work for chemical and nuclear.

Got the Tychem suits Tuesday. I also ordered some disposable booties (50 pairs), those will help keep the Tyvek suits from wear and tear since they have the built in booties, at least when rubber boots aren't worn over the feet/legs of the suit. I picked up 100 pairs of Nitrile gloves to complete the kits, plus they have so many other uses.

Aside from self quarantine I am as prepared as I can be.

Pages: [1]   Go Up