Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping Your Generator Ready  (Read 953 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Keeping Your Generator Ready
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:15:40 AM »

It's that time of year again. Have you checked out your generator? I have always been very careful to make sure our generator is always ready to run at a moments notice. Get it out 2 to 3 times a year and start it up. Yes I let it run for about and hour and make sure everything is running properly. Check the gas and make sure it is still fresh even when you use stabilizers it can still go bad. One of the biggest problems is the varnish buildup in the carb and it's needle valves. If you are not sure about the gas in the tank I recommend draining it and replacing it with fresh unleaded gas. DON'T EVER USE ETHANOL!!!!!!! I can tell you horror stories about folks who use it in small engines. Always use the gas stabilizers in it too. The old gas can be run in your lawn mower mixed with some fresh. Check you fuel filters yes filters I use 2 just to be sure the gas is filtered to the maximum extent. People will laugh about that but when they see just how well it works they are always shocked. Your 1st filter catches most of the gunk and there is a lot of gunk in gas. LOL remember it is also a solvent. Check your plug and make sure you always have a new one on hand. I keep mine next to the extra gas filters in a metal container fastened to the generator so you don't have to look for them. Run your generator for an hour and check the electrical output to make sure all is ok. Just a little bit of prevention can make a huge difference when the time comes that you need to use it. I also have a dog house that has wheels on it so you can cover the generator to protect it from the elements when you run it out side. Another good idea is to buy a new muffler for your generator and make an adaptor that you can attach flex pipe to and a bigger muffler to cut down on noise. Yes they can be noisy and this also can be a security issue. Plenty of people have generators in our area and when in use they are very easy to hear. Kind of self explanatory. Also remember this is the time of year to put the lawn mowers up for the year too. Drain the gas tank and run them until they are out of gas then store them away. Saves a lot of problems when you get them out in the spring.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Keeping Your Generator Ready
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »

One of my generators needs new magnets in the generator head, I have them on hand but it's a tow person job to get the engine and generator head out of the frame. Once that is done it needs to run for two hours to break in the engine, new engine on a free generator, then it gets converted to propane. Propane eliminates the problems of gas generators. The kit I bought will allow the engine to run on propane or gas, it will run on propane 99% of the time and gas only when there is no propane.

The other didn't want to start last week, needs the gas drained and new gas put in it. I'll probably have to clean the carb too.

If your generator is a bit hesitant to start don't use ether or starting fluid, use WD40. The ether or starting fluid will eat the seals and gaskets in the carb where WD40 won't.

I also have a small 2-stroke I need to work on, it's always been a pain to start but once running it is fine.

As for ethanol, if you live in Minnesota finding gas without ethanol can be a real chore, they do make additives that fix the issues with ethanol if you can't find anything else. The additives usually bind to the ethanol (and water) and basically make it pass through without burning.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up