Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have lots of elbow room  (Read 1441 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Have lots of elbow room
« on: November 27, 2014, 05:58:37 PM »

One of the things I really like about our location is that within a 15 mile radius we have over 9000 acres of public hunting and fishing. Yes there are places like that here in the Midwest. It's not all corn and soybeans. While we don't have any big rivers we have plenty of small rivers and streams as well as marsh land. Lots of fishing and bird hunting, trapping, and deer too. The towns are small generally under 1500 people with most around 6 to 800. I would say that in that area I would know 80% of the folks personally. You know who owns what land and who the good folks are along with the bad. Lots of elbow room and you don't have people getting in each others way.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Have lots of elbow room
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »

I have a fair bit of elbow room where my house is, more where I'd be if everything went to hell. Between my friend and his uncle I have invites for when the crap hits the fan, and with a family that tops 300 I think there'll be a crew on the old farmstead.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »

Canuck that sure seems like a lot of people???? Do you have the infrastructure to handle that many folks? I would say that would require a lot of area and a sufficient amount of equipment to support that many people. It would be nice to have a group that big for support but would it be practical? Mind you I am not putting it down but just wonder if it is practical. I would think a smaller group would be more manageable and easier to provision.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »

LOL, it's a lot of people for sure. The family farm is 1200 or so acres I'm told. And honestly, it wouldn't be just the one place. There are several farms and acreages around here in my friend's family. Not all of them live around here either. Is all the infrastructure in place? No, but if it all hit the fan in the worst case scenario that infrastructure would go in mighty fast. Think of a small town with damn near every skill there is covered.

Honestly, the farmers around there don't have big families and most have moved away. They're getting on in years and the only thing keeping them going is modern machinery, take it back to the old ways and they can't use most of their land... hell they can't take of themselves. So they need help and the land is needed, necessity will breed a cooperative situation where everyone will benefit. A few square miles of very productive farm land is more than enough to support 300 or so people.

And I know a few people they don't, including a herd of horses and a bunch of land not far away... and horse power would be a long term solution to farming and transport.

In that group, I'm not the best shot (that would be the uncle who taught the SEALs to shoot); I'm not the best farmer or grower. Heck in most areas there is probably someone better at a given skill than I am... but I'm the one that is thinking ahead, is the most prepared and most well rounded for the potentially crappy times ahead - I'm the idea man. Neither my friend nor his uncle know everything, but as little as his uncle knows his time in the military tells him when the crap hits the fan he wants me around. And I really don't talk much :)
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:43:23 AM »

Heck in most areas there is probably someone better at a given skill than I am... but I'm the one that is thinking ahead, is the most prepared and most well rounded for the potentially crappy times ahead - I'm the idea man. Neither my friend nor his uncle know everything, but as little as his uncle knows his time in the military tells him when the crap hits the fan he wants me around. And I really don't talk much :)

Now I think I know who a mutual friend based a character from his book on. :)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »

LOL. Ya never know. I may have to pick that book up one of these days. So many books, so little time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up