Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sourdough Bread  (Read 1992 times)

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Sourdough Bread
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

I've tried many different types of sourdough (there's some kefir sourdough recipes on here somewhere) and this is one I have been meaning to try forever.  What makes this one special to me is where it originates.  This is from a baker at Boudin Bakery in San Francisco.  We used to drive over there once a year just to get bread (well, that and walk around Fisherman's Wharf breathing in pure seafood goodness).  Their sourdough bread is the best.  It's just sour enough without being overpowering and the crust is never hard, just crispy.  So, here are the links, then I'll type up my notes:

For Starter: https://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/bread/recipe-sourdough.html

And Bread: https://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/bread/recipe-berkeley.html

So, I started this process Saturday, hoping to be able to bake bread on Thursday.  I managed it but I'll let you know where I went wrong.

The starter is much more involved than others.  It's more of a dough than a liquid slop in a jar.  After the first fermenting, I was able to just peel away the hard bits (with the help of a spoon to scrape off the soft bits) and I used about 3/4 of a cup of flour for the first step.  You want it like dough ... not wet.  The rest of the starter process went smoothly.

As for the bread itself, the last rising (it's not specified) NEEDS to be refrigerated (or maybe just supported, in some kind of container to allow the dough to retain its shape).  I left it out, to rise on a pizza pan and ended up with a round loaf that was about 2 inches high and 12 inches in diameter (and yank apart rolls that were a little taller).  Despite that, the crust was crispy without wanting to break a tooth and the sour flavor actually got better as the bread sat.  The texture of the bread is chewy (not gummy) and I'm thrilled that I have so much starter in the fridge to do this again!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Sourdough Bread
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:55:12 PM »

Cool. I like sourdough bread, I prefer other types but not having to worry about having yeast each batch is a good thing.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Re: Sourdough Bread
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »

Yeah, that's why I wanted to get this down ... tried others and this one so far has the best flavor but takes so long.  This last batch I did one large loaf in a 9 inch deep dish pie pan and it turned out great! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up