Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIRTBAG BUILDING  (Read 2853 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
DIRTBAG BUILDING
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:19:42 PM »

I went to the local library today and downloaded some video of dirtbag building. Looks pretty interesting to me and I think it has some merit. I was surprised of the simple design and the few tools required to build one of these structures. The wife and I have been talking about the need to build a root cellar and I think this would work and better fit with our budget. If you get a chance take a look at this and see if it could work for you.

Gungnir

• View Profile
Re: DIRTBAG BUILDING
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:52:05 PM »

When I was a kid we lived in a flood prone area of the red river valley so after spring we had unlimited amouts of sandbags and often made forts that were bigger and nicer then the trailer we grew up in lol

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »

I watched a video on Youtube, and it seems pretty straight forward and simple. You can always carry a couple of boxes of bags in your BOV.

The main problem I see with it is that the bags will deteriorate with exposure to the sun (UV). But, this is a fairly simple problem to solve. Once the building is up some adobe or mud on the outside will keep the UV off the bags, it will also seal any gaps and make the building even more draft proof.

Honestly, how much simpler can it be? fill bags with dirt and stack making sure that the next layer overlaps the joints between the one below? And tamping the layer down before putting on the next layer? Two feet or so of dirt is a decent amount of insulation between you and the elements.

And tools? A couple of shovels, maybe a pick axe, and a soil tamper are your tools. A stand to keep the bag up as you fill it would be nice, but you can build one when you get to where you're going to build.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »

log cabins are also easy, i have nuilt more then my fair shair. I just find a good area where i can use trees as corner supports, stack logs and run the chainsaw inbetween the logs so they rest on eachother plat and nice and add a flat roof. we used to make em on the trap line and could do one in half a day with two of us.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »

I've never built a log cabin but I've looked at them enough to figure out that it isn't rocket science :) I'd love to build one just for something to do some time.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »

There is a good site called Canadian Dirtbags. Should be right up Canucks alley. Lots of pictures and real good info.

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »

actually canuk is the murican, he was canadian but he had this girlfriend here and it turned out she was a liberal. see here in canada we all know eachother and and rather then live with shame of everyone knowing he was dateing a liberal he upped and left for murica for a fresh start. I prefer these over dirtbags http://www.yurtzbydesign.com/ (also a canadian compony

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 09:07:49 PM »

LOL. Some people would say "dirtbag" as too mild a name for me ;)

I had one crazy psycho girlfriend in Canada, one sort of girlfriend, one "not a girlfriend" and my ex was from the US. There were a few women in there too but not for very long :D Yeah, it was the fact that I was considered slightly right of Attila the Hun and caught caught with the pinko girlfriend LOL

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »

LOL. Some people would say "dirtbag" as too mild a name for me ;)

I had one crazy psycho girlfriend in Canada, one sort of girlfriend, one "not a girlfriend" and my ex was from the US. There were a few women in there too but not for very long :D Yeah, it was the fact that I was considered slightly right of Attila the Hun and caught caught with the pinko girlfriend LOL

sounds like you laid more pipe then bill cosby :p

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 09:15:10 PM »

LOL, prolly not :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up