Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Shop  (Read 6133 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
The Shop
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »

The last few weekends have been fairly warm and I've been able to get some time in working or arranging the shop.

I got some shelves built under and over the long work bench. I also mounted my two vices, got two fluorescent fixtures mounted under the top shelf over the work bench. I was able to put tools away, which was nice since it cleared up some bench space. The other bench got my small drill press mounted (and the smaller vice), the small drill press uses a regular corded drill... for $10 it will work for the small stuff I want. I still need to get a bench mounted drill press for smaller jobs since I have the big floor drill press (electrified post drill). Although my friend said he might sell me his floor mount drill press since I've used it more than he has.

I was going to rewire the light switch since it is flaky, but looking at it and the way it is wired I'm going to wait until I redo all the wiring, lets just say it's kind of funky.

Right now there is a boat taking up one of the three car bays, once it's out in the spring it isn't going back in. I;ve been thinking that since all three of the doors should really be replaced (all are 9w x 7h) that'd replace one with the same size door and the other two would become one door maybe 12 feet wide. But I'm going to have to check on the price of a 12 wide door. It may not be worth the hassle though.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Re: The Shop
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:52:32 PM »

I think you have been busy. I know there are a bunch of things I need to get done in the shop but I am going to wait for warmer weather. Need to repair the wood burner sitting in there and get it moved into the greenhouse and start filling it with plants.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »

I try to do a few things when the weather isn't too cold. Having the wood stove in there helps, as does the kerosene heaters and the portable propane heater.

The shop needs to be rewired for one thing, and to do that properly I really need to trench in a new feed line ... that will have to wait for warmer weather for sure.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:47:41 PM »

Sorry I haven't been online much lately as the weather was warm and was busy with the greenhouses and such. The weather has taken a turn colder tonight and for the next few days so I am back at running the wood burners again which isn't so bad but I do know it will come to an end soon. Was working in the shop today and what a mess. I guess I need to clean it up .

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:32:17 PM »

I added some 4x8 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood in the rafters to make storage space and put a good chunk of the miscellaneous stuff that is in boxes up there. It was on sale so I bought 4 sheets and have about 1/4 taken up, so lots more storage space yet.

I added a 10 inch Craftsman compound miter saw with laser I picked up on craigslist, and a benchtop drill press that was on sale and I threw a $23 rebate check at it too which brought the price down to about half retail. So the tools are slowly coming together.

A little stereo with a 5 cd changer and a tape player adds better tunes in the shop, nice for $20 at the thrift store. Although it doesn't quite have the power I want so I'll keep my eye open for an amp and some better speakers.

I spent most of last weekend in the shop working on the Suburban - pitman arm, idler arm and bracket, inner and outer tie rods and front brake pads and rotor. I contemplated replacing the steering gear box since I had it off, but just ended up putting it back on. Turns out it has a bit of play my mechanic found when he did the front alignment. Had to buy a new torque wrench, 34mm socket and 18mm combination wrench to finish the job, so there were more tools along with the pitman arm puller and fork.

The 200,000 BTU propane heater got the temp up to 60 - 65 F range in a few minutes and the wood stove kept it there, aside from Monday when the wind was out of the wrong direction and smoked me out. I need two more sections of chimney pipe to keep that from happening in the future.

Soon the boat will be out and I can insulate and sheet rock the north wall, then move the wood storage along the north wall and gain a lot more space... and still have a bay to pull vehicles in.

And I have to check in with an old neighbor to see if he still has the precision metal lathe :)

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »

I spent most of last weekend in the shop working on the Suburban - pitman arm, idler arm and bracket, inner and outer tie rods and front brake pads and rotor. I contemplated replacing the steering gear box since I had it off, but just ended up putting it back on. Turns out it has a bit of play my mechanic found when he did the front alignment. Had to buy a new torque wrench, 34mm socket and 18mm combination wrench to finish the job, so there were more tools along with the pitman arm puller and fork.

And I have to check in with an old neighbor to see if he still has the precision metal lathe :)

First paragragh ... congratulating myself because I understood every word (as in, knew which parts you were referring to) :)  Second ... OH!  Metal Lathe!  One of those would actually make me finally get a tool shed to throw most of my stuff in so it could be in our tiny one-car garage.  Hubby comes home and I'm out there petting it and talking to it like it's my dog.  lol

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:40:51 PM »

LOL.

The lathe has a two foot throw so it can make quite a few things if I was of the mind to do it. Still have to talk to the old neighbor.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »

LOL.

The lathe has a two foot throw so it can make quite a few things if I was of the mind to do it. Still have to talk to the old neighbor.
HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  lol

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 10:24:15 PM »

LOL, I'll get around to it.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 11:44:07 PM »

The boat comes out Friday or Saturday. Yay.

I popped into Menard's and picked up some insulation for the shop. Once the boat is out I'll head over to Lowes or Home Depot for sheet rock, I won't buy sheet rock at Menards, it's old and dry and just plain sucks.

I'm going to insulate the north wall, the north stall is currently taken up by the boat, and 4 to 8 feet of the east wall (back of the shop). That will be after I remove all the 2x4s stacked between the studs. Once that is done I'll move all the lumber off the storage rack I built and move the rack against the north wall. Then I'll put all the lumber back on the rack. I'll have to move some things around after, but I'll end up with one open bay to use when working on vehicles and one open bay plus the extra for shop power tools... or both bays plus the extra for big projects. The north bay will be wood storage as well as lockers/cupboards. The door on the north bay will be locked, and may be partially blocked... we'll see how it all goes together.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 11:04:34 PM »

I picked up sheet rock today, 10 sheets of 4ft by 8ft so I have a bit extra. I moved wood that was between the studs, about 20 feet worth of 2x4s, 4x4s, 2x6s  (stacked narrow out) and some others. A lot of wood, some decent, some good and some that will be OK for outside use I don't care much about. Moving the lumber took a while, about 2 hours. I have everything ready to start insulating tomorrow, I'll have to move a couple of things out of the bay but that will only take a few minutes since I moved the majority of things this afternoon.

We've got rain in the forecast from tomorrow night through Tuesday so I may have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to start moving the wood around once I have the insulation and sheet rock up. There's a lot of wood that will have to removed from the rack, stacked outside until move the rack, then moved back onto the rack. Plus I have nearly the same amount of wood that I removed from between the studs today. It's all good for projects where I don't need pretty wood - chicken coop frames, small storage shed frames for propane tanks, etc. Some of it is iffy, but if nothing else it will heat my shop in winter.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 11:04:49 PM »

Got all but 19 inches near the roll up door insulated and sheet rocked, I'll have to cut 4 inches off of the insulation and cut a piece of drywall, but it can wait for a bit. I still have 2 of the 6 rolls of insulation left along with 2 sheets or drywall and enough for near the door left from a third sheet. I moved all the wood off the rack and moved the rack, then moved it all back onto the rack. It was quite a bit of work but well worth it, and I beat the rain which should have been here already. You can smell the rain outside so it is just a matter of time before it gets here tonight. The wood rack was a real pain to move. I'm probably going to hurt tomorrow, I hurt now LOL.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 11:25:43 PM »

Got some organizing done today. Not as much as I had planned since we ended up at an auction.

I bought a stereo system, it was within the price I was willing to pay for an amplifier and good speakers ($30). I don't need the tuner/cassette deck or the turntable so those will probably get put up for sale. if I can get $30 for the two then I'll be very happy. The speakers are nice and loud :) I like the tuner I picked up the other week, so that is hooked up. I had to do some minor wire connecting on one of the speakers but nothing major. The bookshelf system I picked up with dual cassette and 5 cd changer will get plugged into the pre-amp so I'll have options in the garage. The amp has two speaker systems or channels so I could install outdoor speakers and be able to switch between them, honestly the speakers are loud enough that if I open the doors on the shop you can hear it across the property clearly.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »

Still have to talk to the old neighbor.
HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  lol

~cough~

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 10:06:48 PM »

LOL. Talked with the old neighbor, the lathe is waiting for me... just have to pay him for it.

I did pick up a couple of circular saws (old Black & Decker and a Skil) plus an old B&D 1/2 drill, and a steel desk to add to the shop. The Skil saw and the desk were finds during Clean Up week, the B&D saw and drill cost me $10.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up