Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY outer wear part-2  (Read 1281 times)

LoneWolf

• Blogger
    • View Profile
DIY outer wear part-2
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

Here is 1 pdf  for the DIY people out here and you could make them out of fleece...
you can go and check out General Clothing in smock and hat they are some mittens and 2 hats
patterns that can by make of wool or fleece
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:07:14 PM by LoneWolf »

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: DIY outer wear part-2
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:48 PM »

Nice. I've been thinking of making a wool coat from an old army blanket. I've been thinking of Polish army blankets since they are fairly cheap and a good quality wool. I have Italian ones that weigh about 5 pounds each but they don't have much loft so while tough as nails they have less insulation than the Polish ones that have more loft to them.

I made a cloak out of two wool army blankets back when I did medieval recreation and it's very warm, but a parka would be nice since it would have a zipper and not be as large. The cloak is easier to make though since it's only a half circle measured from the nape of neck to your ankles or however long you want it, plus there is only the one seam down the back and the hem ... plus any hood you attach.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Spence

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:09:35 PM »

I don't know if the troops still do it, but in the army back in 63 the local tailors would make a decent coat for a soldier if he supplied him with the material of a ponch outer, and blanket inner. Didn't cost much either. It surprised me that the brass didn't seem to mind the non reg attir either. Probably because where they were used most was in the woods on maneuvers.

But it occured to me that in the worst survivalist condition in the coldest winter, the old inside out Inuit carribou two piece suit would be best. I heard the Inuit wore nothing else under them either. You'd a thought the Franklin expedition would have learned from them. They look like hell with the skin turned outward.

Maybe one day I'll plop a carcas on the living floor and get my wife to work the hide and sew one togeather.

Looks like I'm gonna be freezing.  :D

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »

Yeah, a caribou set up like would be nice. Not everyone has one around though.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up