Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boots (Combat and other)  (Read 1954 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Boots (Combat and other)
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:42:09 PM »

I've always liked a good pair of combat boots. I wore the crap out of my Canadian combat boots, circa 1990s. When they needed replacing I bought a pair of Danner Ft Lewis 10 inch boots, paid about $300 for them and they were worth every penny. Since then I've kept my eye out for good combat boots when I'm at the thrift store, I like the $10 pairs of barely used boots I can find. The last few months I've been able to find a good pair of black Belleville 700 8 inch combat boots for $10, an old pair of greenish Herman Survivors with what looks like a new Vibram Kletterlift sole for $30 (US made not the cheap China made ones you find these days), and pair of tan Belleville 790 8 inch combat boots for about $10. The tan Bellevilles cannot have the soles replaced but the others can.

All my boots get cleaned and polished then a coating of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP is applied. The Obenauf's will help keep the boots in good shape for many years to come.
The Danner's are my favorite, I can wear them all day right out of the box and my feet are not sore. I think they may actually be more comofrtable than my running shoes. For work I have a pair of Red Wings that my friend's widow gave me. I like the steel toe and mettatarcil guard. All of the boots are wides. The Danners are EE and they fit well even though I wear a EEEE in shoes, and that is with a thick pair of merino wool socks.

With these boots I should be set for a lifetime, but any other boots I come across that fit will find their way into my gear stash. Any new ones will be vac sealed after they have been cleaned and treated. Having at least two pairs of good boots is a requirement in my eyes. The combat boots are all Gore Tex lined, the Hermans and the work boots are not. The Hermans are actually a size bigger so I can double up on wool socks in colder weather.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
Re: Boots (Combat and other)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »

I despise the old issue combat boots. Being an old punk rocker I wore them pretty much 24/7.  I did prefer them over doc martins though. Now I grab hunting boots, after all there made for long hikes in all terrain and weather. I also had a pair of 5.11s that I fell in love with.

Edit: for got to add, good choice on the danners! usually cant go wrong with a pair og them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:52:59 PM by Gungnir »

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »

I wore the old Canadian combat boots every day for years. Hard soles, but I did like the cut between the lace holes to make crouching easier. The Bates boots I bought have the same cut. Yeah, I remember punk, still listen too it. Combat boots and roling your jeans up so they didn't cover the boots. I wasn't a "real" punk since I didn't shave my head, but whatever. I really wasn't anything other than me :)

I still love combat boots, especiallty when they are nice and comfortable. I swear my Danner's are more comfortable than any of my running shoes.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »

i had a mohawk and leather patchwork pants. lol. Danners are uber comfy, fantastic ifin you got the coin.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »

Danners are worth every penny you pay for them. Like many things, I saved up for them until I had enough.

Pages: [1]   Go Up