Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to snare a jeep.  (Read 1694 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
How to snare a jeep.
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:52:35 PM »

:o LOL this should be right up Gungners alley. We have been having trouble with some of the locals driving through an area of timber that we own. Yes it is posted and yes the gate is locked. The jerks have been cutting a section of fence near the road and have been running through and generally tearing the hell out of things and scaring off the deer we planed to hunt this winter.
We found even after driving in some extra posts and putting up more no trespassing signs it still didn't stop them. But we found a way to really mess things up. I took a old coil of what we call goucho high tension barbed wire and made a flat roll with about 100 feet of it looped rather large and lay it on the ground inside this loop I placed a 20 foot coil of 1/4 inch steel aircraft cable and fixed on the end a snag of hooks of #9 wire this was raised about 1 1/2 foot off the ground and painted brown and green and a couple of well placed branches and some dead grass covering it to make it look natural. Oh I about forgot to tell about the 50 lbs tractor weight I tied off on the very end of it under the roll of wire.
  Needless to say I caught a real nice cj7 and it totally destroyed the rear drive shaft, cracked the transfer case and the wheel weight put a damn big dent in the bottom of the floor pan. Needless to say they  had to walk out and get picked up by some friends and get tools to get it loose and pull the dead jeep out towards  the road where we were waiting with the local sheriff for them. They were a bit upset by the damage to their jeep due to running over the iron pile in the woods and the $500 fine for trespassing on private land. Not to mention the extra $200 they had to pay for fixing my damn fence again. Moral of the story if it's posted to keep out you had better pay attention and if not you need to be better prepared to extract yourself from a bad situation. No we don't have anymore trouble with the fence being cut or the land being damaged. And the deer have started to return back to the area.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: How to snare a jeep.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:53:55 PM »

I like it :)

I've known people who had similar problems. The solutions are always interesting, and the people who had their vehicle damaged sure hated the outcome and the bill they got.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 08:30:52 AM »

I think there is a lesson to be learned here by all of us. If you are going to be in a car or truck weather your on or off the road you need to be prepared. You need to have more than the spare tire and a set of jumper cables because if it can happen it will happen. I realize you can only carry so much but there are a lot of  things you can fix on your own to get you to the next stop. Be wise and pack extra tools and parts.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:02:32 PM »

I agree completely. I have a second set of tires for the Suburban and the F250 plus the spare. They may not be the best tires, but they will work if I have multiple flats. I keep a pretty good tool set in the Suburban and it only takes up a 20 x 9 x 13 inch tool box, granted it weighs about 60 pounds minus hammers, but it will cover me for most fixes.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »

Would of been cheaper, cleaner, and easier just to dig some tank traps. Then your only gonna get the heavily modified guys that can even make it on (and I mean heavily modified, 35"+ bigger tires, 12" of spring lift, Dana 60 diffs , etc), and when a guy spends that much he's not gonna risk private property. He's also probably more respectable of damaging land and wild life. One of the first off roading rules you learn is no mudding unless absolutely nesesary or at designated mud pits. Spinning your tires not only makes a mess but damages jeeps. I generally always get property owners permission before venturing onto there land, though a few times it was not possible since the way back was out of the question.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »

You have to remember there are plenty of morons out there that don't think they have to ask permission to trespass. I really burns my ass that those kind of people think they can just tear up another's land. I wish I could dug some tank traps but I really like the low profile approach. I do have to laugh as they must have finally got the message that I wasn't posting the ground and had a locked gate for a reason.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »

You have to remember there are plenty of morons out there that don't think they have to ask permission to trespass. I really burns my ass that those kind of people think they can just tear up another's land. I wish I could dug some tank traps but I really like the low profile approach. I do have to laugh as they must have finally got the message that I wasn't posting the ground and had a locked gate for a reason.

I'm so glad you snared them! We couldn't do the tank trap unless it looked like we did it for drainage or something. If it looks intentional, we'd get sued.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »

An update to this story. I have a friend who had the same problem with fools who can't read and cut locks off of gates late this winter. He had me make him a snare and lo and behold he caught a 89 ford bronco. The damn thing was pretty much destroyed. The rear drive shaft came through the rear floor and out the tailgate and then hooked itself to the tailgate and pulled it back in an wedged crossways in the floor. The tractor weight took out the oil pan on the motor and tranny and wedged itself between the tranny tail shaft and the transfer case. The damn fool then tried to see if he could drive off using just the front drive shaft and axle. Too bad he didn't check things closer as he fried the motor due to lack of oil and over reving it because the tranny was slipping.

Guess you need to watch out for those old iron piles out in the woods. The funny thing is he didn't know who owned the land and asked the farmer after walking 1/2 mile to his place to pull him out. The guy was laughing so hard his wife thought he was going to have a stroke. Guess old Forest Gump was right Stupid is as stupid does.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »

Too bad about your truck, guess you shouldn't be trespassing. Moron.

Pages: [1]   Go Up