Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to cast bullets  (Read 810 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Time to cast bullets
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »

Since the weather has started to cool down I am looking forward to casting bullets again. I am lucky as with our business we come into a lot of scrape lead. Yes I could sell it but I don't. I would say that I have about 10 five gallon buckets to melt down into 1 & 3 pound ingots. I would venture a guess that it should yield about 30 to 40 pounds per bucket. Once I get it into ingots I'll have more on bullet casting but for now we are going to talk about working the product down from scrap to ingots.
    The equipment I use is simple and safe. I have a stainless steel trough that I built that is around 6 inches wide by 24 inches long and 4 inches deep. This works well with the propane burner I use as it gets a nice even heat the whole length of the trough. I either set up outside or in front of a 24 inch fan to put the fumes away from the area I am in. Lead fumes are nasty so don't breathe them. Also keep any kind of liquid away from the lead your melting down as it can cause the lead to explode and splatter all over and hot lead is  that HOT. I wear a heavy pair of welders gloves and safety glasses plus long pants and heavy leather work boots. Safety first or you can regret having an accident. Make sure there are no papers or wood around as you don't need to start a fire either.
    I fire up the burner and get it adjusted to where I want it on the trough. This is done by sitting it on several fire bricks laying flat and a number of them standing upright around the trough to keep as much heat as possible under it. You start by placing some scrap lead in the trough and as it melts down slowly adding more until you are about 1/2 inch from the top. At this time you slowly stir the lead and skim the slag or waste from the top. You will find a lot of dirt and crap floating on the top and yes it is hot too! I deposit it in a large metal coffee can and once cool I dispose of the waste as it is toxic and must be properly handled. As I have a number of ingot molds I rarely turn the heat down because the ladle I use hold about 5 pounds and I can fill the molds quickly and then start over again. Once your ingot molds have cooled you just turn them over and they will drop out and are ready to fill again. I have acquired enough molds over the years that I will run a whole batch or trough full and then add more scrape to it. While I am waiting for it to melt I empty the ingot molds on the concrete floor and set them back on my metal table for the next batch.
    When I get ready I will explain how to cast lead bullets.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Time to cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »

Awesome stuff :)
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 06:57:49 PM »

I was glad that when I got done with this batch I found several more buckets of scrap lead so I still am not done yet. Will have well over 500 pounds when I am done. It's a good thing that I have all those extra molds. I cast mostly 1 pound ingots but also did some 3 pounders too. I have 2 Lee bullet casting furnaces so when I get time I have several buddies who want to learn the art of  bullet casting. I would guess we could pull an all nighter and give them a real lesson on mass casting. I have mostly 6 cavity molds so we can really fill a lot of  3 pound coffee cans and  the sort them when we get time so we can size them.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »

Very cool. I need to get into reloading at some point. But I have to get some other projects done first.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up