Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical maitnence  (Read 1426 times)

Gungnir

• View Profile
Electrical maitnence
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »

Just a reminder to make yourself familiar with your vehicles electrical and a few hours of care once a year can save you a huge headache! Its very simple, check all fuses and relays, clean and grease all connections, and check for oil soaked or damaged wires and clean/repair them. With some electrical harnesses running around the $1000 mark which is often more then what people pay for a base bugout vehicle this should be a no brained.
What brought this on you ask? Well my jeep was stuck 50km away from me for a week because I didn't do this, and now instead of learning the electrical system slowly I have to become a master of it pretty fast lol. Thankfully my 1990 2.5l TBI jeep Yj has limited wireing where its not uncommon for newer vehicles to have a wireing harness as fat as your leg! Lol

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Electrical maitnence
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »

The more complex vehicles get the more important it is to understand the wiring.

A friend had a Dodge van that wouldn't start. After checking everything it ended up being strange electric issue, if the back up light circuit wasn't complete (bad bulb, bad socket/pigtail, cut in wire) the van wouldn't start. The wiring went all over the place from the front to the back, he ended up rewiring it so it made sense.

I had an old Volvo that had mechanical solenoids. It was great because solenoids didn't normally go out, they'd get flaky though. Taking them apart then cleaning and greasing them usually fixed the problem. It also had 6 fuses, I added a couple for some accessory lights.

Some vehicles won't work without the park-neutral switch. Usually found on the transmission, if it goes out your vehicle may start but it may not shift gears so you aren't going anywhere.

It's always a good idea to hit the Net and check out some of the electrical (and other) issues your vehicle is known for. Knowing what could happen means you can be prepared.

Most electrical issues are going to be battery and light related. After that comes the alternator, voltage regulator, and the ground wire from the alternator, and the starter.

Greasing bulbs with "bulb grease" or dielectric grease is a good idea. It also works on any electrical connection, be it a connector you put in when splicing in lights or harness connections. You can pay $0.99 for the little packet by the counter, about 0.001 oz / couple of ml or you can pay about $8 for 4 to 8 oz in a spray can. I have a couple of the packets in the tool box in the truck and a can in the garage.

PS. I HATE electrical issues. I've dealt with a few of them on various vehicles. From having to put a kill switch in for my wipers to completely rewiring the back end of that car, and several others. Mechanics will charge you a fortune when you can do a lot of it yourself... it's just time and a couple of cheap tools.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:15:33 PM by Canuck In Denver »
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:13:20 PM »

I have a solution. Mercedes 3.0 turbo diesel :D lol, no computer, same hp as the amc 4.0 i6 and more torque.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »

The old Mercedes 300D series was good. Parts are getting hard to find I hear.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 10:33:08 PM »

I found 6 motors for sale in the past week. The most expensive was $1200 for 2 motors. The catch was one was still in the car and you had to take the whole car. Sucks since steel is at $20/ton for scrap right now so its actually gonna cost me money to sell it to the scrappwr

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:13:31 PM »

Yeah, steel is very low :(

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:40:18 PM »

AND what were we just talking about? lol

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »

Yes I was wondering why isn't the heater blower working?????? Well I pulled the cover off of the blower motor and did find a big ass mouse nest in the blower wheel. Checking the hot wire to it I found that there was no power. Oh great that damn mouse has eaten a bunch of wires. I traced the wire back and found that I did have a bad wire but the mouse wasn't to blame. Spliced in a new connector and removed the mouse house from the blower wheel hit the switch and it worked just fine. A guy has to have heat in his wood hauling truck because it is 30 miles to the saw mill and I don't dig being cold. This old girl isn't the tightest in the world and  there is a good breeze blowing in around the weather strips in the windows the way it is. One thing about an old 85 E-350 cube van is they are really pretty simple to work on and this old girl can pull a house if you can get traction. Yes checking the wiring is important and saves one lots of money by not taking it to the shop.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 10:25:38 PM »

Glad it worked out for you. I've used sticky back foam insulation when needed to seal gaps, it ain't pretty but it does work and it's cheap.

I hate auto electrical. Baptism by fire is how I learned about it ... took a car to my mechanic and he chased me out of his shop and said "You can do it. If not I'll do it but it will cost a lot more." He was right, I did do it. He was a great mechanic. I've been lucky that way, I still take things to whichever mechanic I'm using but they will always answer questions and bail me out when I need it. I'm cheap and prefer to do things myself when I have the time and ability... most things are just time and some research.

Pages: [1]   Go Up