Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: was off line for a while  (Read 669 times)

Darren

• View Profile
was off line for a while
« on: December 15, 2015, 04:05:41 PM »

Hey guys I have been offline for a while now basically because I was laid off. We have not quit prepping and actually increased for a while after the lay off.
Basically it happened in the spring half the office was walked out the door. The oil patch here in Alberta currently is a disaster for a lot of folks. The company I was with when I started (4 years ago) to today the shares have gone from 10.50 to 0.46
I will admit I was depressed for about two months and really couldn't figure out why. I have had several different jobs in my life and leaving never bothered me at all. What I finally realized was this was the first time in my life (at 54) I have ever been let go from a company.
My review the week before was outstanding. The manager had no idea what was coming down as all decisions came from head office with no local input.
Once I finally got over that I just let a few things slide and stayed off the web sites I was on.
Although I was never a big contributor I did learn a lot here and a few other sites and am grateful I did.
Anyway enough whining what got me interested today was the talk of a tablet and I have one on my list much for the same reasons stated here. A back up to my paper library. So if anyone wants to share what is REQUIRED to make an inexpensive tablet worth while I am all ears.

Feels good to be back,

Darren :D

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Re: was off line for a while
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:03:25 AM »

Hey Darren. Welcome back and sorry about the job. Here we have a president that is a know it all and he is going to save the world by shutting down the Canadian pipeline. As usual he's wrong again. Yes the job situation would depress anyone but the one thing about it is you still have your freedom and faith. Those are things that no one can take from you.

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »

Don't forget family very important! As to the XL pipeline I never did understand this. Instead of the so called "dirty" oil from a friend and neighbour better to buy the oil that was paid for with blood and money of US troops from some rather "shady" middle eastern countries that secretly supply ISIS with arms and cash.
Well past my pay scale to figure this out (no university) only my common sense to guide me.
I do have a few opportunities that I hope will pan out soon. Seems we get a bit ahead then get kicked in the teeth. Oh well gotta get up and dust off and carry on.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:42:07 PM »

Hey Darren! Great to have you back.

Yeah getting laid off can suck, even when you know it was due to some bean counter at HQ you still wonder if there was some way you could have done something different to been one of the people who stayed.

As for the tablet, head over to the topic and I'll discuss why I chose the Amazon Fire over anything else :)
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up