Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medical Kits and books beyond your skill level  (Read 808 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Medical Kits and books beyond your skill level
« on: December 27, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »

As preppers most of us have some medical training, basic first aid at least. We also have medical kits equal to our skill level if not a bit above.

On advanced medical kits books that are beyond our skill level there seems to be two schools of thought - 1) that you shouldn't have medical kits or books beyond your skill level and 2) that any medical equipment and reference books you can get your hands on should be added to your supplies.

I'm of the second school of thought. I find books on advanced medical topics, like surgery, at the local thrift stores every once in a while. I also find good deals on Amazon on used medical texts. I tend to pick these up since they are cheap and I like having as broad a reference library as possible. The way I see it, for something like an appendix that is considered a simple procedure that most people can be taught to do, if I'm faced with the choice of watching someone die or giving them a chance to live by removing their appendix I'd give it a try. Along with that goes the thought that if the world as we know it ended I might come across a doctor / med student / veterinarian who could use that medical gear or those medical reference books because he or she wasn't familiar with a particular operation or procedure.

For me a chance no matter how small is worth taking when the other option is certain death. And if I can help that chance by having equipment and reference material then that is what I will do.

What are your thoughts?
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Medical Kits and books beyond your skill level
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »

I picked up "Surgical Anatomy and Technique A Pocket Manual" 3rd edition from Amazon for under $10, got to love used books. I did check the section on taking out an appendix and it seemed fairly straight forward.

I was talking with a couple of my friends at work and they agree that they'd rather have someone with a book taking our their appendix and have a chance of survival than the 100% certainty of dying by not having it done. If you have nothing to lose you might as well try something. We were talking in the context of if the world went to hell or some other survival situation and there was going to be no hospital or surgeon to do the operation.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Re: Medical Kits and books beyond your skill level
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »

I'm of the mindset that if you don't know it now, you could learn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up