Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out in the Greenhouse  (Read 1886 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Out in the Greenhouse
« on: February 19, 2016, 06:55:35 PM »

Since it was a real nice day today I didn't spend quite as much time in the greenhouse as I would have liked. I got a package of heirloom squash seed from a buddy of mine in the mail today. There are about 400 to 500 seeds so we are going to have one big crop of squash. Since it is a bit early for them I will put them aside for now. I have kale that is just about ready to bump up into bigger pots. It looks real good and I do love fresh kale salads and it is great in soup too. Since I planted the peppers extra early this year this has seemed to work out as they have germinated well and will be ready to pot up earlier. The cabbage and such is also looking good and I am about ready to start the 2nd batch for retail sales this spring. I have about 100 tomatoes that are 6 inches tall and they will get bumped up into bigger pots this next week. The next couple of weeks will see me move all or the seedlings out into the greenhouse and refill the germination chamber with more for our retail greenhouse sales. My main supply order came in this week so the wife had to run into town and meet the truck to save them from coming out here on the bad roads. It was snow all over the place and where you can drive it is rutted and so muddy they would get stuck. Was kinda handy to have her do that as I was at the dentist getting a crown put in. Only took about a half hour to unload it and get it put away.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Out in the Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:08:14 PM »

Sounds like a good start :)

A greenhouse is on the long list of things to get to when money allows. I keep my eyes out for materials to build my own though.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »

It wasn't too bad out today the high was around 40 so I moved a bunch of the seedlings from the germination chamber out into the greenhouse. This did free up some room as I spent the rest of the morning sowing more seeds. I will be opening the second greenhouse sometime this week the way it looks. I am fast running short of room to even walk in the greenhouse right now. I did set up the wood rack in the second greenhouse today and 1/2 filled it with wood. Will need to make a run later this week to the sawmill to get a load. With the weather being warmer the wood usage has gone down. Not a BAD DEAL EITHER AS IT FREES UP A LOT OF TIME TO DO OTHER THINGS.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »

Man it was a great day out highs in the 50's and sunny. Worked in the greenhouse all afternoon and got a lot done. I have been moving plants from the small greenhouse into the hoop house which is 22x24 and gives me some extra room at least for the next week or so. Did a bunch of transplanting yesterday and when the weather finally breaks most of the stuff I transplanted this week and in the following week will go out into the cold frames to harden off. I moved about 60 hanging baskets of geraniums today and will start a heavy fertilizer program on them this coming week to boost them along. The cabbage, broccoli and such will get transplanted next week along with lettuce. I have some nice looking tomatoes that I will bump up into larger pots and use for hot house tomatoes for early farmers market this year. If all goes right they should be on the market 3 weeks or more before anyone else has them ready for sale. I will do the same with some peppers too for early sales but they will go out into the shade house.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »

Sounds like you're going well :)

I didn't have much luck with peppers last year. I'm thinking I'll make mini greenhouses with PVC and 4 mil plastic once I get the raised beds in.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »

That sounds like a plan to me. Just remember peppers like to be warm and covering them with plastic will warm the soil as well as the ground.

Yesterday was a great day here with highs in the low 60's but very windy. Was going to prune in the orchard but that didn't happen with the wind. Did get a coat of linseed oil on the raised bed planter frame and hope to get the metal on it in the next day or so. Spent a lot of the afternoon seeding my tomatoes and peppers. The second greenhouse is filling way too fast. I will have to get the cold frames ready as soon as the weather breaks I will move a bunch of stuff outside. I got about 4 to 500 heirloom squash seeds that I will need to plant but it is still too early for that.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 10:00:27 PM »

Yeah, I figure we're just a little too cool for peppers. I had some small and tasty ones last year but they really didn't have any flesh.

They're predicting snow next week, but this weekend should be in the 60s... kind of warm for our "Guys Winter Weekend" but that's OK :) Sit around the "Hunting Shack" doing some drinking, playing cards and watching zombie movies, and since it will be warmer... sitting around a camp fire.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »

Sounds like a winner to me. Wish I had the time to do that. Have been out in the orchard pruning trees. Lots of fun I can't hardly make a fist with my right hand. Seems like I just pruned them not to long ago but they just keep growing.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »

It was a winner, lots of food and I ended up only drinking a six pack. I better start drinking it before it goes bad LOL.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 08:32:52 AM »

Have been running the wood burners in the greenhouses again as the weather has taken a turn for the cold stuff again. Ran up to the sawmill and got a load of wood yesterday and hopefully that will be the last for the year. Unloaded about 1 1/2 cords and I can tell you I am tired was up most of the night due to the high winds and expected snow. Did get the cold frames covered so that was a good thing. If the weather breaks I need to move stuff outside into them. Haven't been back out in the orchard as it has been too wet and windy. Always seems that I have plenty to do around here. I have a bunch more stuff ready to transplant but I am out of space for now. I think I am really going to have to expand a greenhouse. That means another wood burner and more firewood.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 03:59:10 PM »

Everything around the greenhouse is full with plants. I have been busy transplanting and have used about every spare space that I can. The weather here today is in the mid 40's and rainy so I have been running some heat today as I sure don't want to deal with damp off in my plants. I have tomatoes that are over a foot tall at this time which I will bump up into 7 gallon pots and raise on in the greenhouse for early tomatoes for the farmers markets as well as eating the rejects. I also have the cold frames covered but it is still too cold at night for me to trust things wouldn't freeze without heat. I have cabbage, lettuce, broccoli ready to plant if the weather breaks for my gardens. The potatoes are also ready to be planted then. As soon as we can we will be planting like crazy. Plan on spending some time this week working on the mulch layer too.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 09:54:59 PM »

It looks like we're going to get a polar vortex next week and temps near freezing here.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 07:18:17 AM »

Well spring is about here again. Time to transplant in the greenhouse and get that garden ready. Tomatoes are again around 2 foot tall and the cole crops are in the cold frames  ready for planting into the garden. Has been so busy here but that's nothing new. Got a few new varieties to plant this year. These are some hybrids as well as  open pollinated stuff to save seed from. Last year was a bumper crop on most things and save many pounds of seed to plant again. Gave about 20lbs to a friend as we trade back and forth. This works well as he has access to things that many who plant heirloom seed don't. Some of these aren't the prettiest of veggies but we are looking maximum long term storage stuff. I still have squash that were harvested last fall that we are eating right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up