Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garden Prep  (Read 743 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Garden Prep
« on: March 26, 2016, 08:46:33 AM »

It's that time of the year again. Was out 2 weeks ago and ran the disc over the gardens. This will loosen up the soil for a time to help absorb moisture and work in fertilizer that was applied. We will deep till the garden as soon as the weather breaks. I have a good friend who has a 6' tiller that will go 10" deep. That does a real number on the garden. This year we will be gardening in 3 different locations and should have about 4 acres under production. It's too bad that we are so wide spread as I could use the extra help and would be able to furnish veggies and fruit for at least 10 families for a year.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Garden Prep
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:53:17 PM »

Garden prep is going to be building the raised beds and mixing up the soil mixture for me. I haven't decided if I'm going to use lumber or the cinder blocks in the tree line. I'm leaning towards the cinder blocks even though they are more work.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 08:00:46 AM »

I really don't think there is a wrong way of doing that. Cinder blocks are heavy and if you need can always make it taller or longer and wider. I have used them before and they did just fine.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »

I got the head gasket replaced on my 8n ford tractor and was out in the gardens again today with the disc. Everything seems to be working right and I put a can of flushing cleaner in the radiator to work some of the gunk out of it. I will run it for about 6 hours and drain and flush the radiator and we should be good to go.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »

Cool on the head gasket :)

I have a fixed number of cinder blocks, so they'll start off for carrots and I'll use them where ever I can after that.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »

Well after a long hiatus away from the world of the internet I am back. We have been very busy in the greenhouses as of late getting ready taking cuttings and planting seeds. There have been a few changes in things around here since last year. The economy is in the toilet and finally a few people are understanding there is a lot wrong with the world. So we have been helping out in a number of ways and seem to be making a few beleivers along the way.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »

Damn I hate it when I hit the wrong button. Well anyway we have tomatoes that are 1 foot tall in the greenhouse and will be bumped up into larger pots for early transplanting in the gardens. We have almost all of the flowers and veggie seed planted and will finish up this week. The wife is in Denver area on a bit of a working vacation and we again are making some headway with our efforts. We will open a 2nd greenhouse latter this week to handle the overflow from the winter greenhouse. I have just been very busy and as time allows will be back on site as a regular.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 08:29:18 PM »

That's some great headway.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 02:54:17 PM »

Well the 2nd greenhouse is full and all 3 of the cold frames are full and to be honest I need even more room. The 3rd greenhouse we use for sales and it is cleaned out this week and we are thinking of putting stuff up there for the time being but who knows. This year is going to be crazy for sure. The wife lost her job when the local drug rehab center closed and that sucks. We just figured we would do 4 farmers markets instead of 2. Well then the phone rang and she was offered a full time job. OUCH for me as now I not only will be running the greenhouse but doing 4 farmers markets too.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »

Gonna be busy!

No garden prep for me as of yet this year, then again anything before June and you may get clobbered by frost. Not mention with repairs, the plow truck and saving up for the new to me 99 Super Duty come fall money is tight. Garden preps this year would involve raised beds (money) as well as compost and vermiculite to make the "soil" (money). I already have a bunch of peat moss so should be good there.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

Got all 3 greenhouses full of plants and now the weather has turned colder. Will have a chance of frost a couple of nights this week so I will have to keep a close eye on things. Really don't want to have to fire up the wood burners but I may have to. Guess I will load them up and then all I have to do is light them. Weather here is a crap shoot until May 10th (last frost date).

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »

We got snow and freezing rain over night and it isn't going to break 32F today. More show and freezing rain tonight and then we're out of the cold, hopefully until next winter. There's a reason many people don't plant a garden until June around here.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »

Been kind of wild here in the garden. Since we have been having a lot of rain the last couple of weeks it has been very hard to get stuff planted in the garden. The last couple of days we have been planting and running the greenhouse from about sunup to sundown. last night we did however take a break for church and a mothers day supper. Planting has been the main focus and today we are planting potatoes. Yes I hear a lot of grief from people who say you are suppose to have then in by Good Friday here but that is crap. Those people had frost damage on the ones that were up and the others are having to replant because of the cold and wet weather caused the potatoes to rot in the ground. I would guess the old timers didn't listen to wives tails and planted when they thought it was time due to the fact they had one shot to do it and no chance of do overs by running to the local garden center and buying more seed.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »

No actual garden this year, there is just too much else to do. I did pick up a couple of Logan and a Boysen berry to plant.

I've been looking at fruit trees and berries that will grow here, zone 4a, and there is actually a fair amount to choose from. I'm trying to get at least two fruit trees per year, more if funds allow. I want to add another apple tree or two, maybe a Harlan Red and a green Lodi (or something like that) plus some crap apples of the edible kind. Hopefully I can get those this year to add to the two Macintosh and the Honey Crisp we have.

There are also choke cherry, regular cherry as well as pear, plum and appricot. I've seen a hardy kiwi that I may give a try. Plus there are the two mulberry trees I'm waiting on and should get this year. With more than enough room for 20 trees in just the area I've decided is going to be fruit trees I should have a nice little fruit orchard in a few years.

Pages: [1]   Go Up