Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodbye to a great friend  (Read 621 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Goodbye to a great friend
« on: June 26, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »

7 and a half years ago I was graced with a St Bernard coming into my house. Tonight I'll be going to bed without her. A couple of weeks ago she was jumping around and hurt her rear leg, we figured she pulled a muscle (or something) so we kept an eye on it. It got better and she was using it... at least until she pounced a cat or jumped around outside, then she'd limp for a bit but be fine after a few hours.

Today was really rough, she couldn't seem to get comfortable, she jumped up after rabbits twice last night. She wimpered a few times and was in pain so we took her to the vet, fortunately out vet has emergency hours. They did xrays, and it was their orthopedic surgeon who was on call so we knew we were in good hands. One look at the xrays and we knew it was bone cancer.

It wasn't in a normal area, it was right by the hock or what we'd call a knee. Saint's do not do well with three legs, even if it is one of the rear legs, so there was no real option. We could bring her home and put her on super pain killers, but honestly that wouldn't have been fair to her. We didn't even bring her out of sedation. I sat with her the entire time so she knew she was loved, it really did calm her.

And with that, I'm going to mourn the loss of my friend.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page:
Re: Goodbye to a great friend
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 03:17:38 AM »

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I know how devastating this is for you guys.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:09:38 PM »

Thanks.

They're like kids I guess, members of the family for sure. The house feels different... it feels like something is missing. We still have the cats, so we're not without, but there's definately something missing.

If not for the cancer she probably would have had a good three years to go, the vet was surprised she was 7 and said she didn't look it at all. And that is the problem with poor breeding. So the hunt begins for good breeding, it's more up front but you'll have a much better chance of a longer life and better health.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:27:46 PM »

Yes, they are but I never got the happy response when calling my son bad names in a loving tone of voice. :) I wish you a speedy and fruitful search for the next member of the family.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:13:05 AM »

Looks like the search is over. The girlfriend found a shelter that has an 8 week old Saint female, but we'll have to drive to the middle of Ohio to pick her up the middle of July. We won't be sure of her breeding, but we won't be encouraging a back yard breeder either, plus we'll be rescuing a puppy so that is good. It's a good shelter so we know they have good dogs. I'll end up using a couple of days of PTO and will have a 16 hour drive each way. The good part is I pointed out that since we'll be staying at her friend's who is also a business partner they will end up talking business the entire time we'll be there she can write off all the trip expenses on her taxes.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:27:05 PM »

That is awesome!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:30:28 PM »

Yeah, crossing my fingers :)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »

Well, this past weekend we headed over to Ohio to pick up the new puppy. Molly I mean Mauli, is doing great. She's extremely smart, we were told she wasn't potty trained but she proved that wrong the first time she had to go out... she went to the door, barked and gently scratched at the door. That continued, including in the Explorer on the way home. She was about as perfect a puppy as you'd want on a long road trip. She had a few minutes of tantrum but 10 minutes spread out over 16 hours is minor.

She had some sort of skin infection that she is on meds for. Not that they told us or anything. She is under weight and her rear legs are a bit wobbly due to weakness but her strength is building by the day. We left her free feed or graze, her food bowl is open too her and she eats what she wants when she wants ... a kibble here, two there, a small mouthful or two when she wants but she doesn't gorge herself or eat too much in any way.

So while she has some minor issues we're going to get her in as soon as we can on a walk in appointment and have shots set up for a couple of weeks out. So all in all we are very happy and glad to have her. Momma kitty treats her like an unruly child, her son tries to stay out of her way (his usual for dogs) and our Bengal is warming up to her... we can tell he misses his friend but isn't sure this one is deserving of his friendship but willing to give the puppy a chance. So all will be well in a week or so amount the cats and dog :)

I'm still tired from the trip, 20 hours in one shot Friday with 10 on Sunday and 6 on Monday and not a whole lot of sleep since Thursday.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 10:53:40 AM »

I just saw you and her. She's beautiful and already has you wrapped around her finger (at least it seems that way). Thank goodness she doesn't scarf all the food! I wish we could leave food out for our dog but he'd eat until he puked (but we have the dog food bag out in the open and not once has he gotten into it).

Congratulations!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 08:45:35 PM »

We were playing outside, I'm a bit more lenient then.

She was at the vet today to make sure all was good. The vet agreed with our assessment of under weight and needs to build strength but otherwise healthy. He said the next round of shots is up to us, so we'll see. Probably a parvo and a rabies.

She knows where the treat bag is. She's good with sit and I taught her "gentle" today when taking a treat. We're still working on "stay". Not a bad run of things to learn in 4 days.

She does love her treats, and surprisingly since we bought them at Walmart they are very good... I don't like the others in the line, but these are made in the US from US raised beef.

Sustainablehome

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 09:57:56 PM »

Nice! Yes, Parvo. This month it has been 7 years since we lost our pup to it.

Good news about the vet and how quickly she is learning!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »

It's always hard losing a dog.

We've started adding some water to her dry food and that seems to be working. She's growing, no missing that. She actually went down the stairs today, that and bouncing. She seems to fine with new people, she met our friend's son and she's latched onto him (literally and figuratively).

Pages: [1]   Go Up