Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off grid, final frontier? Forget it  (Read 602 times)

Spence

• View Profile
Off grid, final frontier? Forget it
« on: August 31, 2016, 07:45:07 PM »

I always took a measure of comfort in the fact I could BO into some remote off grid environment. But
now I need to re-think, as Shatner says, "to boldly go" further. Further out means of course "slim pickins" in real estate as time goes by. Just googling "off grid", I find millions who have already gobbled up my potential survival real estate geography. They even have TV shows that follow the lives of these survivalists. So much for privacy.  I'm supposed to find entertainment value from the show, but has a waiting survivalist, I tend to see a potentially hostile future neighbourhood who have now coalesced into a armed community.
I watch it with aview of my placement in the scheme of things, and the conclusion is the subject is a competitor.

The scariest tipoff that reveals that this off grid domain is no longer viable for me in an emergency, is the government taking a detailed but feigned casual interest in the people moving out there. I don't buy it. The government taking a feigned interest in anything, watch out!. They probably have a team measuring out the natural resources being used, and then planning follow up new laws to make them conform when the SHTF. Personally, I think these areas are where I do not want any government staking any interest at all. If you don't believe there is any need to panic, check out the attack on the new age wheeled mini home people, who were smart enough to find a solution out of their mortgages. The trailer MFG are all in an uproar and demanding legislation against them. This of course just what the government wanted.

I have two site examples. The first is the canadian government dutifully showing what types of hydro power being used by the aboriginals, and other remote locations of the country.  You will note they take it on themselves to define "off grid", as if the concept was their's, even revealing their notes on how many people use what power, etc.

https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1314295992771/1314296121126

The next is the government's getting cozy with the various communities that are starting up. As a survivalist, I would want to stay away from any community that still feels it needs the government as a crutch, and allows legislation to be imposed and geared to survival communities and their unique environment. The cute photos may seem just that, but the government should be sent the message now in case it feels they are looking at the start of a new settlement, as in the black and white dust bowl photos.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/7-places-u-s-can-live-sustainably-off-grid/

So perhaps I need to be setting my sights further off, to that environment of shear hostile nature where even Wild America would not even venture to film the wildlife. Either that or use that ancient barter system, the mighty buck, to purchase that land now.  >:( But I guess not, because most likely it'll be federal property.) I know one thing for sure, my pelton wheel will always be turning for me and maybe a couple of friends, and anyone else suffering because of water flow or not getting enuff beaver pelts had better find another spot, because I'll be living in my own personal nation.

Hey, I just realized even my attitude is "off grid".   ;)   

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:56:05 PM by Spence »

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Off grid, final frontier? Forget it
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 09:51:35 PM »

In Canada "Crown Land" would come up for sale every once in a while, usually somewhere truly remote. I don't know if it still does though.  I've toyed with the idea of buying an old mining site in northern Ontario a time or two.

Sometimes you don't have to be truly remote, but far enough away from large populations of people to make getting to you difficult or time consuming. My friend's uncle's and grandfather's farms are far enough way and in areas with smaller populations and not many neighbors that they would both be good locations.

Honestly, with some of the off balance people out there forming "survivalist" communities I'd rather find an area with a small farming population. The problems with some areas of the US where a lot of "survivalist" and "preppers" are moving to is that there will be some nuts and you can be sure the government is looking at those areas.

My friend's uncle's has a couple of springs on the property and is cut in half by a small river. There's plenty of wild life such as deer and wild turkey around there and we're thinking of restocking it with pheasant. We can get 100 chicks for $40.00, the big cost is building a 100 yard by 20 yard run with 14 foot high chain link. For $120 we could get 300 chicks, raise them and set 200 free while keeping some to start a new batch of chicks the following year. The wild turkeys will kill the smaller pheasants, but if we can release 200 or so for a couple or three years the wild population will be self sustaining. Then we could hunt pheasant whenever we wanted or just grab some from the run.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Spence

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »

Watching Port Protection, I started to get an interest in the geography of Prince Rupert, BC or in the back roads(logging roads really) of that area. This option only available if a lot of time is available to relocate as I'm in Ontario. It's a damp climate with a lot of rainfall, but a huge expanse of choices would be available. Cultivation is in small patches of 1 to 3 acres and the soil more acidic than loamy, but I'm guessing. Running streams for hydro and springs for potable water would be no problem.  Then of course the west has the enviable Halibut! I'd be fish'N chipin' myself to poor health. I'd be happy to finally start prospecting BC. 

The other location is northern Ontario which is pretty bleak up in the georgian bay area. Mostly short conifers and plants able to hold out the bitter cold. Soil nothing to brag about. But with the early thaws becoming a norm, the far north will probably become a shipping lane open to the west all year. Migration would increase. The geography is old precambrian with a lot of metamorphic rock, and not much 'nature sculpting' sedimentary(caves,overhangs,etc), So building material would be whats laying around above ground.

The chicken idea is good. Before I sold my side lot of clear 4acres, my neighbour and I were planning on moveable coops on a free range(Balfour method). We'd go RI Reds for duel breeds. In the survivalist case, I think I would pick breeds that go broody, and there's not to many of them that show the signs. I forget the names of the 3 breeds that have a high success rate, and the RI wasn't one of them. The plan fizzled out when he had problems with his horses, and I was occupied with something else.

So I sit out the days hoping as we all do nothing happens, but I wish all the people here successful preparation anyway. One things for sure. If Trump gets in, there won't be a friendly Mexican to help any of us southward.         

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:10:44 PM by Spence »

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 11:27:49 PM »

BC has a lot of micro climate areas that are quite warm where you don't have to be right on the coast and don't have to worry about a tsunami :)
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 11:05:42 AM »

I live in bc, and you are in for a big surprise. Logging companies "own" most the crown land up here. The get it on lease from the government then gate it up. Easiest way to get access to get a placer miners card and buy a claim, the key for the gate will work on all the gates in bc. Then there's the government claiming everything else as wild life habitats, it's getting very hard to explore, especially by vehicle. They dig tank traps and place boulders everywhere so you need at least 35" tires and lockers to get around and pretty much every location that's exesable by stock or small to averagely modified vehicle (anything under 6" lift) is gonna be swamped with every local red neck wanna be mud bogging, drinking, and shooting guns. I like to get away to remote private locations and built my jeep for it (d60's, 37's, v8stretched, and lockers) I go as far as she can, literally the middle of no where and I still see atleast 2 people a day in vehicle's and a few hikers camping.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:50:07 PM »

Government is always sucking everything up. I keep waiting for the tax on air.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »

LOL the utility companies here are putting up wind turbines as fast as they can. Our state has 3800 so far and they plan a big push to put up another 1000 next year alone. The idiots are protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline going through the state for what reason I can't imagine. The fools want cheaper gasoline prices will a pipeline bring in crude to the refineries makes sense to me then. These people need to get a life. You can't see a buried pipeline but you can see wind towers from miles away???? Guess oil is bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up