Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracking deer  (Read 537 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Tracking deer
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »

Well, another successful year of hunting. We ended up having to track a deer, and I ended up doing most of the tracking. I found that I am pretty good at tracking blood trails, including trying to think like the deer and anticipate where it was going, and that a 1000 lumen flashlight and blue filter works great during the day.

I've never had to track a deer before and those in our party who have been hunting longer than I have quickly fell into letting me lead after I found the first two or three spots of blood. There wasn't much blood - a drop or two about the diameter of a pencil, and I'm tempted to say that it was about 50% luck. I'd lose the trail but then find it again. It was interesting, when I'd lose the trail and go back to the last sign I'd see what possible travel options there were and someone would find the next sign on one of the optional travel paths and we'd follow it from there.

We didn't find the deer that day, but someone did get it the next day so we didn't have a wounded deer out there too long.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Gungnir

• View Profile
Re: Tracking deer
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »

Good job!!! One piece of advice from a survivalist point of view. Your dinner won't need tracking with a well placed head shot. You risk destroying the trophy part of your deer, but you know 100% there will be no chance of loosing your dinner.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:56:51 PM »

I only take sure shots, two or three people shot it that day. I don't care about trophies, I'm all about the meat :)
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Bear Foot Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:47:41 AM »

I always carry toilet paper when I am tracking, and leave a square every so often at the blood drops or tracks.. 

If you lose the trail it gives you a good sense of the precise direction they were heading. 

It's especially helpful in Soybean fields or tall weeds where it can be difficult to tell where you saw the last signs.

If the trail is going into the woods, it also shows you the path back out which can be handy if it's getting dark.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »

That's a good idea. Where we hunt it is fairly easy to tell where you've been, but since I always carry a part roll of toilet paper with me I'll keep that tip in mind :)

Gungnir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »

Also, blood tracking lights are cheap and work wonders!

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »

I have a 1000 Lumen flashlight and use a blue filter, works pretty good. It worked great with no snow on the ground during the day, the blood appears black which does stand out well although it would be better at night. The blue filter cost me $7, so less than a dedicated blood light

My 6 D cell Maglite with a krypton bulb and blue filter isn't bad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up