Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instant hot cocoa / chocolate recipe  (Read 236 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Instant hot cocoa / chocolate recipe
« on: February 05, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »

I've gotten tired of instant hot chocolate / hot cocoa with artificial sweeteners and ingredients that I can't pronounce in them. I can find one local store brand that has sugar, but it still has some ingredients that I can't pronounce. So I did some internet searches and came across a few recipes. After some trial and error I have come up with a recipe I like:

2.5 cups of dry milk (Preferred: Hoosier Hill Farm dry whole milk / alternate: half no fat & half Nestle Fortificado Nido)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (For "Hot Cocoa": Hershey's Natural 100% Cacao, not the Special Dark / For "Hot Chocolate": Dutch processed cocoa)
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch of cayenne pepper

UPDATE:
For a traditional "Hot Cocoa" use Hershey's. For "Hot Chocolate" use a Dutch processed cocoa. Links to the cocoa and milk powder I used a few posts below.

Mix it up in a big container, I use a large Rubbermade container with lid. I use a fork to mix it - slowly or you'll get cocoa all over the place. Once I have it mixed pretty good I put the lid on the container and shake it for a minute. Leave it to settle for a while.

To make a cup of cocoa:

Get some water boiling
Fill your chosen mug up 1/4 to a 1/2 with your cocoa mixture (depends on taste - you can always add more)
Pour enough boiling water into the cup to cover the cocoa mixture
Stir with a fork making sure to get it mixed well
Fill the rest of the way with water
Drink and enjoy :)

Notes and Comments:

I tried the recipe with all no fat dry milk and it wasn't creamy enough. I tried it with Nestle Fortificado Nido and it was too creamy, it had too much of that "oily" taste that canned whipped cream gives it. A half and half mixture was just right, low fat dry milk may be right but I haven't tried that yet.

The recipe originally called for a teaspoon of sugar, it was too much so the next batch was just a big pinch and it was just right for me.

The cayenne pepper doesn't really do anything for the taste, but according to the guy who did the original recipe the capsaicin of the cayenne pepper helps with the flavor on a chemical level. Seems to work so I keep it up :)

Most of the recipes out there call for Dutch processed cocoa. The difference between natural and Dutch processed is the PH level and thus flavor, Dutch processed cocoa has a neutral PH and has more of a chocolatey taste from what I've read. I'll have to order some and make a batch and report back.

I'll be doing a weekend with the guys at the end of the month and will have both batches (Hershey's and Dutch process) for the guys to try and give me some feedback. I'll report back on what they have to say.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:30:06 PM by Canuck In Denver »
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Instant hot cocoa / chocolate recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »

Today I got my dutch processed cocoa and whole milk powder. I made up a batch... a full batch by accident - trying to make anything with a 100 pound puppy in the kitchen is a bit hard. Making it with the dutch processed cocoa it does taste more hot chocolate than cocoa. I think I'll have to add a bit more cocoa to the recipe for it to be just right. So I'll have to do a bit of experimenting and see what I come up with and post the "official" hot chocolate recipe when I'm satisfied with it.

The whole milk I picked up has a bit of a different taste than the Nestle Nido, so I'll use more of it than the Nido.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:21:18 PM »

I tried a half batch of the cocoa (using Hershey's) with just the dry whole milk, none of the no fat dry milk. It tastes great! I'll have to try a batch of the hot chocolate (using the Dutch processed cocoa) and just the dry whole milk, maybe tomorrow. I'll report back on the hot chocolate when I make it.

The difference between the Nestle Nido and the dry whole milk is hard to explain. If you've ever put whipped cream from a can into hot chocolate there is a point where too much gives it an "oily" taste. Using straight Nido is way to "oily", half Nido and half no fat there is a slight "oily" taste. The dry whole milk doesn't have that at all, it's just like making it with regular whole milk.

Just so people know:

The Dutch processed cocoa I used is Wincrest: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BA6GX4U
The whole dry milk I used is Hoosier Hill Farm www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011GYDMOY

I will update the recipe in the first post.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »

Today I made a half batch using Dutch processed cocoa and just the dry whole milk. It's great, just like the good hot chocolate mixes you buy in the store.

Spence

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »

Don't get me going on cocoa!.  >:(  "She who will be obeyed" has an evening habit of having her brew while watching "her" programs while I await her next command, Arrgh!. Hopefully, maybe if I do the puppy eyes trick and whimper, I may get to watch a 1/2 hour sitcom during prime time. Good thing I have permission to watch my taped programs at midnight, when I usually doze off and miss most of them.

This is when I start to think that the cabin in the pine trees near that brook trout may turn out to be a vacation plan instead of survival. MMMmmm, survival by another name. Here's when she says, "your thinking of the cabin again...." and dutifully snap out of it as ordered.

I have to remember to take her special mug, you know the one guys, where it says, "Cocoa...better than sex" on it(rubbing it in she's good at). Then remember to put 2 heaping teaspoons of Fry's Cocoa in it, two tablespoons of milk, and two teaspn sugar(dark chocolate taste). I stir that in the mug until it's chocolate syrup. I fill it up with 3.25% milk(she can tell the difference), and heat that till slightly over drinking temperature, for that necessary cool off time(you figure). Once I put small mallows on the top hoping to gain her favor. Nope. I found them on the saucer. 

Maybe I'll get prime time one day. Hey, maybe rolling over will do it.  :(

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »

MMM Fry's cocoa, not a US thing. May have to put it on the list of food stuffs to get when I get around to heading up to Winnipeg. I can see it now as I come back across the US border ... "Anything to declare?" / "Yes, half a Suburban of Canadian beer, a quarter of chocolate, a case of HP sauce, way too many butter tarts, a case of hickory sticks, a case of All Dressed chips, maybe the odd other thing." LOL

I think if you use the cocoa recipe above, drop the sugar about 25% she'll be happy. If it needs a bit more milk, a splash of coffee cream (half and half in the US) ought to do it.

I remember when Homogenized milk was 4%, that's "whole" milk in the US. Back then "whole milk" in the US tasted like water to me. Of course, I remember getting milk direct from the farmer up the road too :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up