Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sockets and wrenches  (Read 294 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Sockets and wrenches
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:15:27 PM »

I'm a tool geek, I admit it. I can barely lift the tool box that has my wrenches in it and I can't lift all of my socket sets. Over the last year I've picked up some US made sockets and wrenches from thrift stores, etc and recently started going through them to see what I had. I don't have everything, but I have enough to do anything I may need.

While going through my sockets I had some Craftsman I didn't recognize some of the markings on. I decided to find out what deal was with the ones marked "Craftsman BE" and found a great site to look up information on US made tools -  www.alloy-artifacts.org. The site has a lot of information on the history of US made sockets, wrenches and other tools. It turns out that the Craftsman BE sockets had were made circa 1930's and of really good quality. Nice score for me.

While going through I noticed that I was a little shy on 6 point sockets, I have lots 12 point sockets - not quite everything in 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 drive, but damn near. So, I have a spreadsheet I keep everything in and a list on my phone of which of the Craftsman BE 1/2 sockets I have along with some others. I'm going to keep my eyes out for the Craftsman BE sockets on the 2nd hand market.

The local pawn shops will sell US made sockets for $0.50 a piece, not a bad price. Some pawn shops sort their US and foreign sockets and charge a bit more for the US made ones, while some just put them into big tubs and you get to sort through them. I'll be hitting the pawn shops up because at $0.50 each they are worth buying every one I can get. I figure if nothing else they can always be sold to people looking for them at some point in the future for more than I paid for them :)

Eventually I'll have every size in 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 drive and then I may just start looking at 3/4 and 1 inch drive... but those are damn expensive.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Re: Sockets and wrenches
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »

That's a great idea. I have been doing this for years and it has really paid off. No way am I going to pay new price for it when there is a deal to be had.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:24:58 PM »

500 sockets later and $273 lighter in the wallet ... still have a few to go. After 4+ hours going through 3 bins of sockets I had two boxes of sockets, one of 6 point and one of 12 point. I've got them all organized - Craftsman and other US makers. Craftsman are organized by who made them (yeah I was that anal retentive) for Craftsman. All are split up by SAE or Metric, then point (6 or 12), then drive size and shallow or deep.

I've almost got the master spreadsheet complete, I have them all recorded but I want to make a master that has all US made sockets so I can keep a list on my phone. I'll still probably pick up every one I can find though, but target the ones I don't have. Summer and garage sales, pawn shops and thrift stores to see what sockets and wrenches I can find.

I have to pick up one of those 64 drawer parts organizers and so I can keep them organized.

This is the site if you're interested in US made wrenches and sockets http://www.alloy-artifacts.org ... if you're a tool geek you could spend hours on it.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »

OK it's all your fault but thanks for the link. Spent about 5 hours going over tools in the link and found it rather fascinating. There have to be some links out there for wood working tools also if you run across a good one post it for us tool lovers.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »

It is my fault :)

Try this one http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up