Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bottle Cook Kit (Stainless Steel)  (Read 299 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Bottle Cook Kit (Stainless Steel)
« on: March 28, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »

I've been wanting to make a stainless steel bottle cook kit for a couple of years and finally got around to it. I like the idea of everything nesting together and taking up minimal space yet be able to do most cooking chores. It doesn't have a fry pan, but that is easy enough to add if I want.

The kit consists of:
- Condor H20 pouch (Amazon)
- Pathfinder School 25oz cup and lid set (web site)
- Nalgene 38oz wide mouth bottle (Amazon)
- Walmart 18oz stainless steel cup
- Stuff sack
- 2 bottle hangers (web site)
- P51 can opener
- Magnesium block and striker

The P51 can opener is tucked into the lid and has some para cord on it, the para cord has a loop on it so I can take the P51 off and clip it to something.

I also have a Stanley 24oz Cook set (Amazon). I had hoped that the Stanley would fit over the Nalgene bottle but it doesn't. It does fit inside the Pathfinder Cup and the Walmart cup. The lids for the Stanley and are interchangeable and will fit the Walmart cup. I added a key ring to the Stanley lid in place if the plastic tab and ground down the handle tabs a bit to make them easier to get on and off. It isn't part of the bottle cook kit, but it is a nice little cook cup set up on it's own.

The Pathfinder cup is nice since it has measuring markings on the inside, the Stanley has them pressed into the stainless steel which is even nicer. The Pathfinder does have holes for the bottle hanger (also known as a fish mouth spreader). The bottle hanger will need a bit of tweaking to hold the Nalgene properly, but that isn't an issue.

I went with the Nalgene instead of a Kleen Kanteen 40oz for a couple of reasons. The first is the ridge on the neck of the Nalgene that holds the para cord cap lanyard on, makes it much easier to tie para cord to and lower it into a stream or other source of water. It also makes it easier to fashion a bail for the Nalgene bottle. The Nalgene is also a bit thicker, so will survive a bit more abuse. It also came in a few dollars more than the Kleen Kanteen, but I think it was worth it.

I plan on adding a bit of light chain with a couple of small carabiners for suspending the cup of bottle over a fire. I may make a bail for the Nalgene out of uncoated aircraft cable / metal rope.

I'd like to add a titanium knife / fork / spoon set and a long handle titanium spoon to the kit, and maybe a Pathfinder bottle stove (web site) to round out the cook set. I may also replace the Walmart cup with and Olicamp cup because it also has measuring marks pressed into the steel.

Two Condor Gadget pouches will fit on the H20 pouch if I wanted to add extra storage to it, and a Condor Pocket Pouch would fit in the pocket on the H20 pouch or on it along with the Gadget pouches. I haven't decided yet. I may also add a shoulder strap to the kit.

Below are pictures of the cook set, the Stanley cup will be in another post.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bottle Cook Kit (Stainless Steel)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:39:26 PM »

The Stanley cook cup
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:53:13 PM »

So I'm looking at the bottle stove and I'm thinking it's the size of the Walmart cup for $5. Drill some holes in the bottom of the Walmart cup, cut out a notch for the handle of the cooking cup, drill some holes for ventilation and it's pretty much the same thing, aside from the raised holes. Four nuts welded would do the same thing, except that stainless is a PITA to weld I understand, and I ain't got the power to run a welder in the shop yet... but I do know a welder who might do it for me.

Then I was looking at a can in the pantry that would be the right diameter and a little taller so it should work.

The bottle stove is basically a hobo stove, but of a heavier gauge metal. So I could make a hobo stove out of a tin can until I can get the welder I know to weld on four nuts for me on a Walmart cup... or I buy the Pathfinder stove bottle.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:52:55 PM »

I made a bail handle for the Nalgene bottle tonight. I'll post pictures later. I used 1/16 braided wire and two ferrules. Basically you make a loop on each end of the wire that goes around the neck of the Nalgene bottle and the slack between the two loops is the bail handle. I've seen a couple of different methods, each uses a ferrule or a wire connector, but I went a slightly different route. Instead of making mine fixed my loops are slip loops and the bail handle can be taken off. I did this by crimping only one side of each ferrule.

I did this for a couple of reasons, one not to stress the wire when it isn't being used to hand the bottle, the other because I find the bail handle gets in the way of taking the cap off the bottle. My way gets me a bail handle when I want one and it can stay in the pouch when I don't need it. Since the wire doesn't loosen on it's own I don't have to worry about it falling off. It can also be used on either of the cups if I wanted, but I have more than enough to make another one to use on the cups.

I also want to add a bit of chain and a couple of S hooks to suspend the bottle or cup over a fire. I can hang the chain from a stick instead of making an adjustable pot hanger stick as some people do.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »

I added a small folding stove to the bottle cook kit. It's a bit larger than the Pathfinder cup stove, but it will work for a variety of cups, bottles and pots... and it ended up being cheaper. It's a Lixada I got from Amazon for $12.50 www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DY700HI, there are a few reviews on Youtube for those that want to check it out.

I made a mesh cap to put on the top of the stove for stability with the cups and it works well and fits in the little pouch the stove came in. The stove fits in the front pouch of the bottle bag. The stove can be used with sticks, alcohol (and other small) stoves and solid fuel like trioxine so it is versatile.

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »

Now that is cool. What did you figure the total cost was? It should be in every BOB

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:39:40 PM »

The Pathfinder cup & lid, 2 bottle hangers, Nalgene bottle, Walmart cup, stove and molle case come to about $95 including some shipping for the Pathfinder cup & lid and the bottle hangers. There's a couple of bucks in wire cable and ferules for the bail handle.

It's possible to save money by using a different bottle and making a small hobo stove. You can also eliminate the bottle hangers to save $6, but they were worth it since I wanted the Pathfinder cup and they were the cheapest place to get it. You use a small stuff sack and save the cost of the molle pouch.

The Stanley mug ran me another $15, but since it doesn't fit the bottle I don't consider it part of the kit ... although I may work up another one with it as the cup (needs a Nalgene Backpacker tapered bottle).

In the end I feel that $100 +/- is worth it for good gear that will last a long time. I'll either make my own alcohol stove or buy a Trangia for $15 to add to the kit.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »

As an FYI, see my posts on the Katadyn carbon filter https://forum.survivalistssite.com/index.php?topic=2490.0 and portable gravity filter https://forum.survivalistssite.com/index.php?topic=2491.0 that kind of round of went along with this. They add another $50 or so, but again money well spent.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:07:38 PM »

I added two feet of light chain, overkill for this but light enough, with three hooks for suspending the pot or cup over a fire using a stick. There is also a carbiner on the end, it can either slip over the stick or use when wrapping the chain around a stick and clipping to the chain.

I have some thin gauge sheet steel, some is stainless, I'm thinking of using to make a platform  for solid fuel tablets. I can use the alcohol stove platform as a template and it would go in place of the alcohol platform when using solid fuel tablets. This will put the tablet fuel closer to the cup or bottle when heating. I was thinking about the tablet fuels being very useful when you don't want smoke for some reason, or there are no sticks around. I have an ammo can full military trioxine tablets and  Esbit or Coghlan's fuel tablets are fairly cheap, Esbit tablets come in a couple of different sizes so you can have burn times of 5 or 14 minutes... nice if you just want to heat up a drink versus boiling water.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

We got some freezing rain last night and the truck was out so I ended up staying home since there was a 1/8 inch of ice on the windows, took until a bit after noon before I could scrape it off. Since I had some time I went into the shop and found my sheets of stainless steel and cut a hunk off to make the solid fuel platform.

I used the alcohol stove shelf as a template and traced it out. I ended up using my jig saw with a metal blade since the stainless was eating through the dremel wheels quick, it's pretty tough stuff. I made the tabs that go through the side of the stove about 1/8 inch longer than the outline figuring I could cut them closer if need be. After I got it all cut out I did a fit test and while not perfect, some of the cuts and angles aren't perfect so there's a bit of a gap in places, it fits well and will work great. The bench grinder rounded off the corners and the wire wheel smoothed out all the edges so there are no burs.

It fits in the pouch with the rest of the stove nicely. I ended up using a Condor molle "Gadget Bag" www.amazon.com/dp/B004IO7J1W/ I had laying around as my stove bag. It fits the stove, the chain and three trioxine tablets with room to spare in the main section of the pouch. I can fit quite a few Esbit tablets of both sizes in the rest of the pouch. The stove pouch can be attached to the bottle bag as it is now or removed and kept separate.

Pages: [1]   Go Up