Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead wood or poplar trees suck  (Read 305 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Dead wood or poplar trees suck
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »

The last couple of weeks I've been squeezing in some time to take down some of the dead poplars ("popple" in the local vernacular) on the edges of my property. Fortunately it's been nice enough temperature wise and dry enough rain wise for me to drop them into the field surrounding me on two sides. It's always a rush to get it down before the farmer starts working the field. I got about 6 or 7 of them down and cut up and have a few more to go. Tonight I worked for a while on pulling in the branches, getting most of the twigs (with a rake) and stacking the cut up sections. I'll still have some cutting on this to do to get it into firewood size and some splitting. It will be bonfire wood for my neighbor and I, I traded him a bunch of it for his two dead elm trees last fall. I still have more clean up to do and more trees to drop. Some of the trees will have to be dropped into my yard, so they can wait. I'll get the rest of the clean up done tomorrow (and Friday if need be) after work. From Saturday until done I will be taking the rest down one at a time and cleaning it up before moving onto the next tree.

I figure I will have at least a week before the farmer is in the field. I hope for two weeks so I can get some other things done, like burying the wire from the meter to the house (damn gophers!)
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dead wood or poplar trees suck
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »

Got the rest of the poplar trees cut down, at least the ones that I have to drop into the field. I have a bit of one to pick up and I'll be done. There are a couple of other dead trees I need to take down on the back row that I'll drop into the field and pick up tomorrow, but those aren't poplar.

Then I can cut up the smaller diameter parts and stack them for bonfire wood. I will have some longer pieces to cut up, but most is in the right lengths. Then I can split them and stack them for bonfire wood.

Almost done with this part :)
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dead wood or poplar trees suck
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 10:27:12 PM »

The past few weekends have been spent clearing the brush and burning it. I have all of the south side done, and have started on the east side. I still have plenty to get done but it's been going fairly well. Today I filled the burn cage four times, it's 3x3x4 feet of perforated steel so there isn't much left once it's done.

I'll have a few hours tomorrow to work more on the east side, but Sundays are usually fairly busy for me and I have some unexpected commitments thrown in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up