Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a mulch lifter  (Read 254 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Building a mulch lifter
« on: April 13, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »

I got tired of pulling up all the plastic mulch we lay every year for our gardens by hand. The idea I had about building a 3 point unit has kind of come to fruition. I used scrap steel I had and built one although rather crude it works kind of. I have been making some what I thought were improvements to it and it turned into too much over engineering. I have to cut off all but 6 of the sweeps I added to it and change the angle on the unit I think to make it work. I know for sure it will be under $100 to do this and I sure as hell don't want to pay $2500 for a factory built one either.
   The best part is it is even as screwed up as it is right now much faster than pulling it up by hand. I have it pulled off the tractor right now and in the shop to work on it. Since I moved the welder and chop saw up to the mower repair barn it is much easier to work on those things. I have a welder table that sits outside and I don't have to worry about sparks flying all over the place. It also makes it easy to just backup and drop the things I am working on off the tractor or pickup instead of having to drag them into the other shop and make a bunch of space to work on them.
    I also rebuilt an old post vice that was in an iron pile that I salvaged. I welded a 6x6 inch post to a very large disc blade and welded a mounting plate to  the top with holes drilled where needed to mount the vice then cut a hole in the bottom of the disc blade for the post vice leg. painted it all up and mounted the vice to it. It works great because I can move it where ever I want to use it and it is virtually indestructible. You never have to worry about room to work on things and you don't fill the shop with smoke when working with the welder either. Since the welding table is 4x8 foot you have a good large surface to work on things. One of the things I did was leave the top open and since it is made with heavy 2x2 inch steel tube with plenty of cross braces I never have a problem with having a open area to clamp things to. I welded tabs on the outside edge to have stops and a place that I can instantly square thing that I am welding. I have a buddy who is a welder by trade an he said he was going to build a table like that because it made a lot of sense to him to do it that way.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Building a mulch lifter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 04:52:22 PM »

I like the idea of the mount for the post vice. I picked up one last year for $15 and it's just sitting in the shop. Maybe an old steel rim as the base, will have to see what I can come up with.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Re: Building a mulch lifter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »

Well I fixed the problem with the mulch lifter not wanting to dig in. I welded a cultivator shovel in the middle of the cross bar and it works like a dream.
Pages: [1]   Go Up