Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chickens (and ducks)  (Read 248 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Chickens (and ducks)
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »

Well, the girlfriend finally got her chickens and ducks. They've been living in the spare bedroom next to my office for a couple of weeks until it's warm enough to put em outside. The chickens will be ready this week and the ducks have about another week. 12 chickens make less noise than 4 ducks, and less mess too.

Over the weekend we did some work on fencing around the chicken coop and some repairs, a free garden shed last year was just about perfect. Tonight I spent some time helping her make nesting boxes, there is still some work to do there but it won't take long. I have lots of scrap wood to make the nesting boxes out of. I'll have to run some electrical wire in the coop for a couple of lights and a couple of electrical outlets, there will be a need for heat lamps and possibly heaters come winter. I'm thinking of putting in three light circuits, one for a regular light, one for a red LED (night light basically) and one for heat lamps. I'm not sure on the heat lamps, I may just use a couple of switched outlets.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Chickens (and ducks)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »

Did some work fixing the chicken coop today. I replaced one of the doors with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and did some reinforcing. It really only needs one door. Picked up some chain link corners to make two more panels. We have a bunch of 4 foot high chain link so we'll be using that to make the panels, although they are about 6 feet high so there will be some overlap but since the chain link was free I'll take it. The panel frames are made and one section of chain link is on it, it will need another section (top) and then the other panel will need chain link. Once those are up the chickens can go outside.

So close to having them out of the house :)
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »

Sounds like you have been very busy. Wish we had time for chickens so for now rabbits will have to do.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:34:48 PM »

Not very busy, but it's been eating up my weekends lately. Insulation and some interior walls, plywood we picked up for $10 a sheet due to curl will be the bottom for most of the side walls. I can fix the curl with some screws and some weight (chickens ain't going to care) :) and just couldn't pass up the deal on two sheets of plywood.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »

Got the chicken coop insulated and a layer of poly up, well aside from a 2x2 section on one lower corner that needs insulation and the front.

Still have to put plywood on the sides and back and cut a chicken door in the front. That will be today most likely, along with the making the last fence panel.

Then the front will need insulation and it will be done aside from wiring and running power. Those last things can wait for now, we have all summer and fall to do it.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »

Got the last of the needs for the chicken coop and they're outside now :) Soon the ducks will go outside too... I can't wait.

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »

solar powered walk lights can be disassembled and repurposed to make indoor chicken coop lighting.... for late night egg picking.....

solar power LED security lights can be used to extend spring and winter daylight hours to increase egg production without aid of speed found in most commercial laying mash mixes.

for awesome recipes www.lionsgrip.com/intro.html if it lets you open the page..... which it was letting me for some reason today

William
North Central Idaho
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »

ok using the wayback machine i found the recipes still exist in the internet archive.....

https://web.archive.org/web/20120822190911/http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html so get there, copy the data down, find the original books that data came out of and tweek the formulas to fit your location and temeratures.....

William
North Central Idaho
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:11:56 PM »

The ducks are no more, they went to a friend a few weeks ago. The roosters went to someone today, so my yard is quiet now. The hens are laying, 5 eggs a day right now and there are still another 3 hens out there and 3 in the house.

I'll send the link to the girlfriend so she can look it over.

Pages: [1]   Go Up