Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

Helping you prepare since 2005!

One of the oldest survival / emergency preparedness / prepping sites on the web.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bushcraft  (Read 3405 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Bushcraft
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »

I've been slowly adding some food to the bushcraft kit. I picked up another two Mountain House beef stew pouches to add to the beef stroganoff and lasagna with beef as my backup food. I also have three cans of Spam in different flavors and a can of Chunky Country vegetable with beef burger. Other items include a pound of plain rice and some instant mashed potatoes. I'll end up adding Lara bars for snacks and trail food. I intend to take perishable food when I head out with it but I want some canned food that can be eaten straight out of the can if need be and some freeze dried for just in case. This way if I stay out an extra day or two, or something happens to the fresh food I have a back up.

I have the cans in a small nylon bag and the other food in a dry bag. I still have some spices and will add some more packets of instant potatoes to round things out.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll get out this fall, too much to do and not enough time, but I'll have to hope for spring.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:15:09 PM »

Added a 14.5 oz can of Keystone beef, yummy. I also added some more individual mashed potato packages for a total of 6. I think I'm good on back up food. I'm going to wait until the Aldi opens in the next few weeks to pick up the spices I want.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »

Nice, went and checked the label out since we dont have anyone nearby carrying the product and i was not familiar with it as such.  8 - 2 ounce servings it says... which is odd for 14.5 ounce can..... lol  but it works out to 560 calories give or take with about 1000mg +/- of sodium so its decent in that department.

to purchase online its $100 for 24 small or $85 for 12 larger 28 ounce cans.... not outrageous, though i suspect there would be a shipping fee on that.... gonna have to check my goto online food place where if we order over $35.00 its free 2 day shipping...... and we get a rebate with the group we belong to here n the several states.....

BD
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:27 PM »

Walmart here is carrying it. With their ship to store you ought to be able to get it at any Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=keystone%20meats&typeahead=keystone%20meat

The smaller cans are more expensive per ounce, but perfect for this instance. We've been using their chicken, ground beef, turkey, pork and beef for a few years in the larger cans. For a while their ground beef was cheaper than ground beef at any of the stores. All of it is good.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 10:20:39 PM »

I've been burning birch for the last couple of weeks to heat the house, so I decided to use some of the bark for my bushcraft pack. I like to keep some tinder in my packs, usually it's fatwood or some fatwood dust. I figured since I have a cord of birch I'll save all the bark once I have the fire in the wood furnace going. I'm keeping the thiner, more papery bark, for my bushcraft kit. The thicker bark I put into old kitty litter buckets for use in starting the fire in the wood furnace or adding some oomph when needed.

So far I have one bucket and am starting a second, and I have 8 quart ziplock bags and a gallon ziplock bags for my bushcraft and camping kits. I'll pick up some dry pine needles and add some other tinder and have a nice quart or gallon bag in each bag and keep the rest around for later use.

Once the fire is going the birch bark isn't necessary so I might as well make good use of it otherwise. I should be able to get a lot, I've barely made a dent in the cord of birch I bought. I'll also be getting more birch this year from a friend's property since he has lots of dead birch.

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »

I like paper birch, I used to peel it from the live trees as a kids [outter layer and not get into the cambrium] and write notes on it to myself [no close nieghbor girls my age to write to] and make treasure maps to follow.

but for your desired use it will work decent enough.  Pitch pine was/is always my go to favorite, but it is plentiful around here, and birch not so much..... in fact I lived here for 4 years before i found a decent stand of birch in the area.... mostly cottonwood and locust [which is harder than iron, i broke a handle in an 8 pound maul and stuck the maul maybe an inch deep, and it was a good handle before hand!!]

we dont really have decent hardwoods here, tamarack being the next step down from birch in BTU's, followed by duglas fir and the pine families... with the worst a step up from cottonwoods are the white fir, spruce and western hemlock.  Western Red Cedar is used for kindling, we dont have the other cedars here either....

I read as a kid old timers used bird nests for tinder, but any i ever found were not really tinder type materials... though in the right forest many nests contain different moss plants....

William
Idaho

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

I use fatwood as well, some I've turned into powder like the "Maya Dust" some like and some shaved along with pieces. No fire kit I have is complete without a magnesium block and some cotton ball/petroleum jelly starters.

I watched someone on Youtube testing a bunch of fire starters and cotton balls coated in petroleum jelly worked about the best, especially when you factored in the cost.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 04:29:20 PM »

I saw a review on Youtube on the Orca Tactical water bottle bag. It's a bit bigger around than the Condor as well as a bit taller on the main section. The pouch on the front is also a bit bigger, and it has a second zippered pouch on the bottom. I decided to give it a try and see what I thought of the quality and usefulness for my water bottle kit.

With the slightly larger diameter I found that it is easier to get the bag with the water bottle and cups in and out, a plus. There is also enough room in the top to store the shoulder strap or a small container of something, again a plus. The bottom pouch will also store the shoulder strap, or it will store the three tins I keep my fatwood dust, fatwood shavings and birch bark with some room left over, another plus. There is a downside, but not much of one - due to the zippered pouch on the bottom the bag doesn't really stand up well. I suppose that if it was completely full with a small round container it would stand just fine.

It comes in a variety of colors, including Coyote which the Condor does not, and for a buck more I think it works very well and is worth the price. I wanted a Coyote colored bag to go with the Coyote color of the backpack. I'll use the Condor bag with the Stanley cup or find another use for it. The quality is good too.

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »

The Orca bag actually sounds like a nice one.... as with any kit, time will tell and piecing a kit together like you are is usually better than buying what someone thought was their best "all in one" set up.  dollars and cents matter, but then so does quality and convenience.   If it works better then excellent, as far as standing alone and not falling over.... sew on a support stick ;-)

William

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 11:00:10 PM »

Yeah, I prefer to put together my own kits. I find that it is often cheaper than buying a ready made kit, especially when you factor in the cheap quality in most kits.

I'm not worried about it not standing up to be honest. I think that will resolve itself if I decide to get an alcohol stove and put it in there. If the pocket was full I think it would stand up better.

I was at the local Walmart the other day and they had the UCO Esbit type folding stoves for $1.50, so I bought two since I already have one. I also picked up a UCO spork tool for $1.00 and a Walmart brand knive / fork / spoon for $0.50.

One of the stoves went into the old bottle bag with the Stanley set and the Walmart knife / fork / spoon set. It's the start of another kit.

If I'd been thinking when I was in the store I would have bought all the stoves and given them away as Christmas gifts next year. I've given away little things like that to a few friends, a buck or two spent on sale items of the survival variety.

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 02:24:21 PM »

oh boy, esbit stoves for a buck..... and ou can still get fuel tabs for them without a lot of trouble.... very inexpensive items even to cache in a bucket that have use..... though not sure how fuel tabs would hold up being buried..... but i reckon stored with oxygen absobers and usch they should do fine.... [thinking outloud]

multiple small kits, cache, nothing wrong with keeping on top of decent items and ideas.....

The great wal-mart of china is a 70 mile one way trip for me..... and their online site doesnt load very well for me... lol

William
Idaho

William
Central Idaho

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 10:22:30 PM »

A small .30 caliber ammo can will fit in a 5 gallon bucket with lots of room to spare. Of course you can also double vacuum seal them too.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 10:33:44 PM »

Did a bit of shopping today and ordered a few things for the bushcraft kit. Once they arrive and I can play with them a bit I'll post a bit about them. All of the items are cooking related, aside from a haversack type bag so I have something smaller than the backpack for a day hike or to keep in the backpack and use if I leave camp for a bit of exploring or whatnot.

There is one other cooking related item I want to get, a GSI stainless steel 8 cup coffee percolator, but they're a bit pricey right now. I have a larger one that I can take for now, but I want the smaller one to keep in the kit since it is more transportable.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »

Yesterday I got the cooking stuff (and tins) in the mail. All of them are from www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com. I have their 25oz mug and like it well enough. This round I bought the fry pan and lid, 48 oz cup (small pot), 64oz Bush pot, alcohol stove and the kettle with filter (the filter will fin in the 25oz cup). I also bough 4 rectangular tins and 4 12oz screw top round tins. The round tins are larger than I thought, but will work well.

I was at Walmart and picked up a set of two stainless steel plates with collapsible silicon cups (2) and knife / fork / spoon set (2). At the posted price of just under $7 it was the cheapest stainless steel plates I could find. They rang up at $2.50 so I went back in and picked up the last two sets they had. One set will be with my bushcraft kit and the other two will be with my camping gear.

The alcohol stove is nice to have. I have the folding wood stove that will work with an alcohol stove or solid fuel tablets so I always have options on the fuel I use for it.

The fry pan, cups and knife / fork / spoon sets from Walmart go in the red bag in the pictures I'll post. The Bush pot, 48oz cup / pot and kettle go in the blue bag in the pictures. The alcohol stove goes in the bottom of my bottle kit, or one of the round tins fits tight but does fit.

The bottle kit will always go with me, the fry pan most likely as well. I'll take the others as needed depending on what I plan on cooking. This way I have enough cooking gear to cook whatever I want and it is fairly light. It isn't titanium light, but then again it also didn't come with the titanium price either.

Although I'll be keeping these in my Bushcraft kit I won't be shy about using it for hiking and of course if I have to bug out it will go with me.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »

Got my Helikon-Tex bushcraft satchel yesterday. It is large enough for a day hike and with a bit of MOLLE on the front and back I can add a pouch or two, or my bottle carrier, and use it for a light overnight trip.

I was screwing around in the shop and came across a "baby" or "belt" hatchet I got with a tool box of old tools for $10. It's 12.9 ounces, 4 3/8 inches from bit to poll, 2.5 inch bit and 1 7/8 inch poll. It had a beat up and cracked hammer handle on it, that had to go. Ideally, I'd like to find a 10 or 12 inch hatchet handle but the shortest I'm currently finding is 14 inches. I think it would be a great size for day hikes where I may want to split some small wood for my folding stove, it ought to come in at just over a pound with handle.

I also picked up another small axe about 2 pounds, will have to weight it later. It was on a handle more appropriate for a 3.5 pound head, and the grain on the handle was crap. I'm thinking a 19 inch handle for that one to go along with the 24 inch I have for the one I bought last year. I still haven't gotten that one together, it may need a weld in the front of the eye to shore up a crack that may have been there since it was made... but better to be safe than sorry.

I think I'll be looking for a 3 or 3.5 pound axe at the thrift stores and flea markets, or if all else fails eBay. I'd also like to add one or two that are in the 4 and 5 pound range. Those are a bit big for bushcrafting, but would be great for longer camping trips. Besides, when I'm not preparing for alien invasion, pandemics, earth/climate changes, the zombie apocalypse and the economy crashing I'm a dyed in the wool old tool geek so they'd fit more than one role in my world :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up