Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bushcraft  (Read 2706 times)

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Bushcraft
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 10:07:28 PM »

Got my last piece of cooking gear in today, a GSI Glacier stainless steel 8 cup coffee percolator, the perfect size for camping.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 09:52:38 PM »

After two tries making a handle for the little hatchet head I had laying around I finally got it, well 99% anyway. I used the bottom end of an axe handle that I took of one I bought that was in rough shape for the most part. The first time around it wasn't quite right and I ended up cutting it off and drilling and hammering it out of the hatchet head. I made sure before starting the first time that I had an extra 2 inches just in case. The main problem I ran into was due to the inside of the eye having two scallops on each side, I ended up having to file in grooves for them. The handle is actually a bit lower than the top of the eye, but given that this is for very light duty chores I figure it will work well enough.

Using files took quite a while the first time around. The second time around I used files just for the initial sizing at the top and then a new (to me 6 x 48 inch Craftsman / King Seeley from about 1950) belt sander to finish the rest. If I'd taken 1/8 inch more it would have fit flush with the top of the hatchet.

I'm sure the handle isn't perfect, but it will work for what I need it too. And it's the first time I tried to make an axe handle, even if it was just putting on a new eye section. I looked all over for a handle and wasn't able to find any that I really liked or where small enough, and I hit some good web sites of tool handle makers. There are no markings on the hatchet head so I have no idea where it was made or by who. I've had it kicking around for a few years and it was only recently that I decided to use it for something.

I want to make a belt sheath for the hatchet, then it can be worn on a belt or just kept in a pocket in the pack.
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 10:37:19 PM »

Hit up the flea market a couple of weekends ago, was looking for axes again :) I found a no name 3 pound 9.5 oz axe and a Plumb Hudson Bay style axe (or hatchet) coming in at 1 pound 11.7 oz. I've been wanting a Hudson Bay pattern around 2 pounds and found one. I got both for $15, far less than the Plumb is worth on it's own. I ordered two 19 inch handles and a 24 inch handle. The Plumb will get a 19 inch handle, the other will either go on the Collins I picked up earlier or the Mann. The 3 pound 9.5 oz one will get either a 24 or 28 inch handle, but the place I get my handles was out of 28 inch handles. I may try another manufacturer.

Initially I couldn't tell what brand the Plumb was, but I figured for $7.50 it was worth picking up since I could tell it had good steel. After some wire wheel time I could make out the Plumb logo and was VERY happy.

I normally use Beaver-Tooth Handle, but I may try House Handle since they have 28 inch handles in stock... but House doesn't publish their shipping rates, but do say they only charge what they are charged. Maybe I'll call of email House to get a ball park shipping cost.

I still want some axes in the 4 to 6 pound range to complete my collection of sizes. Maybe I'll even find a double bit I like.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up