Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget... With the upgrades you can change the theme in your profile.
The "Original" theme is available again. Choose "Old SurvivalistsSite Theme (2.0) for the "Original" theme.

The links above will open in a new window.

Would you like to advertise on SurvivalistsSite.com? For more information email ads@survivalistssite.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doing the Farmers Market thing  (Read 58 times)

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
Doing the Farmers Market thing
« on: July 04, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »

Sorry I haven't been on the sight in a while. We have been working very hard in the gardens this year as we are doing 4 Farmers Markets. We have had a real strange growing season this year with wet cold weather then dry hot weather followed again by cold wet weather. It to say the least has been a roller coaster this year for sure. We do market Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and have very little time for anything else. Sales haven't been too bad with all the flakey weather and we are starting to get more veggies coming on in the gardens each week. Since we do smaller towns with a population of 10000 or less we feel we serve just the right amount of customers and don't run out of produce until the end of the market. The people we serve tend to be older and a lot of poorer people. I would venture to say at least half of these folks are on some kind of government program and some times 1/3 to 1/2 of are sales are with food program coupons. It is very rewarding and fun to sell fresh fruits and veggies to people and visit with them on how we grow our crops and how to prepare them for the table.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
Re: Doing the Farmers Market thing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:59:57 PM »

It's good to see those on government assistance buying fresh food.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Hiddenone

• You Got To Be Kidding!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »

It's not a bad program for those who are elderly and we always give them a little extra. I do have a problem with the younger ones who come in with 3 kids and cover in TATS. If they got money for those then why aren't they putting their money towards other more important things. This also gives us a chance to visit with people and if they are interested in gardening and trying to be self sufficient we talk a bit about our lifestyle. I have some who tell us they really would like a garden but have no space to plant one. We have offered them all the fruits and veggies they can use for coming and helping take care of our gardens and still haven't had any takers on the offer. Kind of funny they could have a free source of food and will not take advantage of it.
   The real interesting ones are the elderly who can't do any type of work in a garden but they have some real good stories to tell. I makes me sad to see them being poor after being successful and raising families who for the most part never visit them or try to learn anything from their experiences. Have one old guy who did some blacksmithing and welding for a living and he is a wealth of information. He has even offered to give me advice on setting up a small blacksmithing shop here on our place.

Canuck In Denver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »

Yeah, I have a problem with younger people who have money for toys and extras but not food. To be fair, some of them did that but exhausted their savings when things went south for them, but they are the minority I think. Sounds like lip service to me, those who won't take you up on the offer of food for work.

I spent a lot of time listening to my grand parents who lived through the Great Depression, so much so that I live the way I do and prepare for the worst as well as I am able to. Even when I only had a $5 a week budget to spend on prepping I was able to put aside food and other items... it was slow going but it was possible.

Blacksmithing (and weapon and armor smithing) is something I had lined up as an apprenticeship until I got married. I keep my eye out for old forges and eventually will run across one when I have money to spend on it. I know I can build one, but it's another thing on the list for when I have time.
My SurvivalistsSite.com Blog: http://blogs.survivalistssite.com/blog/canuck.php
My SurvivalistsSite.com Community Page: www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/
My Emergency Preparedness and Survival Basics Guide (ebook): www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/canucks_ebook.pdf

Want a FREE Blog or Community Page? Contact me by PM or email. 

Blueduck

• Blogger
  • Blueduck
    • View Profile
    • Central Idaho Martial Arts Center
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »

The coal forge is something you can build easy enough, if you find the right parts from and older one that is no longer usable or needing repaired.  I prefer a blower to bellows and those are hard to build but around here ive seen em sell for $100-150 in working condition. 

Anvils on the other hand, people thing are made of precious metal for yard art.... i cry when a near new anvil sells for $5 a pound and ends up a yard decoration, and get angry when some idjit trys to pass off an anvil that has no sharp edge left or chunks missing from the edge as usable [the horn or hardy hole maybe]  When my dad in law passed a few years forge we used, and it was constructed in his shop for his shop so it did not fit elsewhere and was sold mostly for scrap.... insert tears in my eyes here cause i miss both him and the forge and foundry set up...... but i do have the tools we made, hammers, tongs, and such, and some knowledge of metal working..... and the books

our farmers market is a joke, it turned into mostly a yardsale flea market once a week, someone recently opened up a downtown market coop for produce and such that started out as a good idea, but had to do other things to make rent on the space..... then one part owner died in an auto accident.... total shift away from decent ideas..... still open but not the same.

Ive a friend in Canada that does a market once a week, he bakes bread, sells out withi a couple hours and he bakes way to many loaves at fair market prices... has increased his production, and lends a hand at running the market as well.... I appluad folks that can do that sort of thing.... knowing that post collapse, the market will be what after a couple years helps to rebuild civilization if such can be accomplished.

William
North Central Idaho
Blueduck is an endangered specie...... a native born Idahoan

William
Central Idaho
Pages: [1]   Go Up